• Hint: Use a descriptive title for your new message
    If you're looking for help and want to draw people in who can assist you, use a descriptive subject title when posting your message. In other words, "1998 Town Car" isn't going to indicate to anybody that you need help. However, "Need help with my 1998 Town Car" will. Be as descriptive as you can. Please use common sense... This message can be closed by clicking the X in the top right corner.

2014 w/ THX stereo questions

Rarebird

Did a quick search here and elsewhere online, only came up with a few threads that ended without resolution.

Wondering if anyone has any idea what processing is taking place with the THX system, and if there is a way to bypass? Sometimes music sounds amazing, then I can get back in the car (may be just restarting after leaving the store), and the same song/ source sounds muddy and flat. Trying to figure out what's changing...

Thanks for any help!

Sagar810

Boulder, COLORADO
Thanks. I've used both ways (prefer stereo), same issue- sometimes great, sometimes meh, same song/ source
I have had the same issue but with my system, the center speaker grill logo was lose and also the changing of the subwoofer helped clean things up. Still see the issue with the same song but its very rare now. Overall, I am very disappointed with the THX we have in the MKT/MKS. The ford BnO system in the F150 and Edge sounds so much better than the THX now.

Rarebird

I have had the same issue but with my system, the center speaker grill logo was lose and also the changing of the subwoofer helped clean things up. Still see the issue with the same song but its very rare now. Overall, I am very disappointed with the THX we have in the MKT/MKS. The ford BnO system in the F150 and Edge sounds so much better than the THX now.
It's not a terrible factory setup, but it's definitely NOT state of the art any more. Funny thing, today it sounded great again, cranking Simon and Garfunkle to Ultravox to Ramstein to Vampire Weekend. We'll see how it sounds when I get out of work tonight... The fact that it changes is what makes me wonder if the THX has some sort of parametric processing taking place.

What did you do with the factory sub? Just change the speaker, or did you do an additional box setup?

Sagar810

Boulder, COLORADO
It's not a terrible factory setup, but it's definitely NOT state of the art any more. Funny thing, today it sounded great again, cranking Simon and Garfunkle to Ultravox to Ramstein to Vampire Weekend. We'll see how it sounds when I get out of work tonight... The fact that it changes is what makes me wonder if the THX has some sort of parametric processing taking place.

What did you do with the factory sub? Just change the speaker, or did you do an additional box setup?
Just replace it and the dealership added some more padding material in the trunk which they said would help in better sound absorption and acoustics. It helped with my rattling in the trunk near the sub woofer area. Other than that just replace the center main speaker and the grill. That has helped a lot but overall sound output is not the best to be honest.

Sagar810

Boulder, COLORADO
Sync 4 is supposed to come out soon with wireless Apple Carplay. I hope they come out with an exact replacement so I can replace my Sync 2 with Sync 4. I know Sync 3 replacement is $1,500.
I doubt that will help improve the sound overall but maybe it might help with the uneven outputs that @Rarebird is facing.

RedGeminiPA

Altoona, PA
Sad news, but Sync 4 will never be available for the MKT. Completely different hardware, and vehicle integrations. Also, an amplifier is a physical asset to the sound system, and not something any audiophile would ever consider using an OEM product for an "upgrade." They'd go 100% aftermarket.

HTML