2017 Trunk Closing issues

danielco

Recently (and after a cleaning and detailing), my trunk won't close with the button or the remote. I have to manually and gently push the lid closed. It attempts to close sometimes but then bounces back up. Sometimes it just flinches in place and doesn't move more than an inch. Any help or suggestions welcome? Is there a reset or some-such?

MarkX

Recently (and after a cleaning and detailing), my trunk won't close with the button or the remote. I have to manually and gently push the lid closed. It attempts to close sometimes but then bounces back up. Sometimes it just flinches in place and doesn't move more than an inch. Any help or suggestions welcome? Is there a reset or some-such?
I would “reset” on your detailer.

bbf2530

Hi daniel. Is your 2017 Continental still within the 4 year/50,000 mile New Car Bumper to Bumper Warranty? If yes, make an appointment for service so the Dealer can properly diagnose and repair the problem.

If not, I believe there is a reset procedure for situations where the trunk has been manually closed (there is for my 2018 MKZ). It would be listed in your Owners Manual. Check in the "Doors and Locks" section.

Let us know how you make out and good luck.

Todor

My wife manually closes it all the time (VW die hard fan and they don't get much comfort features LoL), no problems of any sort, opens and closes with all buttons, remote, kick jesture, etc.
I would bet it will resume normal operation after it dries properly.
I noticed such an aborted attempt at closing with the remote in my pocket, pushing the button and stepping back away from the car once.
-> Might just be a key fob battery needing replacement.

jhartz

Virginia Beach, VA
Try disconnecting the positive battery cable (it is the one underneath the red plastic). Touch the cable to ground. This empties all capacitors. Works on Jags and Land Rovers, worked with a window on the Continental that was confused. Reconnect the cable and tighten it.

bbf2530

Hi danielco. Just to reiterate: There is a specific power trunk reset procedure, for your Continental, listed in the Owners Manual. Check the Index under "Doors and Locks" for the correct page in your copy, then follow it.

Out of curiosity, did you detail your car or did someone else. Do you remember if you manually pushed the trunk closed? Or if you hired a detailer, perhaps they manually closed the trunk? The Owners Manual also explains how this can cause issues with the automatic open/close mechanisms.

Also, if your Continental is still within the 4 year/50,000 mile New Car Warranty and the reset procedure doesn't help, you can make an appointment for service.

Let us know how you make out and good luck.

Last edited:

danielco

Thanks for the suggestions and input (even you MarkX:)). Tried the RTFM / disconnect/reconnect battery to no avail :(.The car was professionally detailed so thinking they may have forced it closed or something during the process. I'll await some other suggestions but I expect the dealership awaits...

Last edited:

bbf2530

Thanks for the suggestions and input (even you MarkX:)). Tried the RTFM / disconnect/reconnect battery to no avail :(.The car was professionally detailed so thinking they may have forced it closed or something during the process. I'll await some other suggestions but I expect the dealership awaits...
Hi daniel. If the Lincoln reset procedure did not work, my recommendation would be to make a service appointment as soon as possible. Especially if your New Car Warranty is close to expiring.

The reason? All of our other "solutions" are likely to be bandaids that will only temporarily fix a deeper issue. So it is better to have it correctly diagnosed and repaired by the Dealership now.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do.