2017 Lincoln Continental wheel specifications

Town

Ottawa Ontario Canada
The 2017 Lincoln Continental has 3 wheel configurations: 18", 19" and 20" according to options selected.

Stock tire sizes are: 235/50R18; 255/45R19; 245/40R20.

Rim width is 8";

Bolt circle pattern is 5x108 mm;

Offset is 52.5 mm;

Hub bore 63.4 mm.

Wheel studs are metric 14 mm with thread pitch of 1.5;

Wheel nut torque is 162 ft lbs.

Todor

The 20" rims are 8.5J actually (they actually measure 9 on the outside at the wheel balance machine). And the 245/40/20 tyres are just a tad, but irritatingly:
1. Too low for really cushy ride. Can't imagine how hard the suspension works to return such a good ride quality with that excuse of a tyre;
2. Too narrow for the mass of the car at high speed cornering on smooth asphalt. At 100-110 mph on tighter highway corners you just feel the nose of the car is not pointing exactly where it would point with lower speed and the same steering input. Also, some acceleration produces some slight further understeer. On the edge of scary. On brand new UHP Falken Azenis with exactly correct cold pressure of 270kPa that rises to 300-310 in mildly hot weather - sub 100F
A8's with like 100-150 hp less and a tad less weight run on 265/40/20's on 9j20 wheels, just checked.
3. Too high cold inflation pressure. That 270 kPa setting is just scary. On a really hot day I saw one tire going to 340kPa which is the maximum inflation pressure of the tyre...
+ I experimented allot with pressure...
a. be sure to get all the water and moisture out of the tyres or to inflate with dry air or dry nitrogen - moisture expands much more than dry air or nitrogen... So, letting the water out of the tyre is done in cold morning, you rotate the valve to the bottom and let air out until water stops pouring out of the valve... you'll be amazed how much water a tyre can hold - up to 1-2 in3;
b. in continental climate, such as south-east Europe (tad more cyvilized than SE Asia LoL), dayly temperature variations in mid summer are very big. Inflate to 270 kPa in the morning at 18-20C and you'll end with 340kPa in the afternoon in the sun at the highway.
265kPa at 25C seems to work best, after half a mile it's already 270-275kPa and never returns more than 310 kPa. Can't derive a rule for other climates right now, but those of you with science inclination can look at the air density tables vs temperature and know what I'm talking about. Especially air with moisture in it. That's why you should avoid adding air at gas stations, compressor tanks are half full with water most of the time. Add air in hot weather and cold tyres.
BTW - Nitrogen has greater expansion ratio than air, it's bigger molecule and escapes less through rubber + most of the cases it's dry. So Nitrogen inflation pressure at 18-20C can safely be 260kPa. When season changes, you should readjust to the new conditions. - all that writeup just because seeing 340kPa is seeing danger (and less contact with the road)

-> A 255/40/20 tyre will fit perfectly on 8.5J rim, will have exactly the same diameter as the 255/45/19 - 712mm and would allow for cold inflation pressure in the region of 240-250kPa while retaining the same contact patch lenght and the same or less % of sidewall deformation (did my homework at calculating loaded and unloaded radius at touring weight, the percentage of deformation, lenght of contact patch and etc., it was fun). Overall it will have more area of contact with less pressure per unit of area, will roll slightly more to compensate for suspension imperfections (it's a McPherson after all) and retain better and stronger contact shape plus improved ride.
Can't wait to wear out the 245/40/20's and jump on 255's. Maybe I will buy one 255 and one 265 second hand just to see how each fits. 265/40/20 are 720mm diameter, still acceptable. - not sure how 265 will get along with 8.5J as Audi uses 9J rims.
I found the perfect tyre: Bridgestone Turanza T005MO 255/40/20 101XL MO, almost impossibly high parameters B fuel consumption rating, A rain stopping rating and 69db noise - all as per EU labeling standard. No better labeled tyre in existence in all other brands. The fact that it's not UHP summer is beneficial to Conti owners, it will ride well in milder ambient temperatures and stop well being cold.

-> Other than that, I made several long trips and had the chance to carve some tight nicely paved back roads at the seaside. The chassis of the Conti is a masterpiece. Comparable to the Mustang lightheartedly, even more precise steering and a tad more direct (sans the lower gear ratio of the rack). Up to moderate speeds it's very reassuring. At the edge of high speed the only letdown is the "lack of tyres".

Last edited:

jesse.srq

Thanks for the detailed writeup on specs, and your personal experience with the ride quality. And you're right on the Conti's underpinnings. It's incredibly confident in my opinion as well. No matter what size tire is being thrown at it. You answered one question that I had on the 20" wheel. I'm aware that the Fusion with 19" wheels come standard with the awkward the 235 but can accommodate 245 unofficially, and I was hoping the same is true with the Conti's 20"... When it's time for new tires, I will certainly keep this in mind!. Thanks again for your insightful information!

Todor

Recently I had a very serious experience with the Conti.
5-6 seconds of aquaplaning in deep water with tons of water on the windshield, no visibility in a right turn at 65 mph. The car was on cruise control, it kept it's trajectory perfectly. Enter the water at 65, exit at 52 mph. Cruise control self turned off.
The event was so long that I had time to try and look through the front passenger window to see if I can gain some orientation... All the time I waited to hit the traffic barrier on my left... Only input from me was keeping the steering wheel in the same position I entered the turn.

So 245 section tyres might be not so bad after all. Especially the fresh high tech Falken 510's... Now I would have a second thought before altering the tyre size... Although I would probably go for it.

Anyway, I want to ask if someone knows whether 17 inch steel rims fit on the Continental. Here we use separate winter wheels and tyres and I want to go for 235/60/17 on 7.5j17 ET52 5x108 steelies - perfect diameter, ET and etc. Only that the rims are on back order, so I can't try and see whether they'll fit over the brakes.

All options for alloy wheels here are from Volvo, Fusions, Focuses and some French brands that use 5x108 and I don't like the design.
I'll spray the steelies in the same Jade green as the car, don't worry. Also might do some fancy DIY wheel covers.
Always liked tall sidewall winter tyres.

Town

Ottawa Ontario Canada
When I was looking for winter wheels I was only looking for alloy 19". So I got Fast wheels 19" painted alloy model with 235/50R19 Toyo GSI5 winter tires through my dealer. They are about the diameter of my 255/45R19 all seasons and ride about the same. Lincoln Canada recommends 18" rims with 235/50R18 tires for winter.

I doubt that 17" wheels would fit over the front disc/caliper, since the rotor is 316mm (12.44") in diameter.

I have not seen steel wheels on a current Continental. Many Town Cars here have black steel wheels for winter and they look ugly regardless of body colour. Then after a winter they show rust in the seams and around the openings and look even uglier. Painted alloy wheels look nice and last well where there is high salt usage. My Town Car had alloy wheels for winter and lasted well, but painted alloy are better for winter.

Good luck.