2015 Navigator - Extremely noisy auxiliary radiator fan

Z737

Dallas, TX
The auxiliary radiator fan in my 2015 Navigator is extremely noisy. It is very annoying and a major disappointment. You can hear it inside the vehicle when it kicks on and others stopped next to me at intersections also notice it. I took it to the dealer where I bought it and the service writer knew exactly what I was talking about, but he said he didn't think there was anything that could be done about it until Ford recognized it as a problem. As expected, when I picked my vehicle up the service ticket showed NPF / no problem found. The technician that worked on the vehicle wrote that it was working as it should and that there was no service bulletin about the issue.

Has anyone else with a 2015 Navigator experienced the problem I am having?

Mine is the same way -- very noisy when it is running. Fortunately, it hasn't been running very often despite the recent 95-100 temps here. Seems to mostly run when the engine is already hot when I start it. Cuts off while I'm driving so it's not too bad.

After doing a little research, it seems to be the nature of the beast -- the electric fans will come on high when the engine is started when the engine bay exceeds a preset temp. So, if you have been driving and stop to go shopping, eat, or whatever and come back to your vehicle and start it, all that heat has been trapped and the hot temps outside don't let the heat escape. So, until you start moving and get some air blowing under the hood, the fans will have to run on high to cool things off.

Z737

Dallas, TX
Thanks for the reply Weldon.

I have decided cut and run from of my 2015 Navigator. When other 2016 SUV's start showing up in dealer showrooms I'm going to start looking. The auxiliary fan noise issue is a minor reason. There are several other major reasons. I just can't stand the Sync system and the Navigator with the EcoBoost engine gets lousy gas mileage in town and on the highway. I have had four Expeditions in the 10 years and this year I decided I would step up to a Navigator this time. In my opinion it was a waste of money. My wife drives the Navigator and I drive a Lexus. I have had 6 Lexus vehicles over the last 12 years and I only have high praise for them. Have not had one issue and the technology is far superior to what is in the Navigator. The way Lexus treats it's owners is fantastic. I'm so disappointed that I made a mistake by buying a Lincoln.

Yes, with the EcoBoost, the boost is great but the Eco, not so great. The Expidition L would give a little better milage based on the fact that it uses the 3.73 rear end and the Nav L uses a 4.10. That combined with a well insulated engine compartment keeping the engine noise very low and a gas pedal that's just a little too easy to depress can play havoc on any attempt to get decent milage out of these things. :)

My wife has an RX-350 she's happy with but when it comes to any road trips, we alway take the Nav. We both find it to be more comfortable on long drives. Myself, I find the seats in the RX too hard for more than a short trip and the cabin too loud. Guess that comes with old age.

Agree that the Sync system needs improvement, but then again so does GM's system. I don't ever use my wife's RX so I can't comment on it but my wife hasn't had any complaints about it. Hopefully, when the next generation Nav comes out, the'll get it right.

G-602882

The auxiliary radiator fan in my 2015 Navigator is extremely noisy. It is very annoying and a major disappointment. You can hear it inside the vehicle when it kicks on and others stopped next to me at intersections also notice it. I took it to the dealer where I bought it and the service writer knew exactly what I was talking about, but he said he didn't think there was anything that could be done about it until Ford recognized it as a problem. As expected, when I picked my vehicle up the service ticket showed NPF / no problem found. The technician that worked on the vehicle wrote that it was working as it should and that there was no service bulletin about the issue.

Has anyone else with a 2015 Navigator experienced the problem I am having?
Yes. I’m so disappointed in this car. I’ve had the same response from Lincoln and my dealership. It’s embarrassing to have a vehicle run that loudly. People ask what’s wrong with it. I can’t go through drive throughs because they cannot hear over the sound of the fans. What’s more disappointing is that Lincoln doesn’t address it

G-843630

Its a very common problem with the F150s and its not normal. My 2015 is doing it now too. It can be a cold start, and those fans go turbo mode instantly. The truck is not hot.
Ive figured out it does not do it when the AC is off so it tells me its more of an AC pressure issue. My AC is cold no issues there and I checked the pressures with a manifold gauge set and they're not too high, within spec.
So I think its the AC pressure switch itself ($25 from autozone, does not require evacuating the AC system)
If that doesnt do it Ill do the Expansion valve next ($40 part but requires evacuation and refilling with freon)

Cstanley-gs

Its a very common problem with the F150s and its not normal. My 2015 is doing it now too. It can be a cold start, and those fans go turbo mode instantly. The truck is not hot.
Ive figured out it does not do it when the AC is off so it tells me its more of an AC pressure issue. My AC is cold no issues there and I checked the pressures with a manifold gauge set and they're not too high, within spec.
So I think its the AC pressure switch itself ($25 from autozone, does not require evacuating the AC system)
If that doesnt do it Ill do the Expansion valve next ($40 part but requires evacuation and refilling with freon)

Z737

Dallas, TX
The noisy auxiliary fan is a common "feature" with Expeditions, Navigators and F150s with EcoBoost turbocharged engine. I had a 2015 Navigator that had the turbocharged EcoBoost. I bought in January 2015. I live in the Dallas area and starting in mid-May our temps can get into the 90's. On a warm day in May, 2015 my wife called me and told me there was something wrong with her SUV. It's making a horrible roaring noise she said. I checked with a service guy at the selling dealer. He told me "yep, that's normal."

HTML