• Hint: Use a descriptive title for your new message
    If you're looking for help and want to draw people in who can assist you, use a descriptive subject title when posting your message. In other words, "1998 Town Car" isn't going to indicate to anybody that you need help. However, "Need help with my 1998 Town Car" will. Be as descriptive as you can. Please use common sense... This message can be closed by clicking the X in the top right corner.

2016 MKZ Apple Carplay USB upgrade.

Welcome to the busiest full-spectrum Lincoln community online!

Please join us! We'd really love to have you as a member...

JVENGLEY2

Have been reading about the USB/Media Hub hardware update that needs to be installed and wanted to know what/if the part number for this is? I contacted my local Lincoln Dealer and they had heard of it, but had no idea. Just curious if anyone has done the install of the part, and updated to Sync 3 to use Apple CarPlay in their 2016 MKZ?
Thank you.

Keithnvegas

Have been reading about the USB/Media Hub hardware update that needs to be installed and wanted to know what/if the part number for this is? I contacted my local Lincoln Dealer and they had heard of it, but had no idea. Just curious if anyone has done the install of the part, and updated to Sync 3 to use Apple CarPlay in their 2016 MKZ?
Thank you.

Not an MKZ however I updated my 2016 MKX Sync 3 system with the updated USB/Media Hub this past September. Car Play now works great. Was a 5 minute job. The old USB popped out with the help of a flat screwdriver blade. Then squeezed the three sets of wire connectors on the back of the USB and out they came. Plenty of excess wiring to pull the USB out far enough to comfortably work with the wiring. Snapped the new wires in and pushed the new USB in the slot. Hooked up my iPhone and there was Car Play.
Part number was HA1Z-19A387-A. I had obtained the part number from a member on the MKX forum, then googled the part number. Found NewAutoParts.com to be the best price, $65.00. I had double checked the part number with my Lincoln Dealer who confirmed it was the same number part they could sell me. Their price was $95.00. While I ordered on line through NewAutoParts.com, the part was shipped to me from TASCA Ford Lincoln in Cranston, Rhode Island 02920. Hope this information helps you.

JVENGLEY2

Not an MKZ however I updated my 2016 MKX Sync 3 system with the updated USB/Media Hub this past September. Car Play now works great. Was a 5 minute job. The old USB popped out with the help of a flat screwdriver blade. Then squeezed the three sets of wire connectors on the back of the USB and out they came. Plenty of excess wiring to pull the USB out far enough to comfortably work with the wiring. Snapped the new wires in and pushed the new USB in the slot. Hooked up my iPhone and there was Car Play.
Part number was HA1Z-19A387-A. I had obtained the part number from a member on the MKX forum, then googled the part number. Found NewAutoParts.com to be the best price, $65.00. I had double checked the part number with my Lincoln Dealer who confirmed it was the same number part they could sell me. Their price was $95.00. While I ordered on line through NewAutoParts.com, the part was shipped to me from TASCA Ford Lincoln in Cranston, Rhode Island 02920. Hope this information helps you.
Thank you for the information. Just checking, is there a software update or anything else, or just the usb hub?
Thanks again!

David Bachman

I just ordered this part as described. Anxious to see if it works as described. I am very optimistic
Db

G-121464

David I wi like to do the same to my MKZ 2016. Can you tell me part #and if everything works

butcher10

I wonder if this device will work for me. I just bought a 2016 MKZ, but it doesn't have Navigation.

My salesperson thought I could use Android Auto on my phone to send GPS (Google maps) to my car's screen, but it doesn't work. I think this is because I don't have SYNC 3, and I don't think the car has an internal modem.

I'd gladly replace the USB port if that will allow me to get GPS on my car's screen, but I'm not sure it will work.

Does anyone know if this gadget will work for me? Or, any suggestions for getting navigation on a pre-SYNC 3 display screen?

Thanks.

butcher10

I think I found the answer to my question but I'll leave it here in case someone else needs it.

To go from Sync 2 to Sync 3 is more than a software upgrade. You have to replace the screen and other components. A new kit might cost $800-900, so it's kind of a big deal. Once you upgrade, you'll be able to use Android Auto through the existing USB port. If you're an Apple person and you want to use Carplay, you will have to replace the USB port in your car's console.

That's what the device in this thread is for. It makes Apple Carplay possible if you need it, but first you will need Sync 3. This device itself won't do me any good so I'll learn to live with Sync 2. It could be worse I guess...

ryanalexsingh

I have a 2016 mkx with sync 3 and I can’t for the life of my get my usb hub out to put in the new one. Would someone mind sending me a video of how they did theirs to help me out.

Bill W

I have a 2016 mkx with sync 3 and I can’t for the life of my get my usb hub out to put in the new one. Would someone mind sending me a video of how they did theirs to help me out.
Ryan
I am having the same problem with my 2016 mkx. Did you figure out how to remove the usb hub?

Many thanks,
Bill W

Multitask

Los Angeles, Calif
First off this is in the wrong section... but then I doubt the moderators are looking...

A 2016 would not have Sync 3 unless you update the hardware. It would have Sync 2, (My Lincoln Touch), so changing out the USB hub wouldn't do anything for you as far as AA or CarPlay ...

Spiffy

First off this is in the wrong section... but then I doubt the moderators are looking...

A 2016 would not have Sync 3 unless you update the hardware. It would have Sync 2, (My Lincoln Touch), so changing out the USB hub wouldn't do anything for you as far as AA or CarPlay ...

Incorrect. Early 2016 builds have Sync 2 but later builds have Sync 3.

In order for the Carplay upgrade to work, you need Sync 3, and you should download the latest update for your Sync system from the Lincoln website, and you need to replace the USB hub with part HA1Z-19A387-AC. I found that gently working a stubby flathead screwdriver (short enough to fit into the cubby) under the left edge of the existing USB hub popped it out pretty easily.