2017 Continental Passenger Fuse Box

PJ Dacey

It seems impossible to access the passenger compartment fuse box without major take down of the dash. Is there any hack to make changing a fuse there not a full days work?

Town

Ottawa Ontario Canada
Welcome to the Forum.

Here is what the Owner manual says:
Passenger Compartment Fuse Panel
The fuse panel is located under the instrument panel to the left of the steering column.
Note: It may be easier to access the fuse panel if you remove the finish trim piece.

Is it not that easy? I have not tried to access those fuses.

Town

Ottawa Ontario Canada
I took a look at mine. It appears the panel has two plastic push pins to retain it. So i would imagine just remove those pins and access to fuse box will be easier. Must be a release mechanism that i cannot see with a quick look.

brucelinc

Minneapolis
The tech at my dealer says it is a major undertaking. They need to access mine as part of the procedure to update the TCU. I am somewhat skeptical based on what it says in the manual.

Town

Ottawa Ontario Canada
The tech at my dealer says it is a major undertaking. They need to access mine as part of the procedure to update the TCU. I am somewhat skeptical based on what it says in the manual.
Can you update us when completed for both problems. The TCU (the embedded modem?) and the fuse box. I can see the fuse box is not as easy to access as it should be.

brucelinc

Minneapolis
I was at the dealer yesterday to have my TCU updated because the Lincoln Way app no longer could communicate with the car. I planned to wait since they said the update would only take 45 minutes or so. After about 1/2 hour, the Service Advisor told me that the tech discovered that part of the update procedure was to first pull the fuse for the TCU for 5 minutes prior to reprogramming the TCU. He said that the fuse box "was inaccessible without removing much of the dash and steering column." It was going to take hours and they would give me a loaner.

I decided that I didn't want them doing that level of disassembly and asked if they couldn't just pull the battery cable for 10 minutes or so and then try to reprogram the TCU without pulling the fuse. The tech agreed to try it "to see if it would work."

SUCCESS! They were able to reprogram the TCU. Everything works perfectly now. I am still not 100% convinced that the fuse box is as inaccessible as they say but at least they got it fixed without any disassembly.

Town

Ottawa Ontario Canada
Thanks for the update. After disconnecting the battery did you have to re-program all those settings in Sync3? The radio and hvac settings usually need updating but there are so many other Sync3 settings.

brucelinc

Minneapolis
About the only thing I noticed was that the ambient lighting was turned off and the clock was off exactly 1 hour. I haven't found any other abnormalities. There might be something I haven't noticed but it seems like all is as it should be.

HTML