• Hint: Use a descriptive title for your new message
    If you're looking for help and want to draw people in who can assist you, use a descriptive subject title when posting your message. In other words, "1998 Town Car" isn't going to indicate to anybody that you need help. However, "Need help with my 1998 Town Car" will. Be as descriptive as you can. Please use common sense... This message can be closed by clicking the X in the top right corner.

2017 MKZ Fuel Door Latch

nov1969z

My fuel door latch quit working. With the door not shutting the check engine came on. Anybody know a quick fix or is this a dealer repair?

bbf2530

Hi
My fuel door latch quit working. With the door not shutting the check engine came on. Anybody know a quick fix or is this a dealer repair?
Hi nov1969z. If you are referring to the filler flap of the capless fueling system, there are instructions in the Owners Manual. Take the plastic refeuling funnel which came with your car. Fully insert and fully remove it from the filler neck about 10 times or so, to see if you can clear any obstructions. It may take several drive cycles to see if it worked. If it does not, then a service appointement will probably be necessary.

Let us know how you make out and good luck.

bbf2530

It is the latch for keeping the door closed. Here is a picture with arrows pointing to the malfunctioning parts.
Hi nov1969z. I''m sure someone will correct me if I am mistaken...However, I do not believe the fuel filler cover latch being inoperative will cause a "Check Engine" light.

If the fuel filler neck flap is blocked or not working correctly, you can get a "Check Engine" light. Then you would use the refill spout procedure I mentioned in my first reply to try adn clear any obstructions. You may want to try that, to eliminate the "Check Engine" light..

Keep us updated and good luck.

HTML