• Hint: Use a descriptive title for your new message
    If you're looking for help and want to draw people in who can assist you, use a descriptive subject title when posting your message. In other words, "1998 Town Car" isn't going to indicate to anybody that you need help. However, "Need help with my 1998 Town Car" will. Be as descriptive as you can. Please use common sense... This message can be closed by clicking the X in the top right corner.

2018 Navigator - Reserve trim - Aftermarket rear seat entertainment suggestions?

hellraiser

hello, I recently purchased a 2018 Navigator - Reserve trim. It did not come with the rear seat entertainment monitors. I have contacted Lincoln parts department to buy the oem units but they do not show up in any of the parts manuals. after some research, parts dude told me they are only available through lincoln.componetsales.com;. a totally different entity and they told the parts guy that any of these parts are only available for factory install ONLY. I can not even purchase components as replacement parts.

This makes no sense to me, but now i am looking for options for aftermarket screens that will fit on the back of the front seats.

Has anyone fitted any aftermarket monitors to the seats that do not have movable headrests????

Thanks for any info you may be able to offer ....

Ico

I will say, as an owner of a Navigator with the rear seat screens, they're awful as far as ergonomics and usability go. It's super annoying that both screens don't have SD card slots and phone streaming is reduced to Samsung phones.

That said, I would think tablet holders would be the way to go. It won't be a sexy solution because of power chords and whatnot, but the usability will be good.

hellraiser

Thank you for your feedback. It is very helpful. During my research I have read other confirming reports as yours that the factory rear seat entertainment units suck. So far the best solution I have been able to run across is using a DVD capable touchscreen mounted on the rear part of the front consol above the controls. both rear seats then share said Consol Screen. The second display to be used in third row seat for shared entertainment See attached file.

I have also found a possible touch screen display solution from Audiovox that has features far beyond the factory solution. For anyone interested I have also included a screenshot attachment. So, this is my best solution I’ve seen so far. Any feedback is always appreciated

Attachments

thisstrangeengine

Buy your kids a couple of iPads from the Apple Refurb Store and put the other $1500 away for their college funds.

- Mark

richbatl

Before we purchased our Navigator, I nearly opted out of the Rear Entertainment system because of all the negative reviews. I'm so glad we didn't....Once I sat down and really dug into the system, I have grown to love it. it's FANTASTIC and here's why... First, in response to only one monitor having the SD slot, that's all you need. The 2nd monitor can access the SD card as well AND play a completely different movie. Screen A and Screen B are interfaced together so that Screen B can access everything on Screen A simultaneously or independently. I have about 30 movies loaded onto our SD card (loaded in Screen A) and sometimes the kids watch the same movies and sometimes they watch different movies at the same time. If the other child decides to join the movie being watched on screen A, he can easily switch and now both screens are playing the same movie at the same time in unison. He can even watch the same movie but start it from the beginning so same movies on both screens but not playing in sync. It really is that intuitive.

In addition to all those movies on the SD card, I purchased a Roku stick and that is inserted into the HDMI port of Screen A. It is powered by the USB cord, which also is plugged in to Screen A. And FYI, the USB power for the Roku stick from Screen A is more than enough. The kids have used it on a 7+ hour trip before. Screen B can also access Screen A's HDMI port simultaneously or independently. So if Screen A is displaying a SD card movie, Screen B can access the Roku stick. And with the Roku stick, there's Netflix, Google Play movies, Vudu, Amazon Prime videos and much, much more. You of course need subscriptions to Netflix and Amazon prime and some others but I would imagine most have both or at least one. You don't have to pay additional to access these if you already have a subscription. Just simply sign on just as if it was another TV in the house. That's an additional thousand or more titles to select from. I set the kid restrictions on all of them so they only have access to kid's content.

The best thing, it's a clean interface. We don't have tons of DVD movies cluttering up the vehicle anymore and on those nice big screens, the backseat passengers love it. So with the SD card and a Roku stick alone, you literally have thousands of shows/movies to select from. And if you have a Slingbox at home, there's a built in Slingbox app integrated into the system, so now add in all your live TV and DVR access on top of the other thousand selection of titles!

FYI, for the Roku stick, a Mobile hotspot or the vehicle hot spot is required to access content on the Roku stick apps. We are fortunate to have unlimited data hotspots through work, so this is what is used to provide WiFi to the Roku stick.

Now the only hurdle we ran into was our older 3rd child who sits in the 3rd row. Since there is not a screen for him, he uses his tablet which has all the same Roku apps. So he can access Netflix, Amazon prime, Vudu etc on his tablet. There was another post where someone asked which tablet mount was good for the 2018 and up Navigator. I made a reply post with some info on what I used. You should note that the distance between the the two post in the headrest, is not that wide. You'll be hard pressed to find a tablet holder that can fit in that space. I had to find a holder that latched on to one post. And I searched relentlessly looking for the one that spring loaded into the two post. If anyone that found one that does fit the newest Navigator model, please post here.

I know this has been a long post but I'm hoping this helps some folks that are on the fence about the Lincoln OEM rear entertainment system. I think most of the negative reviews was mostly due to the fact that so many people couldn't figure out how to use the system. Even the Lincoln sales rep don't have a full understanding. But once you do figure it out, the options of all the content that's available, is incredible. Every in vehicle entertainment system I've had before, was always limited to the number of DVD we had in the car. Now, our choices are endless!

