2016 MKX Check Engine Light

Welcome to the busiest full-spectrum Lincoln community online!

Please join us! We'd really love to have you as a member...

JR!

I have a 2016 MKX and the check engine light comes on occasionally and will stay on for 100 miles or less. It seems to happen shortly after I press the start button without having my foot on the brake. Has anyone else experienced this?

bbf2530

I have a 2016 MKX and the check engine light comes on occasionally and will stay on for 100 miles or less. It seems to happen shortly after I press the start button without having my foot on the brake. Has anyone else experienced this?

Hi JR. Have you had your MKX checked for stored DTC codes?

If not, I would recommend you stop by any big box auto store (e.g. AutoZone etc.), where they check your vehicle for stored DTC codes for free.

In addition, if your MKX is still within the 6 year/70,000 mile Powertrain Warranty, whatever is causing this issue may be covered under warranty.

Let us know how you make out and good luck.

Last edited:

JR!

Yes. You need to get the code read. The car is telling you whats wrong.
The light goes off after 40-60 miles, but only comes on after the “start” button is pressed without the brake depressed.

bbf2530

The light goes off after 40-60 miles, but only comes on after the “start” button is pressed without the brake depressed.

Hi JR. There is not much that can be done over the Internet, other than inform you that you need to have your MKX checked for any stored DTC codes.

Do you have a big box auto store (i.e. AutoZone, Advance Auto Parts) within 40 miles? Stop by one of them, tell them you have been getting a CEL, and ask them to check your MKX for any stored codes. Preferably while the CEL is illuminated.

Or alternately, make an appointment at your local Lincoln or Ford Dealer. If your vehicle is still within the 4 year/50,000 mile New Vehicle Warranty period, the issue will be covered under warranty. It may even be covered under the 6 year/70,000 mile Powertrain Warranty, according to what the underlying cause is.

Let us know how you make out and good luck.