2021 Aviator Question

jackchester

twice in 2 weeks now I have had to have my new Aviator jumped to start. This last time I received a notice on my phone through the Lincoln way app that my vehicle was going into deep sleep mode.

Any idea what could be causing this issue? I freely admit I have not figured out all the tech in this vehicle yet but I am positive I am not leaving anything on or running.

Thanks for any help

coolerbythelake

Milwaukee, WI
Do you have phone as a key setup? I got that message once (took delivery 12/18) and I suspect it was because I was going into it too often to play around with things. I also noticed that anytime I'd get close in the garage it would recognize my phone and lower to greet me. It probably isn't anything being left on but I'd check it with your keys AND phone left inside and out of range just in case. Otherwise get ahold of the dealer. A brand new vehicle shouldn't need to be jumped unless something is wrong with that battery.

jackchester

Do you have phone as a key setup? I got that message once (took delivery 12/18) and I suspect it was because I was going into it too often to play around with things. I also noticed that anytime I'd get close in the garage it would recognize my phone and lower to greet me. It probably isn't anything being left on but I'd check it with your keys AND phone left inside and out of range just in case. Otherwise get ahold of the dealer. A brand new vehicle shouldn't need to be jumped unless something is wrong with that battery.
Thanks very much for the advice. I think it may have something to do with the Lincoln Way App. If I access the app I think it may be connecting to the vehicle regardless of where I am and perhaps causing a drain on the system. Who know's? Seems odd but I am just really confused although a bad battery certainly could be the cause. Looks like its a trip to the dealership for me to have it looked at. I do love love love this vehicle however.

Thanks again to all who replied.

coolerbythelake

Milwaukee, WI
If you have the Lincoln Way app open, it’ll tell you how it’s connected; you’ll either see Bluetooth Connected or Bluetooth Disconnected. The prior triggers the vehicle welcoming you and suspension lowering if you have that option and have it enabled. I believe I recall reading Lincoln say a phone can connect to it from over 100 feet away (I’m sure walls and certain materials reduce this). If you have an attached garage you could very easily be connected if you’re going into the app periodically. Curious to know what the dealer says so please report back!

eylarson

While the phone app is a possibility our experience wouldn't validate the theory. Our garage is next to our den where we have spent most of our COVID 19 time. We both have the Lincoln Way/Phone as a Key app. It's unusual for us to use the car more than once a week and often several pass before we go anywhere. Never had a battery problem.

coolerbythelake

Milwaukee, WI
Right. It won’t just do something until you physically get within a few feet of the vehicle. What I’m saying is if you are in your home and you OPEN the app it tries to connect to your car and if within range your car responds to it. My Aviator was my Christmas present to myself and I was in that app checking on it all the time like a child LOL. Then it told me it was going into deep sleep which I interpreted as its way of telling me “OMG leave me the hell alone already!” I’ve since calmed down and it hasn’t been an issue. I know I’m not the only one who gets a little overzealous with a new toy...

jackchester

Well finally got Aviator into dealer and the issue was the battery fluid was low which seemed simple enough to me. I am certain i did something stupid to contribute to the battery drain but I have since really sharpened up my focus as I exit vehicle. That was 2 weeks ago now and not a single issue since.

Thanks to all who responded.

Jack

bbf2530

Well finally got Aviator into dealer and the issue was the battery fluid was low which seemed simple enough to me. I am certain i did something stupid to contribute to the battery drain but I have since really sharpened up my focus as I exit vehicle. That was 2 weeks ago now and not a single issue since.

Thanks to all who responded.

Jack

Hi jackchester. "Battery fluid"? Perhaps did the Tech/Service Writer actually state that the water was low in the battery? Did the Dealer replace the battery or top off the same battery with distilled water? A new battery should not need the water/acid/electrolytes etc. topped off.

It is unusual that the battery in a brand new vehicle would need the water topped off/replenished, especially since the batteries in modern vehicle are generally considered to be "sealed" and "maintenance free". Yes, we can still pop/pry off the cell covers on many models, but that should not have been necessary on a new vehicle battery.

Essentially, if you had that problem with the battery, I hope they replaced it.

Keep us updated and good luck.

Last edited:

Corsart

Hi jackchester. "Battery fluid"? Perhaps did the Tech/Service Writer actually state that the water was low in the battery? Did the Dealer replace the battery or top off the same battery with distilled water? A new battery should not need the water/acid/electrolytes etc. topped off.

It is unusual that the battery in a brand new vehicle would need the water topped off/replenished, especially since the batteries in modern vehicle are generally considered to be "sealed" and "maintenance free". Yes, we can still pop/pry off the cell covers on many models, but that should not have been necessary on a new vehicle battery.

Essentially, if you had that problem with the battery, I hope they replaced it.

Keep us updated and good luck.
huh?

The battery is sealed, so it is impossible to "Add water". If the (relatively simple) test proved the battery to be weak, they would simply replace it.

bbf2530

huh?

The battery is sealed, so it is impossible to "Add water". If the (relatively simple) test proved the battery to be weak, they would simply replace it.

Hi Corsart. Are you questioning my reply or the OP's. I simply asked the OP some questions, made a few observations about most modern batteries being sealed (some "sealed" batteries still have caps which can be popped off), and clearly stated "Essentially, if you had that problem with the battery, I hope they replaced it."

All we can go by is the information the OP provided. And he stated the Dealer said "the battery fluid was low". So that would lead one to believe they inspected the water level in the battery. That is why I asked specifically what the Dealer stated.

Hope that makes my reply clearer.

Good luck.

Corsart

Hi Corsart. Are you questioning my reply or the OP's. I simply asked the OP some questions, made a few observations about most modern batteries being sealed (some "sealed" batteries still have caps which can be popped off), and clearly stated "Essentially, if you had that problem with the battery, I hope they replaced it."