Rich

hellraiser

OP here, Thanks for the great information you folks are providing And special kudos for the detailed description of the factory OEM unit. It is unfortunate that I can’t take advantage of any of that detailed information due to the fact the factory OEM cannot be retrofitted to a vehicle that was purchased without it

So, that being said looking forward to hearing from others who have managed to retrofit any rear seat entertainment options successfully. Thanks again to everyone who is paying attention

richbatl

Hi OP,
That's a bummer to learn it can't be retrofitted but good info for those that may be reading this thread. I looked for a nice aftermarket system for the 3rd row before we settled on going the tablet route. There were a few I found on Amazon and I spoke to the place that installed my dash cams. They had experience in doing a hardwire install on some of those aftermarket systems and recommended not to buy them because they heard numerous complaints from those they installed them for. Basically quality and reliability issues. I called a second similar type place and heard the same thing.

There are some high end ones but priced out around $1500, so I wound up upgrading a tablet and getting a nice bluetooth headset to match. For our third row, that was enough.

I would check your local area for places that specialize in car audio. They'll have real hands on experience on good sytems.

Good luck! 😀

Ico

Before we purchased our Navigator, I nearly opted out of the Rear Entertainment system because of all the negative reviews. I'm so glad we didn't....Once I sat down and really dug into the system, I have grown to love it. it's FANTASTIC and here's why... First, in response to only one monitor having the SD slot, that's all you need. The 2nd monitor can access the SD card as well AND play a completely different movie. Screen A and Screen B are interfaced together so that Screen B can access everything on Screen A simultaneously or independently. I have about 30 movies loaded onto our SD card (loaded in Screen A) and sometimes the kids watch the same movies and sometimes they watch different movies at the same time. If the other child decides to join the movie being watched on screen A, he can easily switch and now both screens are playing the same movie at the same time in unison. He can even watch the same movie but start it from the beginning so same movies on both screens but not playing in sync. It really is that intuitive.

In addition to all those movies on the SD card, I purchased a Roku stick and that is inserted into the HDMI port of Screen A. It is powered by the USB cord, which also is plugged in to Screen A. And FYI, the USB power for the Roku stick from Screen A is more than enough. The kids have used it on a 7+ hour trip before. Screen B can also access Screen A's HDMI port simultaneously or independently. So if Screen A is displaying a SD card movie, Screen B can access the Roku stick. And with the Roku stick, there's Netflix, Google Play movies, Vudu, Amazon Prime videos and much, much more. You of course need subscriptions to Netflix and Amazon prime and some others but I would imagine most have both or at least one. You don't have to pay additional to access these if you already have a subscription. Just simply sign on just as if it was another TV in the house. That's an additional thousand or more titles to select from. I set the kid restrictions on all of them so they only have access to kid's content.

The best thing, it's a clean interface. We don't have tons of DVD movies cluttering up the vehicle anymore and on those nice big screens, the backseat passengers love it. So with the SD card and a Roku stick alone, you literally have thousands of shows/movies to select from. And if you have a Slingbox at home, there's a built in Slingbox app integrated into the system, so now add in all your live TV and DVR access on top of the other thousand selection of titles!

FYI, for the Roku stick, a Mobile hotspot or the vehicle hot spot is required to access content on the Roku stick apps. We are fortunate to have unlimited data hotspots through work, so this is what is used to provide WiFi to the Roku stick.

Now the only hurdle we ran into was our older 3rd child who sits in the 3rd row. Since there is not a screen for him, he uses his tablet which has all the same Roku apps. So he can access Netflix, Amazon prime, Vudu etc on his tablet. There was another post where someone asked which tablet mount was good for the 2018 and up Navigator. I made a reply post with some info on what I used. You should note that the distance between the the two post in the headrest, is not that wide. You'll be hard pressed to find a tablet holder that can fit in that space. I had to find a holder that latched on to one post. And I searched relentlessly looking for the one that spring loaded into the two post. If anyone that found one that does fit the newest Navigator model, please post here.

I know this has been a long post but I'm hoping this helps some folks that are on the fence about the Lincoln OEM rear entertainment system. I think most of the negative reviews was mostly due to the fact that so many people couldn't figure out how to use the system. Even the Lincoln sales rep don't have a full understanding. But once you do figure it out, the options of all the content that's available, is incredible. Every in vehicle entertainment system I've had before, was always limited to the number of DVD we had in the car. Now, our choices are endless!

Rich
What bitrate are your movies in? I get stuttering on the screens when both are playing from the same SD card, and Im using the fastest SanDisk cards available.

ResidualJinx

Do you have any info on the console mounted DVD touchscreen? On a side note, the Voxx manufacture (second screen you posted) also makes the OEM system. Voxx actually has a custom hardware to mount their screens to our Navigator seats. Best part about those screens is the built in FM modulator, dvd playback, app support(Netflix) and phone control which solves all of the issues with the OEM system.

hellraiser

Do you have any info on the console mounted DVD touchscreen? On a side note, the Voxx manufacture (second screen you posted) also makes the OEM system. Voxx actually has a custom hardware to mount their screens to our Navigator seats. Best part about those screens is the built in FM modulator, dvd playback, app support(Netflix) and phone control which solves all of the issues with the OEM system.
The first photo was posted as a possible mounting option, not a screen that was specifically designed to fit there. Almost all rear screen entertainment aftermarket have the ability to be mounted in that position. The person who created that solution Detail using the metal brackets underneath the armrests with some tape to prevent Maring of the surface.

If you have a link I can follow to the VOXX navigator seat mounting brackets that work on these seats please post as that would be the ideal perfect solution

Thank you

HTML