2017 Continental and EZ-PASS

Thread starter #1
I just purchased my 2017 Continental Black Label (with every option available) and I am trying to get my EZ-PASS toll transponder to work properly. Dose anyone know if there is some kind of coating on the windshield that would prevent the EZ-PASS from working? I did also purchase a new EZ-PASS holder that uses suction cups to stick it to the windshield. The web site for the holder says it does not interfere with the functionality of the EZ-PASS. I also ordered new EZ-PASS fastener strips so I can try the EZ-PASS without using the new holder. The EZ-PASS holder I bought was a Tonic Concepts 2013 T-Case which can be found at https://www.tonicconcepts.com/collections/frontpage/products/2013-t-case

If anyone has had issues using their EZ-PASS on their new Continental please let me know how you got around the issues.

thanks

Town

Ottawa Ontario Canada
The windshield has something for the rain sensing feature. I don't know how it is applied and whether it reacts with the transponder signal. In the center of windshield there is a rectangular box for the forward looking sensors for cruise, etc so have you tried up above that area? Lots of lincolns would have both the rain sensing and forward sensors.

Good luck.

Here in Central Florida, we use either SunPass or E-Pass (not EZ-Pass). My SunPass works fine, two suction cups, about two inches from top of windshield and just to the left of mirror.

Rusty Boltz

Fort Worth, TX
I have a North Texas toll transponder permanently mounted on my MKS with rain sensing wipers. No problems. I also have an EZ Pass with a suction cup mount; also no problems. However, I haven't used the EZ Pass in my MKS.

Thread starter #6
It is the wiper deicer I am concerned about. My previous car was a 2014 MKZ with rain sensing wipers and the ez-pass worked great. I previously owned a Ford Taurus with a windsheild deicer and I had to get the ez-pass that goes on the license plate. I was wondering if the wiper deicer would create the same problem?

Town

Ottawa Ontario Canada
The owner manual does not describe how the de-icer works. All I could find is the following on how to operate it:

Windshield Wiper De-icer (If Equipped)
The windshield wiper de-icer automatically turns on in low temperatures or when you manually switch the heated rear window on.

The 2017 Escape also has the wiper de-icer feature that operates locally at the bottom of the windshield where the wipers park. It is turned on the same way as your Continental so is probably the same design.

Probably will not affect your Pass if it is mounted high at near center of windshield.

Good luck.

My Sister and Brother-in-law in New York State, also had a car that the windshield EZ-Pass would not function. They also had to get a front plate mount. Mostly used on the NYS Thruway.

Thread starter #9
I spoke with a Lincoln service tech, that used to work in the factory, in the test group. He thought that the wiper deicer was a film put on the entire windshield. The coating is metallic so it can heat the windshield from the bottom up. He was not sure if it would hinder the use of an EZPass. So anyone on the forum have a 2017 continental with the wiper deicer that has an EZPass working or not working, please let me know.

Town

Ottawa Ontario Canada
I spoke with a Lincoln service tech, that used to work in the factory, in the test group. He thought that the wiper deicer was a film put on the entire windshield. The coating is metallic so it can heat the windshield from the bottom up. He was not sure if it would hinder the use of an EZPass. So anyone on the forum have a 2017 continental with the wiper deicer that has an EZPass working or not working, please let me know.
I think that is the old type of windshield de-icer. My son's 2007 Explorer has it and it works great for the entire windshield. It is very expensive.

Thread starter #11
OK. I got my EZ-Pass to work. As it turns out the wiper deicer is a metal film layer in the glass, and it goes to the top of the windshield. There is a small spot on either side of the box in the center of the windshield at the very top, in the black dot area, that does not have that layer in the windshield. I had placed my EZ-Pass there first, but found a post on the EZ-Pass web site that said not to put your EZ-Pass where the black dots are, so I moved it.. That is when my problems started. But it works fin in the area with the black dots. If you look closely at that part of the windshield you can actually see where the metalic layer stops. I will try the little black box with the suction cups and see if it still works in that location.

Thanks for all of your responses

Len

New owner and getting used to the peculiars of this car: your post drew my attention. On my Range Rover I had been stationing the EZPass on the sunvisor with rubber bands. But apparently this won't work -- I too have the deicer. Can you add a picture of where you installed the EZpass? Ordered some new velcro . . .

Thread starter #13
I installed my EZ-Pass in the black area right next to the rear view mirror. as close as you can get it to the top of the window (actually touching the top of the window border and touching the right side of the mirror). everything I read on the EZ-Pass sites said to never put your EZ-Pass in this location but it is the only place on the windshield that is not coated with a metal film.

I have an issue with my EZ pass since the day I bought my 2017 Continental. I have even been on the phone multiple times with PennDot to see what is going on. I was getting V-tolls every time I went through a toll booth. My Continental has the new HUD, Heads up Display where the dashboard information is shown up on the windshield. That is blocking my EZ pass from not only being not read, but also not even showing up in the photos taken of my car as I drove through the toll booths. The state has been very helpful with this. I was told the transmitter has to be in the windshield since the state troopers are really cutting down on people running through toll booth without paying. My only workable solution was to keep my holder attached to my windshield and become, as PennDot calls them, a waver. I have to hold my transmitter out of the window, go through the booth then put it back into the holder. It is a real pain in the you know where, but it works. Lincoln knows nothing about this issue since I have brought it up at the dealer multiple times and to Lincoln itself.
EZ pass did recommend I get a transmitter that can be mounted onto my front license plate so there would not be any interruptions. The only problem is you can not move it from car to car. I have 4 cars that use my one transmitter so that is not an option for me.

Just got the bill from EZ Pass for a run up to DC from Virginia Beach: Pass charged correctly at Chesapeake Bay Bridge Tunnel, Chessy Bay Bridge, cross county expressway in Montgomery and Prince George's County and I495 HOV in Virginia. The spot furthest to the top and right, right next to mirror assembly appears to be the sweet spot.

Did get fined for use crossing the Downtown Tunnel in Norfolk, but only because I forget to register this car to the pass.

Just got the bill from EZ Pass for a run up to DC from Virginia Beach: Pass charged correctly at Chesapeake Bay Bridge Tunnel, Chessy Bay Bridge, cross county expressway in Montgomery and Prince George's County and I495 HOV in Virginia. The spot furthest to the top and right, right next to mirror assembly appears to be the sweet spot.

Did get fined for use crossing the Downtown Tunnel in Norfolk, but only because I forget to register this car to the pass.
I have an EZPass from NJ. Used it in the downtown tunnel in a rental with no problem. I got the EZPass from NJ because it didn't require registration to a specific vehicle.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

HTML