All we can go by is the information the OP provided. And he stated the Dealer said "the battery fluid was low". So that would lead one to believe they inspected the water level in the battery. That is why I asked specifically what the Dealer stated.

Hope that makes my reply clearer.

Good luck.
My reply is to the issue. The battery is sealed, they cannot add water.

bbf2530

Hi Corsart. If the Dealer replaced the battery, all is well. If they did not, something is wrong. At this point, and until Jack lets us know, neither you or I know that answer.
So that is why Jack needs to check exactly what was done when the Dealer told him the "the battery fluid is low". Jack did not say the battery was replaced. So there is the open question as to what the Dealer did versus what they stated. You have not thought to ask Jack whether they replaced the battery or told him they somehow "serviced" it. Others have.

So "to the issue", I am still not sure why you quoted my reply. I stated most modern batteries are sealed. So unless you are calling the OP a liar, or have access to the OP's Aviator, you can not contradict what he said he was told by the Dealer...i.e. "the battery fluid was low".

I fully assume that Jack is capable of opening his hood and determining whether their battery is fully sealed, or a "sealed" battery with caps that still pop off. And the information I provided him states he should double check what the Dealer told him versus what the Dealer actually did, and what type of battery is in his vehicle. Exactly because of the fact most batteries are sealed, so there is an open question as to how the Dealer checked "the battery fluid".

Quoting someone in the manner you did..."huh?..." is not "to the issue". It implies the information they provided was incorrect. Everything I stated is correct. All you needed to state was, "The battery in my Aviator (or Lincoln whatever) is fully sealed, so there is no way to check or add water."

And again, Jack needs to check with his Service Invoice and/or the Service Department to be sure of what they actually did.

Good luck.

Last edited:

jackchester

Here is the reply I received. Sounds Ok to me, as long as I don't die again.

Thank you for following up with me. I agree, your battery is sealed at the factory, no water or acid to be added. I had opportunity to pull your repair order to include the technicians

Notes. My technician who worked on your vehicle is Noah. Noah’s comments on his repair order noted that the battery was slightly undercharged and needed to be fully

Charged. His comments went on to report that the diagnostic charge was a success and replacement was not recommended . Jon was the service advisor that helped you on that

Saturday. It sounds like we did a poor job explaining the diagnosis and for this I am sorry.

bbf2530

Thank you for following up with me. I agree, your battery is sealed at the factory, no water or acid to be added. I had opportunity to pull your repair order to include the technicians

Notes. My technician who worked on your vehicle is Noah. Noah’s comments on his repair order noted that the battery was slightly undercharged and needed to be fully

Charged. His comments went on to report that the diagnostic charge was a success and replacement was not recommended . Jon was the service advisor that helped you on that

Saturday. It sounds like we did a poor job explaining the diagnosis and for this I am sorry.

Hi Jack. That sounds like a much more logical and plausible explanation, since as Corsart and I previously stated, many/most/essentially almost all modern automotive batteries are permanently sealed and can not have the water level checked. And just to repeat, some "sealed" batteries can have the "sealed" cell covers pried off, while other have a solid top with no cell covers. That is why the type that was in your Navigator, and what was actually done by your Dealership, was important for you to find out.

I would only recommend you keep a close eye on things, since having a battery lose charge like that may point to an inherently weak battery which may be prone to early failure. The exception would be if your Navigator was sitting for a very long period of time (~2 weeks or more), in severely cold weather etc.

However, on the bright side...you have a 4 year/50,000 mile New Car Warranty on your new Aviator, so a weak battery will show itself again long before that time runs out.

Let us know how you make out and good luck.

Last edited:

Corsart

Ok thanks for the confirm that the battery is, in fact, sealed and maintenance free....something some of us know well enough before responding to your issue...and that the culprit was a low charge. It's also well known that infrequent driving or driving for short distances can result in a chronic low charge condition, probably owing to the amp drain of the on board computer. My recommendation would be a trickle charge or battery tender when you find yourself in one of those conditions. I'll also add kudos for your dealer's response here..the explanation and apology. Reassurance that they do seem to understand both the car and it's owner.

bbf2530

Corsart...Perhaps you are having a bad day and taking things out on the wrong people. Or perhaps English is not your first language. Or perhaps your reading comprehension skills are not very good. Or perhaps, for whatever reasons you may have, you are the Internet bully wannabe type. Personally, I don't care.

We all already knew the battery is "sealed" and maintenance free. However, not all "sealed batteries" are solid tops. Some have "sealed" cell caps which owners (and possibly some Dealers) do pry open, when they should not. And that includes modern, recent model Motorcraft batteries. Take a look under your hood, or at the online photos of Motorcraft batteries. Your lack of that battery knowledge does not change the facts.

Should a vehicle owner or Dealer pry open the sealed caps and add water? No. However, that does not change the fact that some owners do. However, a Dealer should never do that. And Jack's Dealer originally said they did. Or, there was a miscommunication to Jack that they did.

So as advised, Jack needed to check with his Dealership to determine what the entire story was concerning what warranty work was actually performed. Which he did. They told him the battery is sealed. As had all of us, you and I included. And they determined it needed charging.

Again, that does not change the fact that the "sealed" caps can be pried off, which would have been the case, if they had "topped off the battery fluid" (a story which did not make sense, as some of use told Jack). No one told him to fill/top off the water in the battery. We warned him that should not have been done by the Dealer. Those seem to be the vital facts you keep ignoring.

And to clarify, since you feel you are such an authority: You don't seem to know that the "relatively simple" battery test that the Dealer must perform for warranty reimbursement actually takes 2-3 hours.

Whatever the reasons you are having a bad day, everyone is here to try and help others, so grow up.

Last edited: