2017 Continental Service Manual

Town

Ottawa Ontario Canada
Searched the forum (everywhere) for a Service Manual for my 2017 Continental without success. So does anyone have a recommendation for a paper or disc or download version at a reasonable cost that has worked for them. My dealer wants $300 for the Lincoln version.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Town

Ottawa Ontario Canada
Thanks for the information. So that makes 3 versions:

2017 Lincoln Continental repair manual This one is available in 2 version for $90 and $130.

Lincoln Continental 2017 Factory Workshop Service Repair Manual | eBay This one is $25 and seems indexed by search word?

2017 Lincoln Continental Shop Service Repair Manual Premiere Select Reserve CD | eBay This one is astronomically priced at $265

Town

Ottawa Ontario Canada
It seems the Canadian version from my dealer is better value so far. Little interest in the validity of cobbled info for the US$25 one and the US$130 one will be close to my dealer price CAD$300. What appears to be the genuine Lincoln version is US$265 on sale from over US$600 so that is way more than my dealers price.

I will do some more searching.

m1nkyb0y

Westerly, RI
I have the "official" cd version for $250. It's not that easy to use and seems as though it was made for windows 95, ( it has to find things on the disc when it changes a page,) quite slow. But it does have some good info if you can figure out how to access it. Not very user friendly, but not impossible either.
I am glad I have it though. Your dealer version is probably a good deal.

m1nkyb0y

Westerly, RI
Probably not too much, but it is nice to have answers when you have a question.
I do know how to change the cabin air filter now though, so that's nice.

Town

Ottawa Ontario Canada
While under warranty my dealer does everything required to maintain the car except for switchover of all season to Winter tires and wheels. I believe this safeguards my warranty. So next May I will be doing most everything myself - hence the manual so I do things right the first time. I usually keep my car for 10 years so that helps justify the experience.

The factory service manual tells you a lot about the car and how it functions that cannot be found elsewhere. In this regard how does the 2.7 fuel system work without a fuel filter or what is substituted for a fuel filter? I use the manual to ensure the correct procedures for the normal maintenance of cooling system, brakes, spark plugs, chassis and drive system, and battery and charging system. Then there are the surprise items that the manual helps with such as HVAC actuators (a sore point on the Town Car) replacement. Once you have read the manuals text, pictures and diagrams you realise how many missing steps there are in the U-Tube videos and people's advice on how to do a job on newish technology by applying old technology experience. There is no substitute for a service manual.

I am used to working with the Lincoln Service Manuals and up to now have been very easy to use with general and detailed indexes and hyperlinks. There are also hyperlinks for all procedures required for a particular job completion, you just step by step (hyperlink) through all the procedures. for a particular job. All the manuals that I have include the electrical schematics and the general emission regulations.

The operating system and the year that the manual is for are two problems. The manual may have to have the computer month and year for the operating period of the manual and the manual will not work outside that range. The vagaries of Windows operating systems is not the only problem but the supporting applications (like Adobe reader) get out of date and prevent full and proper access over time.

The terminology in the manual is very specific and applied consistently but may not be according to my experience. If you don't know the terminology used then it can be difficult to access some parts of the manual, so just another learning curve.

m1nkyb0y

Westerly, RI
Mine expires in Dec this year, but 2 more years of CPO (only 18K miles.) There are tons of schematics. The only computer related info I found was how to change out the unit. I would have loved finding out more about the software. Perhaps there is another book, or there should be, about the computer's software. It seems no one in Lincoln service has any idea how the software works in any detail, just my observation having dealt with this problem. (Try to get a update rolled back, total mystery all the way up the service ladder. Their answer is to replace the computer!)

I have been watching Youtube videos about the PTU, which is a Ford problem with AWD cars. So I looked in the manual about our PTU and I found is has something that the Fords don't have which is a cooling line. The problem is that the 75W140 oil in it gets cooked and ruins the seals and other bad things. So the Lincoln and some other larger Fords have a cooling line to reduce the possibility of overheating. However, I see that there is a current TSB on the 2017 and 2018 Continentals with 2.7 or 3.0 which concerns the PTU problems. So inspecting the PTU for leakage might be something you can have the dealer do next time you bring it in for service. If you have more than 30K on yours it might be good to change the oil in the PTU or at least see what the oil looks like. There is a magnetic plug bolt in the bottom that will collect filings and if it has larger chunks on it you might have a big problems. Heres a link All Wheel Drive (AWD) – Right Side Transfer Case Fluid Leak – 2013-2018 Ford & Lincoln | Ford

Re the verbage about mechanical things. It helps when you go to the dealer and use terms they are familiar with, so you don't have to say " I think my cooling thingie might be askew. You know, the black one." LOL The manual has all the nomenclature.

jhartz

Virginia Beach, VA
I have always had the service manual for each car I ever owned. Back in the day, BMW, Cadillac and Honda had the best pubs. Jaguar filled in with loads of TSBs. This Lincoln is a lease: time to hang up the wrenches! Have an issue, call them up, they come and get it.

m1nkyb0y

Westerly, RI
Yeah, that's the way to go.
I will do easy things, and I thought changing a filter shoudn't be as difficult as the Conti's, so that became a challenge. I just like having the shop manual for the occasional question that needs definitive answering.
I tend to keep cars for long term. Though I was hoping this car would be a temporary ride til they perfect the battery situation with the electric ones. Hopefully less than 5 years. Judging from this year though, forecasting anything longer than a week at a time is sketchy.

lincolnnewbe

Found this from Helm Inc. @ $186.00 usd (OEM authored owner and service manuals)

Note: the last 2 digits (17) are the year of the Continental.

