2020 Aviator oscillation at 35 to 48 mph

Fusilierquattro

Austin
I got a new 2020 Aviator Grand Touring with 600 miles on it and car makes a rumble or vibration from the rear at 35 to 48 mph. Seems to diappear to 48 mph and doesnt occur below 35 ish MPH. I'm coming from 23 years of owning Audi Q7s and A8s. Getting a chink in the armor here and I think I might be regretting my decision.

Any thoughts?

bbf2530

I got a new 2020 Aviator Grand Touring with 600 miles on it and car makes a rumble or vibration from the rear at 35 to 48 mph. Seems to diappear to 48 mph and doesnt occur below 35 ish MPH. I'm coming from 23 years of owning Audi Q7s and A8s. Getting a chink in the armor here and I think I might be regretting my decision.

Any thoughts?

Hi Fusilier. Welcome to the Lincoln Forums. Congratulations on your new Aviator, and sorry your first post had to be about a problem.

Is it safe to assume you took this used vehicle for an extended test drive or two before purchasing and did not feel this problem?

Okay, so now there is an issue. Could be something as simple as an out of balance or out of round tire. But luckily, you have a nice long 4 year/50,000 mile New Car Warranty. So call the Service Department at your Lincoln Dealer and make a service appointment...and let them know you will need a Lincoln complementary loaner.

When you bring your vehicle in, ask the Service Writer to take a ride with you or to send a Tech for a ride with you so you can personally demonstrate the issue to them. Be sure you get them to clearly state that they hear/feel/see the problem. Then, let the Dealership properly diagnose and fix the issue.

Do not just bring it in, hand them the keys, tell them what you think is wrong and leave. If you take them for a drive and demonstrate the problem to them personally, and they state they feel it, you can avoid the dreaded "Could not duplicate the customer concern" diagnosis.

Let us know how you make out and good luck.

Fusilierquattro

Austin
I took it out, but I was in a pinch as I was replacing a Audi Q7 I lost in a rear end collision. I felt some occillation in the test drive and thought it was the lane assist as the steering was shaking at the SAME time. So the issue was there in the test drive, but I thought it was lane assist. Most of the test drive was either slow or fast. And this occurs in the middle only while accelerating which I was doing while passing across lanes as I pulled out from a highway Double back onto a 3 lane access road. So while accelerating I was going from the inside lane and slowly letting the car walk out to the outside lane of an empty access road. So the wheel was doing its "OMG your crossing a white line BS" and shaking and I was driving across raised lane dividers. Duh.

I just dropped the car off this morning. No loaner was provided, but they quickly courtesy car'd me to work with practically no wait and I was the only passenger. The service manager seemed good and actually notified me of a driveshaft recall although my VIN isn't in that range; however, he said all the symptoms are consistent with that issue. So we shall see..

I hope its fixable and that Lincoln steps up here cause I was going to take this car on a ski trip into the mountains From Christmas to New Years.

Thanks guys. So far. Its regrettable a new car has an issue, but Lincoln people seem nice and are doing their best.

Corsart

I took it out, but I was in a pinch as I was replacing a Audi Q7 I lost in a rear end collision. I felt some occillation in the test drive and thought it was the lane assist as the steering was shaking at the SAME time. So the issue was there in the test drive, but I thought it was lane assist. Most of the test drive was either slow or fast. And this occurs in the middle only while accelerating which I was doing while passing across lanes as I pulled out from a highway Double back onto a 3 lane access road. So while accelerating I was going from the inside lane and slowly letting the car walk out to the outside lane of an empty access road. So the wheel was doing its "OMG your crossing a white line BS" and shaking and I was driving across raised lane dividers. Duh.

I just dropped the car off this morning. No loaner was provided, but they quickly courtesy car'd me to work with practically no wait and I was the only passenger. The service manager seemed good and actually notified me of a driveshaft recall although my VIN isn't in that range; however, he said all the symptoms are consistent with that issue. So we shall see..

I hope its fixable and that Lincoln steps up here cause I was going to take this car on a ski trip into the mountains From Christmas to New Years.

Thanks guys. So far. Its regrettable a new car has an issue, but Lincoln people seem nice and are doing their best.
There are two parts to the ownership experience for me: One is the actual car itself, and the other is the dealership experience.

I'd be upset and disappointed by a problem after 600 miles, but relieved to discover that my dealership showed an awareness of that, as well as offering a probable cause and a fix.

Fusilierquattro

Austin
Well. They basically said that It's in my head. Unreal. I own and maintain a rally car and know cars. Since I'm going into the mountains I requested a statement in writing that this driveshaft will not fail in the next two weeks while I'm on vacation in the mountains. Then I'll deal with it in January if it doesn't break while I'm away. Not impressed. I contacted Lincoln care and have a customer Rep looking into my case. Wish me luck.

bbf2530

Well. They basically said that It's in my head. Unreal. I own and maintain a rally car and know cars. Since I'm going into the mountains I requested a statement in writing that this driveshaft will not fail in the next two weeks while I'm on vacation in the mountains. Then I'll deal with it in January if it doesn't break while I'm away. Not impressed. I contacted Lincoln care and have a customer Rep looking into my case. Wish me luck.

Hi Fusilier. Did you do as advised and have the Service Writer or a Tech go for a ride-along with you so you could personally demonstrate the problem, before you left your vehicle?

And did you notify them that you needed a complementary loaner when you made the appointment? It is unlikely they will have one available if we just surprise them and ask when we show up to drop our vehicle off.

Good luck.

Last edited:

Corsart

Hi Fusilier. Did you do as advised and have the Service Writer or a Tech go for a ride-along with you so you could personally demonstrate the problem, before you left your vehicle?

And did you notify them that you needed a complementary loaner when you made the appointment? It is unlikely they will have one available if we just surprise them and ask when we show up to drop our vehicle off.

Good luck.
Agreed!

When I bring a car in, I'm not spending my time to simply get their opinion, but to bring an issue which requires resolution to their attention. Before I leave, I make sure they understand and experience that issue first hand.

Part of the "Luxury experience" is having the confidence in your own judgement to convey your expectations clearly and without doubt. It makes it much more difficult for them to simply dismiss your concerns.

Fusilierquattro

Austin

Good luck.
No I didn’t have time remember. This issue all transpired and completed in 2 days. I’m leaving tomorrow for 10 days in the vehicle to go to the mountains. They were out of loaners as the service wasn’t a ‘scheduled service”. thus I didn’t have time for a ride along as I had to catch their 730 courtesy ride back to work. On the follow up from Lincoln concierge, it seems they have force balanced all corners. They’re sticking with the notion the driveshaft is not cracked or out of balance. They’ve stated the vehicle is safe for the trip. So I’m going with that for now and will get a better feel on the road trip and deal with it as you Advised in January when I have time to do it in the right order. perhaps the wheels were out of balance? Seems odd to me, but we’ll see.

The local dealership dropped the car off to my downtown Austin address nice last which was nice.

On further digging I found the driveshaft issue was pretty rampant on 2020 aviators and explorers.
Thanks for you’all help