2019 Navigator - touchscreen black - no function

Welcome to the busiest full-spectrum Lincoln community online!

Please join us! We'd really love to have you as a member...

Alyssa88

I thought she said she had a Navigator.....not a Continental.

Also, I have seen several comments in posts about the warranty covering repairs. That's great from a financial perspective. The real problem is the lack of Quality Control. There are other issues that come into play, having the vehicle you bought at the dealer, not enough service service technicians and loaner vehicles at Lincoln dealers now. You have a better chance of getting a service appointment and a loan car at a Ford dealership. I quit going to the Lincoln dealer I bought my Navigator from because it took so long to get a service appointment primarily because they are short on technicians to do repairs and they are short on available loan cars. I will be upfront and admit that I made the mistake of buying a Lincoln.
So spot on! I think part of my frustration is that Lincoln kind of sells you on the experience & the service that they provide and it just has not been what I had expected and what I paid for when we purchased this car. Again the dealer we purchased from has since closed so that’s unfortunate as they were wonderful but they were a very small dealership. The other two Lincoln dealerships that are even remotely close to me are kind of a nightmare. If I wanted a loaner vehicle I couldn’t get an appointment until the week after Christmas. And another dealer told me that I could bring the car in on November 7 but that it would have to sit there for two weeks before he could look at it 🤯🤯🤯

bbf2530

So spot on! I think part of my frustration is that Lincoln kind of sells you on the experience & the service that they provide and it just has not been what I had expected and what I paid for when we purchased this car. Again the dealer we purchased from has since closed so that’s unfortunate as they were wonderful but they were a very small dealership. The other two Lincoln dealerships that are even remotely close to me are kind of a nightmare. If I wanted a loaner vehicle I couldn’t get an appointment until the week after Christmas. And another dealer told me that I could bring the car in on November 7 but that it would have to sit there for two weeks before he could look at it 🤯🤯🤯

Hi Alyssa. The individual who said you could bring your vehicle in but "...it would have to sit there for two weeks before he could look at it" should find another line of work.

Barring some circumstance we are not aware of, there is no reason he needed your car sitting there for two weeks, when he should have simply given you an appointment for the date it could be looked at/worked on, and asked you to have it in first thing when they open in the morning, or drop it off the day/afternoon before. Then if it took two days, okay. But sitting for two weeks for no reason is certainly poor customer service.

Keep us updated and good luck.

vipersinu2

Hi Alyssa. The individual who said you could bring your vehicle in but "...it would have to sit there for two weeks before he could look at it" should find another line of work.

Barring some circumstance we are not aware of, there is no reason he needed your car sitting there for two weeks, when he should have simply given you an appointment for the date it could be looked at/worked on, and asked you to have it in first thing when they open in the morning, or drop it off the day/afternoon before. Then if it took two days, okay. But sitting for two weeks for no reason is certainly poor customer service.

Keep us updated and good I bough

Hi all - hoping to get some feedback. I have a 2019 navigator L reserve trim. Approximately two weeks ago when I got in the car in the morning the touchscreen never came on. After about five minutes it kicked in. I assumed it was some sort of malfunction; Eventually kicked in and I didn’t think much of it until it happens again the next day. Now we’re going on two weeks. It’s gotten progressively worse where now it takes approximately an hour or so for the car to be on before the touchscreen eventually comes on. I tried to reboot the software system and brought it to my regular mechanic and they did what they thought would fix it but it continues. I have an appointment with a Lincoln dealer in a couple of weeks as this was the soonest appointment I could get. Just wondering if anyone else has had similar issues??
That's why I purchased a used screen off Ebay as a backup.

Attachments

• 20211115_142127.jpg
    20211115_142127.jpg
    235.5 KB · Views: 4

Alyssa88

Interestingly enough, it is just after 3 PM and I have been in and out of my car all day since about 830 this morning and the touchscreen just came on for the first time today but looks completely different. And as opposed to the Lincoln logo coming up with it first came on I got the Ford logo 🧐

2021Navigator

Interestingly enough, it is just after 3 PM and I have been in and out of my car all day since about 830 this morning and the touchscreen just came on for the first time today but looks completely different. And as opposed to the Lincoln logo coming up with it first came on I got the Ford logo 🧐
Oh my, I wonder if you got an over the air update?

I certainly can understand your frustration without having the basic controls like a radio or being able to adjust the climate controls.

I sometimes miss that dial with a 1-5 for fan speed and the horizontal sliding lever from blue to red for temp. I've driven almost a million miles on various cars with those features and can never remember one failure, they just worked, not fancy and no matter which car you got in, it was intuitive how to adjust the temp or fan.

I hope they can figure it out for you.

bbf2530

Hi gang. Just to avoid confusion: WiFi updates and "Over the air" updates are two very different things.

WiFi updates are not the same as "Over the air'" updates.

SYNC 3.0/3.3/3.4 equipped vehicles can only receive WiFi updates (or manual updates via USB), when they are connected to a strong WiFi network signal. Of course, to be connected to a WiFi network, the vehicle essentially needs to be sitting still and within the very limited range of the WiFi network router. And those updates are limited to SYNC and in some cases, NAV map updates.

SYNC 4 equipped vehicles can receive "Over the air" updates. This is an over the air data signal. Think of it as the same as receiving a phone call while driving. The vehicle does not need to be connected to a WiFi network, and technically, can even receive updates while driving down the road.
In addition, SYNC 4 equipped vehicles will not only be able to receive SYNC and NAV map updates "over the air", but also engine management and other major vehicle system updates which can/will improve vehicle power, efficiency etc. etc..

The difference between "Over the air" and "WiFi' updates may only seem like semantics, but the differences are major and it is important to differentiate between the two types.

Good luck.

Alyssa88

Well, this is kind of a non-update update. Just spoke to the mechanic at the Ford dealership and he said this is in fact related to the APIM - he thinks - he’s having issues even getting the module number from the APIM because every time they try to access it (I may be using the incorrect terms here) The system is forcing them to reboot the software and it crashes halfway through every time so essentially what he has said it without this APIM module number communicated to them they’re kind of stuck so they are in contact with Lincoln engineers in the hopes of finding some sort of work around 😫 none of which sounds good 🤯

Last edited:

Black Label

SUPPORTING MEMBER
Burr Ridge, IL
There was a TSB earlier this year, not sure if it applies to a 2019, that they would use a the,mb drive to reprogram the APIM. Have they looked at that?

And why are you at a Ford dealer?

Alyssa88

There was a TSB earlier this year, not sure if it applies to a 2019, that they would use a the,mb drive to reprogram the APIM. Have they looked at that?

And why are you at a Ford dealer?
There are only two Lincoln dealers within an hours drive of me…. The dealership that we purchased our car from closed. The two Lincoln dealers in the area could not see me until late December. 🤯

Black Label

SUPPORTING MEMBER
Burr Ridge, IL
There are only two Lincoln dealers within an hours drive of me…. The dealership that we purchased our car from closed. The two Lincoln dealers in the area could not see me until late December. 🤯
Oh yeah, sorry, you mention that previously.

You may ask them about the TSB I mentioned. I'm attaching it here.

Attachments

• TSB 21-2150.pdf
    1.4 MB · Views: 5

bbf2530

Hi Alyssa. If they are looking to replace the APIM, all they need is the part number, which they can get from the vehicle as-built information. Or simply remove the APIM and write down the part number. I am not sure what their problem is when trying to get this information.

Good luck.

Alyssa88

Hi Alyssa. If they are looking to replace the APIM, all they need is the part number, which they can get from the vehicle as-built information. Or simply remove the APIM and write down the part number. I am not sure what their problem is when trying to get this information.

Good luck.
I may not be communicating this correctly - but from what I got from mechanic today - they need a “module number” from the APIM - in order to know what part they need BUT because the system is not working - not functioning at all - they can’t get the necessary number? So they kept the car with the hopes of connecting with a Lincoln engineer to help?

bbf2530

I may not be communicating this correctly - but from what I got from mechanic today - they need a “module number” from the APIM - in order to know what part they need BUT because the system is not working - not functioning at all - they can’t get the necessary number? So they kept the car with the hopes of connecting with a Lincoln engineer to help?

Hi Alyssa. That is what I understood you were saying. And I was stating that the Dealer can obtain that information from the as-built configuration of your vehicle. From the part number on the APIM itself. Or from the VIN, as BL stated (the as-built information).

Of course they do not need a working SYNC screen to get that information. That would mean every non-working SYNC screen would not be able to be fixed, because a Dealer would not be able to get the information for the part they need? Please try another Dealership.

Let us know how you make out and good luck.

Alyssa88

Yes, I would make and keep the future Lincoln dealer appointment.
So another non-update update. In talking with the mechanic they are looking for a condition code from the APIM. He said they have tried multiple times to change out the computer in the car and each time when it reboots the software it gets to 75% and then crashes so without it fully loading and connecting with the car they can’t get a condition code? I have an appointment with a Lincoln dealer on Tuesday but I don’t know that they are going to find anything different? and again, I may just be misunderstanding what he is saying but this was my take away from our conversation today. He again said they are trying to communicate with a Lincoln engineer to see what they can do. 😫

vipersinu2

So another non-update update. In talking with the mechanic they are looking for a condition code from the APIM. He said they have tried multiple times to change out the computer in the car and each time when it reboots the software it gets to 75% and then crashes so without it fully loading and connecting with the car they can’t get a condition code? I have an appointment with a Lincoln dealer on Tuesday but I don’t know that they are going to find anything different? and again, I may just be misunderstanding what he is saying but this was my take away from our conversation today. He again said they are trying to communicate with a Lincoln engineer to see what they can do. 😫
I found something today that might help you out. Maybe you have a loose ground nut.