CARR142

CHERRY HILL, NJ
While under warranty my dealer does everything required to maintain the car except for switchover of all season to Winter tires and wheels. I believe this safeguards my warranty. So next May I will be doing most everything myself - hence the manual so I do things right the first time. I usually keep my car for 10 years so that helps justify the experience.

The factory service manual tells you a lot about the car and how it functions that cannot be found elsewhere. In this regard how does the 2.7 fuel system work without a fuel filter or what is substituted for a fuel filter? I use the manual to ensure the correct procedures for the normal maintenance of cooling system, brakes, spark plugs, chassis and drive system, and battery and charging system. Then there are the surprise items that the manual helps with such as HVAC actuators (a sore point on the Town Car) replacement. Once you have read the manuals text, pictures and diagrams you realise how many missing steps there are in the U-Tube videos and people's advice on how to do a job on newish technology by applying old technology experience. There is no substitute for a service manual.

I am used to working with the Lincoln Service Manuals and up to now have been very easy to use with general and detailed indexes and hyperlinks. There are also hyperlinks for all procedures required for a particular job completion, you just step by step (hyperlink) through all the procedures. for a particular job. All the manuals that I have include the electrical schematics and the general emission regulations.

The operating system and the year that the manual is for are two problems. The manual may have to have the computer month and year for the operating period of the manual and the manual will not work outside that range. The vagaries of Windows operating systems is not the only problem but the supporting applications (like Adobe reader) get out of date and prevent full and proper access over time.

The terminology in the manual is very specific and applied consistently but may not be according to my experience. If you don't know the terminology used then it can be difficult to access some parts of the manual, so just another learning curve.
Town, have you considered a Ford extended warranty?
My 11 Mkx is covered until 2021/100,00 miles.

Town

Ottawa Ontario Canada
Town, have you considered a Ford extended warranty?
My 11 Mkx is covered until 2021/100,00 miles.
Considered but I never saw a 10 year warranty in Canada. The shorter extended warranties don’t work well here, but i will check on that. Thanks for the idea.

I would still need a manual for the maintenance aspects.

Town

Ottawa Ontario Canada
Found this from Helm Inc. @ $186.00 usd (OEM authored owner and service manuals)

Note: the last 2 digits (17) are the year of the Continental.
Thanks for the link. The $186 price is likely US$ so very expensive in CAN$.

Town

Ottawa Ontario Canada
Yeah, that's the way to go.
I will do easy things, and I thought changing a filter shoudn't be as difficult as the Conti's, so that became a challenge. I just like having the shop manual for the occasional question that needs definitive answering.
I tend to keep cars for long term. Though I was hoping this car would be a temporary ride til they perfect the battery situation with the electric ones. Hopefully less than 5 years. Judging from this year though, forecasting anything longer than a week at a time is sketchy.
What is so difficult about changing the Conti's filter, presumed oil filter since i have already checked the air filter a couple of times? The oil filter is on top of engine and very accessible; I change the same type of filter on my son's Caravan twice a year, very simple. The oil drain is another issue since the large drain plug is supposed to flow and splash a great deal of oil around. And the 15 minute oil fill.

Town

Ottawa Ontario Canada
I have always had the service manual for each car I ever owned. Back in the day, BMW, Cadillac and Honda had the best pubs. Jaguar filled in with loads of TSBs. This Lincoln is a lease: time to hang up the wrenches! Have an issue, call them up, they come and get it.
Even with a lease the maintenance is your responsibility, isn't it? A long warranty to cover the lease period and a maintenance service agreement would cover you off as a turn-key owner though. Nice, and good luck.

jhartz

Virginia Beach, VA
So far the dealer has covered everything except the replacement of a tire that caught a nail ("too close to the sidewall to fix") and replacement wiper blades (Ford OEM blades suck). But it has been pretty faultless -- toe wave thingy broke, as did one of the door locks ("have to change all four under this special warranty."). 19,600 miles -- need to turn it in early or pay milage penalty after 24,500. With Covid 19, may get to next March . . . Either way, I think I will go for another: been a great car. It's a ten mile hike to my dealer, but they porter. . . . and there is a dealer very close to all the folks we visit in Northern VA, Charlotte, NC and Hanover, PA.

I may go for the Helm CD. Their hardcopy manuals used to be pretty good. Had one for a BMW 2500 and a Volvo years ago.

Town

Ottawa Ontario Canada
So far the dealer has covered everything except the replacement of a tire that caught a nail ("too close to the sidewall to fix") and replacement wiper blades (Ford OEM blades suck). But it has been pretty faultless -- toe wave thingy broke, as did one of the door locks ("have to change all four under this special warranty."). 19,600 miles -- need to turn it in early or pay milage penalty after 24,500. With Covid 19, may get to next March . . . Either way, I think I will go for another: been a great car. It's a ten mile hike to my dealer, but they porter. . . . and there is a dealer very close to all the folks we visit in Northern VA, Charlotte, NC and Hanover, PA.

I may go for the Helm CD. Their hardcopy manuals used to be pretty good. Had one for a BMW 2500 and a Volvo years ago.
That is a great warranty to cover maintenance items as well. I like the OEM wiper blades but then I like the beam type blades and have used them for a long time. Mine still work perfectly after 3 years, but only 29,000 kilometers.

I just checked with my dealer on price and availability of the Service Manual for my car. So he will research it and get back to me. Hope things are the same as 3 years ago!

HTML