2015 MKS Spare Tire Issue

Welcome to the busiest full-spectrum Lincoln community online!

Please join us! We'd really love to have you as a member...

nhodgson

My 2015 MKS recently had its first flat tire -- really flat. When my husband went to put on the compact spare, he discovered the lug nuts from the 20" factory wheels would not tighten down. In effect, my spare could not be used as is. He eventually found the correct size lug nuts on one of our trailers and was able to install the spare so I could drive to the dealer for assistance. The dealership could not explain how they sold me a car which could not have a tire changed without a different size lug nut being used. Has anyone else run into this? Shouldn't the car come equipped with everything necessary to change a tire?

nhodgson

Thanks for getting back to me. This is a certified used car with full warranty until 2024. The dealer insists the spare -- which looked new when first removed from the trunk -- is the same compact spare provided with all new MKS vehicles. It is a 20" spare but much narrower than my primary tires which is what caused the issue with the lug nuts. I've put the trailer lug nuts in the wheel well in case this ever happens again. It just struck me as odd that a car of this caliber would not have the means to safely change out a flat tire. If this had happened in the middle of nowhere, the only fix would have been to have it put on a trailer and towed to a dealership. I am attempting to contact Lincoln directly to ask the question. I have been unable so far to find anything in the original paperwork on the vehicle or original specs which specifically addresses this.

C Krohn

Fort Worth, TX
I'll be watching this. My '13 MKS was also a CPO. I haven't had a flat, so no attempt to use the compact spare. I also carry a 12 volt tire inflator.

Rongold

I have both a 2014 & 2015 MKS. Both cars have the 20 inch 14 spoke wheel option. The spare tire IS NOT a 20"---It is an 18". To be exact, the spare tire is a T145/70R-18. The wheel is black painted steel with 4 round holes near the outer edge. I checked both cars and they both have the same spare wheel & tire. I have had the spare on the 2014 MKS. It fit perfectly and the lug nuts tightened the wheel properly. You either have the wrong spare or the wrong lug nuts. I found a picture on the web. Here is what my spare looks like.

s-l1600.jpg

Last edited:

nhodgson

Thanks for responding. I will check your numbers against my spare. Is either of your MKS' an Ecoboost engine? If not, I'm wondering if there is a difference in the tire sizes?

Rongold

No, neither of mine is an ecoboost,. The ecoboost cars have 20 inch wheels and 245/45R-20 tires. The standard base model tire is 255/45R-19, and the 20 inch option on base model cars is the same size tire as yours--245/45R-20. The 20 inch wheel option on base cars is different than yours, but all MKS's regardless of wheel or tire size have the same lug nuts. This should be what your wheels look like if your car is an ecoboost.

10spoke.jpg
And, this is what my wheels look like.
mywheels.jpg
They both take the same lugnuts, and the spare is the same on all MKS's.

RON

Last edited:

nhodgson

Looks just like my wheels, except mine are 10 spoke, not 11. (unless I can't count). Can't get to spare size until this evening. Appreciate your assist.

NANCY

Rongold

Hi Nancy,

Tomorrow I will remove 1 lugnut and place it next to a tape measure so you can see the length. Like I said before, you either have the wrong spare wheel or the wrong lugnuts. I assume that the lugnuts on your car bottomed out and stopped turning before they tightened against the spare wheel.

RON

Last edited:

C Krohn

Fort Worth, TX
I have both a 2014 & 2015 MKS. Both cars have the 20 inch 14 spoke wheel option. The spare tire IS NOT a 20"---It is an 18". To be exact, the spare tire is a T145/70R-18. The wheel is black painted steel with 4 round holes near the outer edge. I checked both cars and they both have the same spare wheel & tire. I have had the spare on the 2014 MKS. It fit perfectly and the lug nuts tightened the wheel properly. You either have the wrong spare or the wrong lug nuts. I found a picture on the web. Here is what my spare looks like.

View attachment 10459
That's what's in my 2013 with 245/45 19s

Rongold

Nancy,

Here is what the proper lug nut looks like. It is about 1 5/8 inches long and is tapered where it meets the wheel. I took 2 pictures--One showing how long it is, and the other showing what the outer end looks like. Let me know if you have the right spare wheel as shown in my post above, and lug nuts. If the nut bottoms out before it hits the spare wheel, then you either have the wrong wheel, the wrong lugnuts, or the studs are too long. I doubt the studs are too long, because you wouldn't be able to tighten your regular wheels.

RON P1000817.JPG P1000818.JPG

Last edited: