2019 Navigator - touchscreen black - no function

Welcome to the busiest full-spectrum Lincoln community online!

Please join us! We'd really love to have you as a member...

Alyssa88

Hi all - hoping to get some feedback. I have a 2019 navigator L reserve trim. Approximately two weeks ago when I got in the car in the morning the touchscreen never came on. After about five minutes it kicked in. I assumed it was some sort of malfunction; Eventually kicked in and I didn’t think much of it until it happens again the next day. Now we’re going on two weeks. It’s gotten progressively worse where now it takes approximately an hour or so for the car to be on before the touchscreen eventually comes on. I tried to reboot the software system and brought it to my regular mechanic and they did what they thought would fix it but it continues. I have an appointment with a Lincoln dealer in a couple of weeks as this was the soonest appointment I could get. Just wondering if anyone else has had similar issues??

bbf2530

Hi all - hoping to get some feedback. I have a 2019 navigator L reserve trim. Approximately two weeks ago when I got in the car in the morning the touchscreen never came on. After about five minutes it kicked in. I assumed it was some sort of malfunction; Eventually kicked in and I didn’t think much of it until it happens again the next day. Now we’re going on two weeks. It’s gotten progressively worse where now it takes approximately an hour or so for the car to be on before the touchscreen eventually comes on. I tried to reboot the software system and brought it to my regular mechanic and they did what they thought would fix it but it continues. I have an appointment with a Lincoln dealer in a couple of weeks as this was the soonest appointment I could get. Just wondering if anyone else has had similar issues??

Hi Alyssa. Didn't want to see you left hanging with no replies. And welcome to the Lincoln Forums. ;)

It could be a failing/failed APIM or any of a host of other electronic/electrical problems. Your issue is not common, but things do happen.

Is it safe to assume your 2019 Navigator is still within the 4 year/50,000 mile New Vehicle Warranty? If yes, it is good that you set up a service appointment to have the SYNC issue properly diagnosed and repaired.

Although you stated you tried to "reboot the software system, I would not even advise a SYNC Master Reset. Even if it worked, it would likely only be putting a temporary band-aid on an underlying issue. One that may only last long enough for the warranty to run out, and the costs to come out of your pocket.

Let us know how you make out and good luck.

Black Label

SUPPORTING MEMBER
Burr Ridge, IL
Hi Alyssa. Didn't want to see you left hanging with no replies. And welcome to the Lincoln Forums. ;)

It could be a failing/failed APIM or any of a host of other electronic/electrical problems. Your issue is not common, but things do happen.

Is it safe to assume your 2019 Navigator is still within the 4 year/50,000 mile New Vehicle Warranty? If yes, it is good that you set up a service appointment to have the SYNC issue properly diagnosed and repaired.

Although you stated you tried to "reboot the software system, I would not even advise a SYNC Master Reset. Even if it worked, it would likely only be putting a temporary band-aid on an underlying issue. One that may only last long enough for the warranty to run out, and the costs to come out of your pocket.

Well, she did say she has a service appointment in a couple weeks. I'll be curious if she comes back here as she joined, wrote this thread, and hasn't been seen since. Hopefully she does, but I wonder how she would see any replies when not being back on the forum literally after posting the thread.

Alyssa88

Well, she did say she has a service appointment in a couple weeks. I'll be curious if she comes back here as she joined, wrote this thread, and hasn't been seen since. Hopefully she does, but I wonder how she would see any replies when not being back on the forum literally after posting the thread.
I literally posted this last night 🧐

Alyssa88

Thanks for the reply. I have an appointment tomorrow at a Ford dealership. The soonest I could get in with a Lincoln dealer was in mid December. Part of my frustration is the lack of Lincoln dealers in our area. The dealer we initially bought our car from closed prior to the pandemic. I am unfortunately outside of the 50,000 miles. We have 85,000 miles on our car.

Alyssa88

My fear is that it’s going to be something more involved in complex. As I said when this started happening a couple of weeks ago the touchscreen would eventually come on, but now it’s taking an hour or so of the car running before it comes on and every time I turn the car off it goes completely black again. I am praying that it’s not some complicated fix but the more I Google (and perhaps I should just walk away from my computer 😝) The more I’m reading about issues with software with these cars and people having their cars at dealerships for weeks on end trying to address it. 😫

Black Label

SUPPORTING MEMBER
Burr Ridge, IL
Not sure how the infotainment screen is connected, but maybe it is just a loose connection. Maybe it's a bad APIM, like bbf said. Either way, hope it gets resolved.

Alyssa88

I should add, the modem had to be replaced in my car approximately a year ago. So at around 50,000 miles or just under because it was still under warranty, they had to replace the modem because we were having issues with the infotainment/Bluetooth etc.

bbf2530

Hi BL. You are having an off morning at being today's hall monitor. I acknowledged she had set up an appointment when I stated, "Is it safe to assume your 2019 Navigator is still within the 4 year/50,000 mile New Vehicle Warranty? If yes, it is good that you set up a service appointment to have the SYNC issue properly diagnosed and repaired." ;)

Good luck my freind.

Black Label

SUPPORTING MEMBER
Burr Ridge, IL
Hi BL. You are having an off morning at being today's hall monitor. I acknowledged she had set up an appointment when I stated, "Is it safe to assume your 2019 Navigator is still within the 4 year/50,000 mile New Vehicle Warranty? If yes, it is good that you set up a service appointment to have the SYNC issue properly diagnosed and repaired." ;)

Good luck my freind.
Hey give me a break, I am low on coffee this morning.

:p

bbf2530

I should add, the modem had to be replaced in my car approximately a year ago. So at around 50,000 miles or just under because it was still under warranty, they had to replace the modem because we were having issues with the infotainment/Bluetooth etc.

Hi Alyssa. Since your Continental is out of warranty, hopefully the issue relates to the prior warranty work and the Lincoln Dealer will grandfather this repair in. You may want to ask them ahead of time what their policy will be.

If you want to try some self-help, you can try the SYNC Master Reset. Perhaps that will help, unless that is what you already did when you "rebooted the software system. Instructions on how to perform a SYNC Master Reset in your particular vehicle are in your Owners Manual.

Another self-help option would be to remove the SYNC screen and check all connections, on the off chance it is a loose connection (as Black Label mentioned).

It is not really that difficult, if you have the right trim removal tools and are not afraid to take things apart. Just don't do it in cold weather, when the plastic trim is stiffer and more likely to crack/break.

Keep us updated and good luck.

Black Label

SUPPORTING MEMBER
Burr Ridge, IL
Hi Alyssa. Since your Continental is out of warranty, hopefully the issue relates to the prior warranty work and the Lincoln Dealer will grandfather this repair in. You may want to ask them ahead of time what their policy will be.

If you want to try some self-help, you can try the SYNC Master Reset. Perhaps that will help, unless that is what you already did when you "rebooted the software system. Instructions on how to perform a SYNC Master Reset in your particular vehicle are in your Owners Manual.

Another self-help option would be to remove the SYNC screen and check all connections, on the off chance it is a loose connection (as Black Label mentioned).

It is not really that difficult, if you have the right trim removal tools and are not afraid to take things apart. Just don't do it in cold weather, when the plastic trim is stiffer and more likely to crack/break.

Point of Parliamentary Procedure here: I already mentioned that. :cool:

Haha, just messing with ya buddy. All good suggestions, as usual.

Alyssa88

Thank you! Our regular mechanic tried that last week. Took the whole screen apart checked and said all of the connections seemed fine. And the screen did come back on that day, however as I have said it then was out again the next day and every day since then. And it seems to be getting progressively worse in that the first few times it happened the screen would eventually come on and then it was good for the day, but now it seems like every time I get out of the car and restart the car I’m back to square one with no screen. And I don’t want to sound like a brat, but it’s definitely a big issue because without that touchscreen, I have no radio, my charging port isn’t working, I can’t adjust my heat, I have no back up camera etc. so as you can imagine it’s just been a frustrating couple of weeks having to drive like that. Definitely a first world problem, but I’m hoping we can get it resolved with the dealer. So I’m not really sure what to think this point. Hopefully the dealer will have some answers for us!

Black Label

SUPPORTING MEMBER
Burr Ridge, IL
Thank you! Our regular mechanic tried that last week. Took the whole screen apart checked and said all of the connections seemed fine. And the screen did come back on that day, however as I have said it then was out again the next day and every day since then. And it seems to be getting progressively worse in that the first few times it happened the screen would eventually come on and then it was good for the day, but now it seems like every time I get out of the car and restart the car I’m back to square one with no screen. And I don’t want to sound like a brat, but it’s definitely a big issue because without that touchscreen, I have no radio, my charging port isn’t working, I can’t adjust my heat, I have no back up camera etc. so as you can imagine it’s just been a frustrating couple of weeks having to drive like that. Definitely a first world problem, but I’m hoping we can get it resolved with the dealer. So I’m not really sure what to think this point. Hopefully the dealer will have some answers for us!
Not a brat at all. Mine always comes on, but I can't stand that it takes a minute or so for it to actually respond to commands when listening to Satellite radio. Very laggy.

bbf2530

Hi Alyssa. You don't sound like a brat. Things should work.

Z737

Dallas, TX

I thought she said she had a Navigator.....not a Continental.

Also, I have seen several comments in posts about the warranty covering repairs. That's great from a financial perspective. The real problem is the lack of Quality Control. There are other issues that come into play, having the vehicle you bought at the dealer, not enough service service technicians and loaner vehicles at Lincoln dealers now. You have a better chance of getting a service appointment and a loan car at a Ford dealership. I quit going to the Lincoln dealer I bought my Navigator from because it took so long to get a service appointment primarily because they are short on technicians to do repairs and they are short on available loan cars. I will be upfront and admit that I made the mistake of buying a Lincoln.

Black Label

SUPPORTING MEMBER
Burr Ridge, IL

Also, I have seen several comments in posts about the warranty covering repairs. That's great from a financial perspective. The real problem is the lack of Quality Control. There are other issues that come into play, having the vehicle you bought at the dealer, not enough service service technicians and loaner vehicles at Lincoln dealers now. You have a better chance of getting a service appointment and a loan car at a Ford dealership. I quit going to the Lincoln dealer I bought my Navigator from because it took so long to get a service appointment primarily because they are short on technicians to do repairs and they are short on available loan cars. I will be upfront and admit that I made the mistake of buying a Lincoln.
Good points but probably true with most dealers across all makes right now.

bbf2530

Hi Z7. Yes...Oooops...Brain Cloud. I stated Navigator in earlier posts, then made a mistake and typed Continental in that one. I try to answer a lot of questions, and the Navigator/Continental thing slipped by. Thanks for pointing it out.

As far as quality control, how happy people are or are not with their purchases, etc...I am trying to answer the question and help with their immediate problems, so I don't get into those discussions.

Concerning loaner vehicles from Ford Dealers for Lincoln owners: Consider yourself lucky if you have a Ford Dealer who will give you a loaner vehicle for your Lincoln (unless it is a Lincoln/Ford Dealer). Ford Dealers do not get reimbursed by Lincoln/Ford for loaner vehicles. Lincoln Dealers do.
So most Ford Dealers will not give loaner vehicles to Lincoln customers. Especially since the vehicle was purchased elsewhere, so they are usually not willing to eat the costs.

Since that is the case, a Lincoln owner should always check with a Dealership before making an appointment.

Good luck.