2020 Nautilus

Welcome to the busiest full-spectrum Lincoln community online!

Please join us! We'd really love to have you as a member...

Ronp42

Recently bought a 2020 Nautilus 2.7 AWD and joined this forum. Lot's of good reading here!
My question is I read the manual concerning oil change periods. I think I fall into the 5K range because I'm old and retired. We
don't drive much anymore, my wife is recovering from breast cancer and most of our driving is to the Dr's offices and out to eat.
Anybody trust the oil monitor system? The Stealer told me it would tell us when the oil needed changing???

2021Navigator

Oil monitoring systems have become more sophisticated over the last few years as technology has increased. At a minimum they are based on a calculation of your driving, i.e. rpm, oil temperature, short drive, etc. The more advanced systems are actually measuring properties of the oil like viscosity.

I'm not sure which system Lincoln uses but either one is far better than the older standard mileage routines that were listed in the manuals.

At a minimum it should be changed once a year and if you want to stick with the "every 5,000 miles" its cheap insurance.

Ronp42

Oil monitoring systems have become more sophisticated over the last few years as technology has increased. At a minimum they are based on a calculation of your driving, i.e. rpm, oil temperature, short drive, etc. The more advanced systems are actually measuring properties of the oil like viscosity.

I'm not sure which system Lincoln uses but either one is far better than the older standard mileage routines that were listed in the manuals.

At a minimum it should be changed once a year and if you want to stick with the "every 5,000 miles" its cheap insurance.
Thanks for replying

bbf2530

Recently bought a 2020 Nautilus 2.7 AWD and joined this forum. Lot's of good reading here!
My question is I read the manual concerning oil change periods. I think I fall into the 5K range because I'm old and retired. We
don't drive much anymore, my wife is recovering from breast cancer and most of our driving is to the Dr's offices and out to eat.
Anybody trust the oil monitor system? The Stealer told me it would tell us when the oil needed changing???

Hi Ronp. For at least several years, the "Normal" service Lincoln oil change interval is 1 year/10,000 miles (whichever comes first). That is the IOLM default. Most drivers fall within that range, even before the pandemic and curtailed driving.

"Severe" service and other driving situations (i.e. a vehicle used for towing etc.) will shorten that, as per the oil change interval instructions in the Owners Manual.

If you want to change sooner than recommended, so much the better. But 1 year/10,000 miles is the Lincoln required minimum recommendation.

Good luck.

Last edited:

Ronp42

Hi Ronp. For at least several years, the "Normal" service Lincoln oil change interval is 1 year/10,000 miles (whichever comes first). That is the IOLM default. Most drivers fall within that range, even before the pandemic and curtailed driving.

"Severe" service and other driving situations (i.e. a vehicle used for towing etc.) will shorten that, as per the oil change interval instructions in the Owners Manual.

If you want to change sooner than recommended, so much the better. But 1 year/10,000 miles is the Lincoln required minimum recommendation.

Good luck.
Thanks bbf2530:, Yeah I read that in the manual and thought since I don't drive 10K a year now, I might go with the 5K service intervals. Before I bought this 2020 Lincoln, I had a 2011 Ford F150 super crew Lariat with the 3.5 Ecoboost. It had 133K when I sold it. I did the 5K oil changes on it because we pulled a 23 ft travel trailer a lot. Don't do any of that anymore, my wife's being diagnosed with breast cancer and the Plandemic took care of most of our traveling. Kinds like staying home for a change now! Most of my driving now is back and forth to her Dr's and picking up takeout food. I try to take it on longer than 5 mile drives to heat the oil enough to hopefully eliminate moisture. Not sure about these engines today, I know motor oil's a lot better. If I did go more than 5K I would probably go with full synthetic. What's your feelings on that?

bbf2530

Thanks bbf2530:, Yeah I read that in the manual and thought since I don't drive 10K a year now, I might go with the 5K service intervals. Before I bought this 2020 Lincoln, I had a 2011 Ford F150 super crew Lariat with the 3.5 Ecoboost. It had 133K when I sold it. I did the 5K oil changes on it because we pulled a 23 ft travel trailer a lot. Don't do any of that anymore, my wife's being diagnosed with breast cancer and the Plandemic took care of most of our traveling. Kinds like staying home for a change now! Most of my driving now is back and forth to her Dr's and picking up takeout food. I try to take it on longer than 5 mile drives to heat the oil enough to hopefully eliminate moisture. Not sure about these engines today, I know motor oil's a lot better. If I did go more than 5K I would probably go with full synthetic. What's your feelings on that?

Hi Ronp. If it makes you feel better to change at 5,000 miles, do it. However, it is not necessary.

And it's the same story with a full synthetic oil. If it makes you feel better, use a full synthetic. However, it is overkill if you are changing at 5,000 miles or even 1 year/10,000 miles. All that is needed is a good, name brand synthetic-blend oil that meets the Lincoln/Ford specification listed in our Owners Manuals.

Following the 1 year/10,000 mile (max either way) Lincoln recommendation will have the internals of your engine looking good long after the rest of the car is possibly having electrical and rust problems for the second, third or fourth owner.

Also...are you putting more than 5,000 miles per year on your vehicle now? Just to play it safe...You do realize that you still need to change the oil at a maximum 1 year time interval, whether you put 10,000, miles, 5,000 miles, 500 miles or 5 miles on the vehicle in that year? Correct?

At least while you are still within the 4 year/50,000 New Vehicle Bumper to Bumper and 6 year/70,000 mile Powertrain warranties.

