2017 Continental Service Manual

Town

Ottawa Ontario Canada
I think you can manually go into the disc and get the files, good luck finding the ones you want.
Yes you can go into the disc, but I could not find anything helpful. The 3 parts to the manual are there and setup the same, but no data files included. Looked through all the folders and could not find any useful information on where the data might be. Here is the error message I get when clicking on the index hypertext link, and looking at icon in top right of page (used to this from Lincoln wiring manuals). Sorry the image is turned.

Helm manual wiring error.JPG

Called Helm and a very pleasant and knowledgeable lady quickly found my order info and escalated my concern to the technical people. Now I wait.

Town

Ottawa Ontario Canada
Hi @m1nkyb0y

Helm called today with my solution for the wiring diagrams not working. The instructions I was given over the phone are:

In File Explorer open the service manual disc and look for "Tools" folder and open it. Then open the ADOBE folder and open the "winnt" folder. Look for the SVGView.exe file and open it (double click) and follow the path for installation of newer file. I also have a french version of that file but I did nothing to that.

Once finished you can open your service manual in the normal way and select wiring diagrams and select the index item you want and that info is displayed. It appears that Helm may add these instructions to the package since they have had a few problems like this.

I am very pleased with the Helm manual and the customer service experience and the technical followup and resolution process. Obviously a customer oriented company of high quality products.

Town

Ottawa Ontario Canada
I tried to create a pdf file of a wiring diagram and nothing I tried would work, only produced a text file with error message. So I used the Print Screen key to create a clipboard info and ADOBE Writer to create a pdf. It worked OK.

Anyone have this problem and found a better solution?

pboehmer

Almost a year later... is the Helm manual/disc still the better option? Curious to see if anyone bought the EBay $25 one and what they thought of it. Is the OEM Ford Service Manual that much better then the Helm offering?

Town

Ottawa Ontario Canada
Almost a year later... is the Helm manual/disc still the better option? Curious to see if anyone bought the EBay $25 one and what they thought of it. Is the OEM Ford Service Manual that much better then the Helm offering?
As far as I can tell the content and display technology of the Helm manual is the same as the Ford manual, based upon my use of Helm and another member's use of the Ford manual. The main problem is Windows 10 which does not support electronic manuals, it is technologically deficient. The advantage of Helm is that you can call the company for help when wiring diagrams suddenly stop working. I have to call them again now with a few problems including the wiring diagrams problem again. My 2007 Ford manual also has the wiring diagram access problem that I am stuck with.

I didn't have any problems with Windows 7, it ran everything all the time.

Town

Ottawa Ontario Canada
I would add that in searching for information in the new manuals then you need to know the current terminology. So what used to be a prop-shaft is now a driveshaft in current Ford speak. It takes time to learn all the new terms.

pboehmer

Thanks for the info. I'm coming from a 2006 Chrysler 300 where the LX Platform (300, Charger, Magnum) Service and Part manuals (both in PDF format) were "out in the wild" and readily available on the various forums. I got pretty spoiled by having them since I did all the maintenance, mods, and repairs myself. I have no illusions to expect the same from any other manufacturer, just wondering what my options were.

Town

Ottawa Ontario Canada
Thanks for the info. I'm coming from a 2006 Chrysler 300 where the LX Platform (300, Charger, Magnum) Service and Part manuals (both in PDF format) were "out in the wild" and readily available on the various forums. I got pretty spoiled by having them since I did all the maintenance, mods, and repairs myself. I have no illusions to expect the same from any other manufacturer, just wondering what my options were.
I would like the well supported PDF format too. But the Ford service manuals are not PDF, there is a program install. The Ford manuals do give step by step processes to follow and they are excellent. The procedures and explanations can be "printed" to PDF format and saved electronically. All the maintenance items are covered, but can be a bit more involved than you would expect.