• Hint: Use a descriptive title for your new message
    If you're looking for help and want to draw people in who can assist you, use a descriptive subject title when posting your message. In other words, "1998 Town Car" isn't going to indicate to anybody that you need help. However, "Need help with my 1998 Town Car" will. Be as descriptive as you can. Please use common sense... This message can be closed by clicking the X in the top right corner.

2017 MKZ Check headlight system message

jgmkz

Hello guys,

I took delivery of my 2017 MKZ reserve in June, around 7k miles already since I have to travel often due to work; great car so far. The only inconvenience is a warning message on the dashboard: "Check headlight system, see manual" it comes on at random 2-3/week, morning, afternoon, night and it happens after the car has been sitting for a few hours and as soon as I turn on the engine it comes on. Another issue is the rear dome light flickers, the front one seems to be fine only the rear one and it bothers me.

Right now the dealership asked me to leave it with them to see if they can get the same warning message, because they hooked the computer and no codes are showing up in the scanner. Have you guys had any issues so far with your 2017 MKZ?

Thanks for your time.

jhilty

2016 Lincoln MKX Reserve. My car has been at the dealership for THREE WEEKS due to the same warning light issue. My left headlight was filling up with condensation and my right headlight was "loose" and wobbled all over the place when driving. The headlamps still worked despite the condensation, wobble and warning light, however for a car with only 20k on the odometer, I would like the issue resolved. they replaced both headlamps and when they started the car, the warning light once again appeared. They are now tracking down "an electrical issue" which I am being told is the problem at hand. I hope they get it resolved within the next day or two...I leave for vacation next week and I need my vehicle to be ready for a 630 mile drive to North Carolina!

Henchtwofour

Hello guys,

I took delivery of my 2017 MKZ reserve in June, around 7k miles already since I have to travel often due to work; great car so far. The only inconvenience is a warning message on the dashboard: "Check headlight system, see manual" it comes on at random 2-3/week, morning, afternoon, night and it happens after the car has been sitting for a few hours and as soon as I turn on the engine it comes on. Another issue is the rear dome light flickers, the front one seems to be fine only the rear one and it bothers me.

Right now the dealership asked me to leave it with them to see if they can get the same warning message, because they hooked the computer and no codes are showing up in the scanner. Have you guys had any issues so far with your 2017 MKZ?

Thanks for your time.
I just took delivery of a 2017 MKZ Select that is doing the exact same thing. Did you get anything resolved?

jhvalente

Michigan
Ordered my 2017 Reserve 3.0 AWD in 2016. Have driven it for 3 years, 30,000 miles, not a single issue other than windshield trim popped up once. Funny though, I saw a 17 yesterday and the led light under the headlight kept flashing on and off... does the Select have steering controlled headlights? I know the reserve does, wonder if it is a different system...

NYer2017

Hello guys,

Thanks for your time.
Yes I too have a 2017 MKZ hybrid and I now have a “Check Headlamp system”. It further says check the Lincoln Manuel. But there is nothing in the manual relating to this message. Further I went to the dealer I purchased my car from and NO one could tell anything about the message. I then called Ford Lincoln headquarters and they too had NO knowledge. Oh the dealer wanted to charge me $156 dollars just to do a diagnostic. I’m quickly sorrowing on Lincoln/Ford.

bbf2530

Yes I too have a 2017 MKZ hybrid and I now have a “Check Headlamp system”. It further says check the Lincoln Manuel. But there is nothing in the manual relating to this message. Further I went to the dealer I purchased my car from and NO one could tell anything about the message. I then called Ford Lincoln headquarters and they too had NO knowledge. Oh the dealer wanted to charge me $156 dollars just to do a diagnostic. I’m quickly sorrowing on Lincoln/Ford.
Hi NYer. Is your MKZ still within the 4 year/50,000 mile Bumper to Bumper Warranty? It is certainly within the 4 year time limit. If you have less than 50,000 miles, there would be no charge to diagnose and fix the issue.

Let us know how you make out and good luck.

NYer2017

Hi NYer. Is your MKZ still within the 4 year/50,000 mile Bumper to Bumper Warranty? It is certainly within the 4 year time limit. If you have less than 50,000 miles, there would be no charge to diagnose and fix the issue.

NYer2017

Unfortunately I have 60k miles. But tomorrow I have an appointment to have the car looked at. I do have a Extended warranty, so it will take some of the pain of paying for the diagnostic charge and will pay for part of the cost of fixing the issue. I would hope Lincoln would chip in too, since this problem appears to be one of their making

bbf2530

Unfortunately I have 60k miles. But tomorrow I have an appointment to have the car looked at. I do have a Extended warranty, so it will take some of the pain of paying for the diagnostic charge and will pay for part of the cost of fixing the issue. I would hope Lincoln would chip in too, since this problem appears to be one of their making
Hi NYer. Assuming your particular Lincoln Protect/ESP Plan covers the headlight system, all you will pay is your deductible, if any.

Lantanaflyer

Thanks I will
I have a 2015 MKZ with the same issue. The Lincoln dealer says that they could not find any code(s) and attempted to charge me $132 although I have the Extended Service Plan. They said that "they charged me because they couldn't find any 'part' that needed to be replaced and could not charge the ESP Plan." I pushed their buttons and they called me to bring the car back tomorrow.
LantanaFlyer Florida

bbf2530

I have a 2015 MKZ with the same issue. The Lincoln dealer says that they could not find any code(s) and attempted to charge me $132 although I have the Extended Service Plan. They said that "they charged me because they couldn't find any 'part' that needed to be replaced and could not charge the ESP Plan." I pushed their buttons and they called me to bring the car back tomorrow.
LantanaFlyer Florida
Hi Lantana. This information applies to Lincoln Protect/Lincoln ESP Plans only: A "Check Headlamp System' warning light is a problem in itself, even if nothing else is wrong.

So if your "Check Headlamp System" warning light is on, then you have a demonstrable problem and should not be charged anything more than your deductible (if applicable). And if you have no deductible, you should be charged nothing at all.

The fact they can not find the underlying issue yet does not change the fact that there is an issue. And you should not be charged another deductible (again, if applicable) until it is fixed.

If you have a third party Extended Warranty, I do not know what your coverage contract may cover and how it is charged.

Mushmush61

Hi Lantana. This information applies to Lincoln Protect/Lincoln ESP Plans only: A "Check Headlamp System' warning light is a problem in itself, even if nothing else is wrong.

So if your "Check Headlamp System" warning light is on, then you have a demonstrable problem and should not be charged anything more than your deductible (if applicable). And if you have no deductible, you should be charged nothing at all.

The fact they can not find the underlying issue yet does not change the fact that there is an issue. And you should not be charged another deductible (again, if applicable) until it is fixed.

If you have a third party Extended Warranty, I do not know what your coverage contract may cover and how it is charged.

I am having the same problem with my 2016 MKZ it also says steering assist fault along with the check headlamp. My car has been in Chino Hills Ford since the beginning of Oct 2019.

G-516929

I have the same issue, at least I know there is nothing that can be done. 2017 MKZ 2.0 AWD

Ks49

This is a tsb for the mkx. I'm assuming it's the same issue with the mkz. I have mine in right now for this as well as a mirror replacement. I will let you all know what they did about it. I'm sure it is just something in the software but would be nice to not get this message on the dash! Screenshot_20191202-180150_Gallery.jpg

HTML