2020 Aviator

Ridgeman

Had this same "fog horn" sound on mine, started hearing it right about 50 mph...Service manager test drove the car and heard it as well, but couldn't figure it out. After taking a close look at the front end, the service manager and myself noticed that the hood and fenders did not line up just right, leaving a gap and over hang on one side, and the bump stops where not set at the right height. He had the body shop take a look at it. They where able to reset the fenders so they both a nice tight seam to the hood, and they also found that the hood latch needed to be lowered, and then reset the bump stops to the correct height. Once all that was done, there was no more "fog horn" sound at and above 50 mph...yeah it should be done right at the factory on a car that cost me 70k, but it is done now and all is well with it...
Which dealership looked at your car. My dealership claims they cannot hear it.

P51

I've had a 2020 Aviator since Nov 2019. It has exhibited the same sound under the same circumstances since day 1. The dealer has been unable to diagnose it. Can you forward any contact info for the dealer you used? I'd like to relay it to my dealer for reference. Perhaps there's a factory tech bulletin number for the fix that could be referenced as well.

G-346202

Is anyone noticing a bunch of noise from under the hood after the car is shut off? Noises like vents opening closing clicking. A series of noises after fully shut down. Seems very odd. I’ve read about all of the production issues. Wondering if these noises are related to an issue. My Aviator produced Dec 2019 supposedly issues fixed then but I’m not convinced.
MINE DOES this too. It has been stumping me since I bought in November. Please reach out to me at meetmallory at gmail com

Krash4011

MINE DOES this too. It has been stumping me since I bought in November. Please reach out to me at meetmallory at gmail com
Mine does this also. It seems to make the "clacking" noise when vehicle is turned off and then when opening the door to start vehicle. I am guessing it's normal operation for the Aviator?

dryla

Hi JoelB.,
I have a 2020 Aviator purchased in November, 2019 with vin number 18774. In December, 2019, we took it to Detroit from Charlevoix, Mi. On the way down with a following north wind, the ride was super smooth and quiet. On the return trip back north and into the north wind, we also heard the low grade "roar" above the 50MPH speed. It does not sound rotational but rather wind induced from some parts in the front -- hood, grille, radiator shutter system, or ??? I called our dealer and, of course, no one has brought this to their attention as yet. If you are getting this noise and I am also, others are too and some one will come up with the cause and hopefully a solution. I will make an appointment with the dealer shortly for assessment and see what comes of it.
This is a follow-up to my post. I have our Aviator in the dealership presently. It has been there for 3 weeks now. I took a copy of JoelB's post to them when I dropped it off. They did appreciate the information and today(3 weeks later) they said they used it to adjust the front-end sheet metal ie) fenders and doors. The bump shop manager said the noise is still there! They have contacted Lincoln Engineering and will get back to me after a representative from Lincoln looks at it. Fortunately, they are not giving up on the issue and are totally aware of the problem now. The bump shop manager said they can also feel some sort of vibration in the passenger seat floor and he thinks there could be some noise coming from the A pillar. I will update this post when I hear from the dealership, Lincoln Engineering or ??

If anyone has had this issue and have found the fix, I would appreciate hearing what you found to be the solution to this -- in order to pass it along to my dealership. Thanks.

cdrees2412

Bought our Black Label GT about 3 weeks ago, and just noticed that howling sound tonight for the first time.. had never heard it before, don't think I was going above 50-60mph. For those that have had this issue, has it been fixed and was it an easy fix? I hate the thought of buying a $90k car and then having them have to tear it apart to fix something and then never have it right. Hopefully there are some good news stories on this being fixed? Would love to hear about it.

Tmansfield

I just purchased a 2020 Aviator 3 days ago. There is a wind type noise coming from the front end when running 50 plus MPH. It’s not a whistle but more like a light “fog horn” type noise. Has anyone else experienced this? It reminds me of my latter rack wind noise on my work truck.
We have experienced the same issues. Aviator had been in the shop 5 times. This last go around they have had our car for over a month but nothing. We were finally told that it is a crosswind issue but they do not know how to fix it so we just have to deal with it. That is so totally wrong and we are going to fight it!

dryla

Bought our Black Label GT about 3 weeks ago, and just noticed that howling sound tonight for the first time.. had never heard it before, don't think I was going above 50-60mph. For those that have had this issue, has it been fixed and was it an easy fix? I hate the thought of buying a $90k car and then having them have to tear it apart to fix something and then never have it right. Hopefully there are some good news stories on this being fixed? Would love to hear about it.
I am the author of the thread just above yours. To follow up on what I penned on November 9. 2020, we have just passed 9 weeks with the car at the dealership. I call weekly, and the head of the collision shop says they are waiting on an interior A-pillar covering that Lincoln engineering has told them to try. The manager looked up on the Ford website while we were talking and said 10 had recently be produced and they are hoping to get one of this batch. It sure looks like Lincoln has identified the issue and is trying to come up with a solution. On a side note, I also notice that the outside of A-pillars in the pictures and brochures, along with the Aviators I now see on the road, have a different look as the pillars are black-no matter what color the car AND there is a moulding running vertically on each side of the windshield. Hopefully, there is going to be a solution to this. I can't believe most of the early 2020's don't have the same issue. My vin number is 18.774 so it is not the earliest of builds. If they get this cover and find that this is the solution after they install and re-test to see if the "howl" is still there, I will update this WHEN I get the car back.

Ridgeman

I've had a 2020 Aviator since Nov 2019. It has exhibited the same sound under the same circumstances since day 1. The dealer has been unable to diagnose it. Can you forward any contact info for the dealer you used? I'd like to relay it to my dealer for reference. Perhaps there's a factory tech bulletin number for the fix that could be referenced as well.
Oakland Lincoln. Oakville Ontario Canada

Ridgeman

I just purchased a 2020 Aviator 3 days ago. There is a wind type noise coming from the front end when running 50 plus MPH. It’s not a whistle but more like a light “fog horn” type noise. Has anyone else experienced this? It reminds me of my latter rack wind noise on my work truck.
Yes i have the same sound

Krash4011

I recently took my Aviator in for a different issue but, mentioned the "click, clacking" noise. Technician heard noises and said it was normal. Claimed that the vehicle recognizes the key and begins pre-startup procedures. Also if key is left in vehicle, it does this when driver door is opened. He also stated there is a TSB for this. I asked for it several weeks ago but, they have yet to produce it. On a side note, the Corsair loaner they gave me, made the same "click, clacking" noises.

ztrahan

I took the Aviator in finally when it started making a buzzing/vibrating noise between 30-40 mph. They adjusted the sunroof for the wind noise, now I’ve got an actual whistle at 40 mph.

car transporters