I am sure you knew that, but am playing it safe here. ;)

Good luck.

Last edited:

Ronp42

Hi Ronp. If it makes you feel better to change at 5,000 miles, do it. However, it is not necessary.

And it's the same story with a full synthetic oil. If it makes you feel better, use a full synthetic. However, it is overkill if you are changing at 5,000 miles or even 1 year/10,000 miles. All that is needed is a good, name brand synthetic-blend oil that meets the Lincoln/Ford specification listed in our Owners Manuals.

Following the 1 year/10,000 mile (max either way) Lincoln recommendation will have the internals of your engine looking good long after the rest of the car is possibly having electrical and rust problems for the second, third or fourth owner.

Also...are you putting more than 5,000 miles per year on your vehicle now? Just to play it safe...You do realize that you still need to change the oil at a maximum 1 year time interval, whether you put 10,000, miles, 5,000 miles, 500 miles or 5 miles on the vehicle in that year? Correct?

At least while you are still within the 4 year/50,000 New Vehicle Bumper to Bumper and 6 year/70,000 mile Powertrain warranties.

I am sure you knew that, but am playing it safe here. ;)

Good luck.
You make some great points, plus it will save me money. I just need to get out of the old mind set of more is better...LOL

tgara

Oil does degrade over time so you want to have it changed at least once a year.
Is that true (oil degradation)? Not saying you’re wrong, but my understanding was that the reason one changes the like in a vehicle was because of the accumulation over time of combustion by-products, resins, etc., depletion of additives such as detergents, etc. and not any real change with the oil itself. I always thought the oil component itself was pretty stable even under the stress of lubricating an internal combustion engine.

If you mean that the additives and other components added to the engine oil degrade, then I would agree with that and to change it periodically.

silverydragon72

San Jose, CA
Is that true (oil degradation)? Not saying you’re wrong, but my understanding was that the reason one changes the like in a vehicle was because of the accumulation over time of combustion by-products, resins, etc., depletion of additives such as detergents, etc. and not any real change with the oil itself. I always thought the oil component itself was pretty stable even under the stress of lubricating an internal combustion engine.

If you mean that the additives and other components added to the engine oil degrade, then I would agree with that and to change it periodically.
Correct its primarily the additives and contamination over time/use. Also if you have full synthetic the time frame is typically longer that it can be used.

bbf2530

Why is there a time limit on oil changes? Does oil have a shelf life? I don't think so.

Hi idaspud. No, pure oil in the container does not degrade with time. However, once the oil is in the engine, it does become non-pure/contaminated, and even more so the moment you start the vehicle the first time after an oil change and every time after.

While there are variables which could let someone leave the oil in longer than a year, automakers can not make a Maintenance Schedule for every contingency, so Lincoln vehicles currently have a maximum 1 year/10,000 mile "Normal Service" OCI to avoid issues with our 4 year/50,000 mile New Vehicle Warranty and 6 year/70,000 mile Powertrain Warranty. And shorter OCI intervals are specified for more severe service, towing etc.
Therefore, since the oil in the vehicle becomes more contaminated with miles/time, changing it regularly is still important.

On a related note: While oil does not degrade when sitting in a sealed container on our garage shelf, oil technology, specifications and requirements do improve and change with time. So that 10 year old bottle of oil on our shelf may no longer meet the minimum specification requirements for a new car. So using it can cause warranty issues later, if someone has a major engine failure that can be linked to oil (as rare as that is). T

The moral of the story is always use an oil that clearly states on the container that it meets the minimum specifications listed in out Owners Manual.

Good luck.

Last edited:

Idaspud

Hi idaspud. No, pure oil in the container does not degrade with time. However, once the oil is in the engine, it does become non-pure/contaminated, and even more so the moment you start the vehicle the first time after an oil change and every time after.

While there are variables which could let someone leave the oil in longer than a year, automakers can not make a Maintenance Schedule for every contingency, so Lincoln vehicles currently have a 1 year/10,000 mile Normal Service Oil Change Interval, and shorter for more severe service, towing etc. So since the oil in the vehicle becomes more contaminated with time, changing it regularly is still important.

On a related note: While oil does not degrade sitting in a sealed container on our garage shelf, oil technology, specifications and requirements do improve and change with time. So that 10 year old bottle of oil on our shelf may no longer meet the minimum specification requirements for a new car. So using it can cause warranty issues later, if someone has a major engine failure that can be linked to oil (as rare as that is). T

The moral of the stroy is always use an oil that clearly states on the container that it meets the minimum specifications listed in out Owners Manual.

Good luck.
Makes sense, thanks. Have learned a bit on this thread. I will change the oil in my Corvette now, mobile one, that is several years old even with very few miles on it.

peterk9

SUPPORTING MEMBER
I drive less than 2000 miles annually and make many short trips to the local stores. I have always changed my oil twice a year and that is usually done when I have the winter/OEM tires changed. A 10,000 mile oil change interval would take me to the end of my 48 month lease.:D

Peter

bbf2530

I drive less than 2000 miles annually and make many short trips to the local stores. I have always changed my oil twice a year and that is usually done when I have the winter/OEM tires changed. A 10,000 mile oil change interval would take me to the end of my 48 month lease.:D

Peter

Hi Peter. I am sure you were only joking, but just in case: The Lincoln Oil Change Interval is 1 year/10,000 miles, whichever comes first. So at the very least, you would need to change your oil once a year, no matter what mileage. ;)

I am in the same low mileage boat as you. Maybe 4,000 miles per year tops. So I change once a year.

Good luck.