2020 Aviator

Joel B.

I just purchased a 2020 Aviator 3 days ago. There is a wind type noise coming from the front end when running 50 plus MPH. It’s not a whistle but more like a light “fog horn” type noise. Has anyone else experienced this? It reminds me of my latter rack wind noise on my work truck.

bbf2530

I just purchased a 2020 Aviator 3 days ago. There is a wind type noise coming from the front end when running 50 plus MPH. It’s not a whistle but more like a light “fog horn” type noise. Has anyone else experienced this? It reminds me of my latter rack wind noise on my work truck.
Hi Joel. Congratulations on your new Aviator! The cause of your noise is probably not this, but check to be sure your hood is completely closed. I recall a few people discovering that the hood adjustment bumpers were adjusted too high, causing the hood to be either shut but slightly raised, or not completely shut.

If it is not this, then make an appointment to have your Lincoln Dealers Service Department check the issue in case it is something mechanical.
And do not just tell them what is wrong, drop the car off and hand them the keys. Ask them to send someone with you for a short test drive and allow you to demonstrate the noise. Be sure the tech says they hear it too. This can help to avoid the dreaded "Could not duplicate customers concern" answer.

Let us know how you make out and good luck.

Jwildzza

I heard that Fri night in the rain at highway speeds. It seemed to start around 50 mph. The night before (dry conditions) I heard wind noise from the windshield area. Crazy that I didn’t notice it the 1st week...

Blueflame16

I had a small problem with the easy/exit seat feature with the seats moving forward instead of going backwards. Software reprogramed. All is good now. 0765FCD1-BF49-4EE9-9D02-617E905E3BF7.jpeg

dgoerner

no problems with mine so far, I have had mine since end of November, still no phone as a key, went Saturday, still having problems.

Mark4890

Is anyone noticing a bunch of noise from under the hood after the car is shut off? Noises like vents opening closing clicking. A series of noises after fully shut down. Seems very odd. I’ve read about all of the production issues. Wondering if these noises are related to an issue. My Aviator produced Dec 2019 supposedly issues fixed then but I’m not convinced.

bbf2530

Is anyone noticing a bunch of noise from under the hood after the car is shut off? Noises like vents opening closing clicking. A series of noises after fully shut down. Seems very odd. I’ve read about all of the production issues. Wondering if these noises are related to an issue. My Aviator produced Dec 2019 supposedly issues fixed then but I’m not convinced.

Hi Mark. Due to all the electronics, passenger easy entry/exit etc, a certain amount of "noises" are normal both before turning the ignition on and after turning it off.

Whether your noises are normal or not is impossible to determine over the Internet. If you think there is an issue, perhaps stop by your Lincoln Dealership and check another Aviator or two that are the same trim level as yours.

jkeaton

Winston Salem, NC
My son-in-law works for a Ford dealer. They have one specific tech who "specializes" in wind noise complaints. My son in law says it's a job he would never take lol. The guys best tool is a roll of painters tape. When a customer comes in with a wind noise complaint, he takes his trusty roll of tape and begins taping up body seams, windshield seams, side mirrors, etc. Takes it for a drive. Rinse and repeat until the source of the noise is identified. Then hands the car off to the body shop to deal with it. 😂

Mark4890

Hi Mark. Due to all the electronics, passenger easy entry/exit etc, a certain amount of "noises" are normal both before turning the ignition on and after turning it off.

Whether your noises are normal or not is impossible to determine over the Internet. If you think there is an issue, perhaps stop by your Lincoln Dealership and check another Aviator or two that are the same trim level as yours.

Thank you for the response. I will do that.

dryla

Hi JoelB.,
I have a 2020 Aviator purchased in November, 2019 with vin number 18774. In December, 2019, we took it to Detroit from Charlevoix, Mi. On the way down with a following north wind, the ride was super smooth and quiet. On the return trip back north and into the north wind, we also heard the low grade "roar" above the 50MPH speed. It does not sound rotational but rather wind induced from some parts in the front -- hood, grille, radiator shutter system, or ??? I called our dealer and, of course, no one has brought this to their attention as yet. If you are getting this noise and I am also, others are too and some one will come up with the cause and hopefully a solution. I will make an appointment with the dealer shortly for assessment and see what comes of it.

Ridgeman

Yes I have noticed that sound as well. Sounds like someone driving beside me with a Thrush Muffler

cardboard

While I was at the medical center today..a aviator come rolling in to let somebody off.
Man Please what a Beautiful SUV.
The wheels on it was awesome.

Talking about styling around.

Man please.
I would have problems going home

I envy the folks driving one I'd hate to park it in a parking deck with all the cars in there.

JG101

whistle but more like a light “fog horn” type noise.
Hi Joel - I wanted to pop in and see if you had that issue resolved. I actually had a test drive and experienced the same issue. Was wondering if its an on going problem before I make my purchase.

JG101

I heard that Fri night in the rain at highway speeds. It seemed to start around 50 mph. The night before (dry conditions) I heard wind noise from the windshield area. Crazy that I didn’t notice it the 1st week...
Hi - I wanted to pop in and see if you had that issue resolved. I actually had a test drive and experienced the same issue. Was wondering if its an on going problem before I make my purchase.

JG101

Hi - I wanted to pop in and see if you had that issue resolved. I actually had a test drive and experienced the same issue. Was wondering if its an on going problem before I make my purchase.
I was just told that the wind noise from the Aviator was an A-Pillar molding.

JG101

Hi Joel - I wanted to pop in and see if you had that issue resolved. I actually had a test drive and experienced the same issue. Was wondering if its an on going problem before I make my purchase.
I was just told that the wind noise from the Aviator was an A-Pillar molding.

G-575473

Yes. I hear it on my vehicle as well. Sounds like a howling sound. If you follow another vehicle, ie a transport truck the noise stops. There is definitely something vibrating causing the issue.

Ridgeman

Joel: I have the same issue on my Aviator. It sounds like a howling noise. If you get in behind a transport truck the noise stops.. It is definitely the wind vibrating something causing the noise.

SeanR

Had this same "fog horn" sound on mine, started hearing it right about 50 mph...Service manager test drove the car and heard it as well, but couldn't figure it out. After taking a close look at the front end, the service manager and myself noticed that the hood and fenders did not line up just right, leaving a gap and over hang on one side, and the bump stops where not set at the right height. He had the body shop take a look at it. They where able to reset the fenders so they both a nice tight seam to the hood, and they also found that the hood latch needed to be lowered, and then reset the bump stops to the correct height. Once all that was done, there was no more "fog horn" sound at and above 50 mph...yeah it should be done right at the factory on a car that cost me 70k, but it is done now and all is well with it...