2020 Ecoboost Fuel Injection

Black Label

SUPPORTING MEMBER
Burr Ridge, IL

bbf2530

I had read in the last couple days about the direct injection on the Ecoboost causing potential intake valve crud issues. The latest Ecoboost now adds port injection apparently to prevent that. Does anyone have any experience with the latest generation Ecoboost? Is a "catch can" still a necessity to keep the injectors clean or is the port injection preventing buildup?
Hi Black Label. To answer your question: No, you do not need to add a catch can to the DI/Port injection engines. The port injection "washes" the back side of the valves, eliminating the valve buildup issues which DI alone can sometimes cause.

Also, it is only a valve buildup issue. There is no fuel injector problem. And a catch can was not "necessary" just a bit of added insurance which some owners chose to add.

Good luck.

Black Label

SUPPORTING MEMBER
Burr Ridge, IL

Pasadenalocal

I'm reading the posts about DI and in one of them, it mentions that Ford has incorporated BOTH DI and port injection to solve the coking/crud issue with the intake valves. I have the 2.3L in my Corsair with a 12/19 manufacture date. When did Ford go to this arrangement and do I really need to purchase a catch can system? Further to this, is any kind of adjustment to the ECM required (i.e. a reflash of the computer) after an aftermarket system is installed? I plan on keeping this vehicle for a while and really don't want to have any mechanical problems when the warranty expires. I've heard horror stories about coking, turbo failure, and power loss on engines that reach 50-60K. Thanks.

bbf2530

I'm reading the posts about DI and in one of them, it mentions that Ford has incorporated BOTH DI and port injection to solve the coking/crud issue with the intake valves. I have the 2.3L in my Corsair with a 12/19 manufacture date. When did Ford go to this arrangement and do I really need to purchase a catch can system? Further to this, is any kind of adjustment to the ECM required (i.e. a reflash of the computer) after an aftermarket system is installed? I plan on keeping this vehicle for a while and really don't want to have any mechanical problems when the warranty expires. I've heard horror stories about coking, turbo failure, and power loss on engines that reach 50-60K. Thanks.
Hi Pasadena. The Corsair 2.3L engine is DI only. No port injection.

HTML