• In the 1980s and 1990s we used AOL and Usenet. In the 2000s there were forums and message boards. In the 2010s - and until the very near future - social media. Something new is coming for Lincoln owners... Become an early adopter of what's next by SIGNING UP HERE. Your email address will not be sold or used in any way other than us communicating more details as we prepare for launch - and we will not communicate often.

2018 Navigator 6mpg when towing 8k lb camper

Welcome to the busiest full-spectrum Lincoln community online!

Please join us! We'd really love to have you as a member...

FMF_Doc_B

May 18, 2019
Hello,
First time towing with 18 Navigator L 4x4 with 25k miles. We have a 34' camper that's 8k lb packed (7k on trailer axles, 1k on navi) using a weight distribution hitch. Got it dialed in to where the front is 1/4" higher with camper hooked up vs normal height. Drove from Illinois to Florida and back and averaged 5.8mpg (5.4 in mountains, 6.5 best mpg in flat states). Drove in normal drive mode with auto tow/hual mode, no cruise control, using paddle shift to keep best gear. Drove mostly in 9th gear, 7th or 8th up steepest hills. Drove around 75 mph. Anyone else pull heavy and see this bad mpg? We average 17 mpg around the Chicago suburbs. Wifes 15 Yukon XL towed this trailer on same trip at 9+mpg. Spent $1,300 on fuel this trip!

rucus0101

Jan 22, 2019
Did you do a cat scale with the trailer attached? You are probably out of payload on the truck or overloading the rear axle. My navi only has 1437 pounds of payload, 1000 pound trailer, 100 pound WDH, and people in vehicle seems tight unless you guys are real light weights. You navigator is probably around 6200 pounds and you have 8k behind it and people and stuff in it. That's almost 15k rolling down the road like a brick so that mileage is not unexpected. Downsized turbo motors are great for saving gas when you are lightly loaded but once you load them up to continuous workload they are less efficient. The best option if you have to tow that heavy often is a superduty with a diesel. It will probably get around 10-11 with that trailer.

FMF_Doc_B

May 18, 2019
The best option if you have to tow that heavy often is a superduty with a diesel. It will probably get around 10-11 with that trailer.

I actually have a diesel 2017 Super Duty, but it doesn't fit our big family. Wish I could use it. I get around 11mpg when I do tow with it.

Used Cat Scales, 7k lbs SUV loaded for trip with full tank gas and kids in car, 15k with trailer, hitch, 1/2 tank fresh water in camper.

Will try to do 65mph next time I tow with Navi and see how that affects mpg. Thanks for all the responses everyone!

robo21

May 24, 2018
With that much weight and that much wind resistance increase I am not surprised. I would try keeping speeds at 55 as the wind resistance drag goes up logarithmically as you increase speed. Plus driving at speeds over 55 MPH towing that kind of weight is extremely dangerous. A blowout or road hazard at those speeds would get ugly very quickly.

Adam33

May 2, 2021
Hi,
Did you check the transmission temperature when you tow the camper trailer?
Was it over 225?

Ballyhoo

Dec 1, 2018
Robo21 nailed it. Increased speed + increased resistance, end result more fuel to move one pound one foot ( the physics behind horsepower, energy required to move an object).

scottegibbs

Jun 17, 2021
Salt Springs, FL
I know that with my F250 diesel, 64 mph is the sweet spot for best mileage hauling heavy loads!

G-523754

I have a 2021 Lincoln navigator that we just towed with for the first time. With a 12 foot enclosed trailer with a golf card in it. It is a 7 foot tall trailer. Before we left for the vacation we were getting 11 miles per gallon in the city. On the trip we only got 7 miles per gallon towing. We were doing approximately 75 miles an hour from Michigan to Florida. We thought there was something wrong with the vehicle. What are your thoughts

2021Navigator

Dec 15, 2020
I have a 2021 Lincoln navigator that we just towed with for the first time. With a 12 foot enclosed trailer with a golf card in it. It is a 7 foot tall trailer. Before we left for the vacation we were getting 11 miles per gallon in the city. On the trip we only got 7 miles per gallon towing. We were doing approximately 75 miles an hour from Michigan to Florida. We thought there was something wrong with the vehicle. What are your thoughts
Your numbers do not surprise me. Like others have mentioned speed will always degrade your mpg. Also twin turbo V6's generally suffer poorer mpg when towing heavy loads compared to a V8.

GHopper

Jan 1, 2022
I have towed significantly with my ‘16 F150 Ecoboost; significant gains (50-75%) in MPG when holding speeds in the low 60’s vs. 75; Towing with my ‘21 Navigator is a similar situation; just have to decide if those few minutes are worth the extra fuel costs.

Skol22

Nov 15, 2021
I have the same motor the Navigator has in my 19 Raptor. I get 11-12 MPG when towing my boat (4600#).

ericinseattle

Jan 6, 2022
Hello,
First time towing with 18 Navigator L 4x4 with 25k miles. We have a 34' camper that's 8k lb packed (7k on trailer axles, 1k on navi) using a weight distribution hitch. Got it dialed in to where the front is 1/4" higher with camper hooked up vs normal height. Drove from Illinois to Florida and back and averaged 5.8mpg (5.4 in mountains, 6.5 best mpg in flat states). Drove in normal drive mode with auto tow/hual mode, no cruise control, using paddle shift to keep best gear. Drove mostly in 9th gear, 7th or 8th up steepest hills. Drove around 75 mph. Anyone else pull heavy and see this bad mpg? We average 17 mpg around the Chicago suburbs. Wifes 15 Yukon XL towed this trailer on same trip at 9+mpg. Spent $1,300 on fuel this trip!
Just did Seattle to Phoenix and back 3.2k and got 8.02 MPG with a short navigator and about 7500 weight. Book says 70MPH tops in the book. We did lots of mountain ranges and passes. Guessing difference is the longer vehicle and 5 MPH more.