2014 MKS Radio and A/C Problems

BenFlorida

It all started with the Radio volume control spontaneously turning itself up. The console touch panel volume control would light up and volume increase a few seconds later. Diagnosis, panel defective and waited three months for replacement to arrive ($1,100). After installation/replacement, front radio speakers would not come on until car driven for a few minutes but then OK. Next, the A/C began to turn off, turn itself up/down and lock up on its own. Diagnosis, newly replaced panel was defective so ordered a new one. Available quickly and installed. After installation, radio front speakers quit entirely. Diagnosis, radio amplifier defective and must be replaced ($900). awaiting repair and return. Hope this is the end but have my doubts.

LTC1997

These diagnostic procedures almost seem aimed at draining your wallet, gads!

This might be a bad ground connection, and many other possibilities, but it seems almost obvious that replacing parts isn't leading to any resolution.

My advice is to find and try a new diagnostic expert, someone who understands more precisely how these problems are interconnected.

BenFlorida

It all started with the Radio volume control spontaneously turning itself up. The console touch panel volume control would light up and volume increase a few seconds later. Diagnosis, panel defective and waited three months for replacement to arrive ($1,100). After installation/replacement, front radio speakers would not come on until car driven for a few minutes but then OK. Next, the A/C began to turn off, turn itself up/down and lock up on its own. Diagnosis, newly replaced panel was defective so ordered a new one. Available quickly and installed. After installation, radio front speakers quit entirely. Diagnosis, radio amplifier defective and must be replaced ($900). awaiting repair and return. Hope this is the end but have my doubts.
Status update, Amplifier needed to repair is not available and dealer does not know when one may be available. Many were showing up in their database, however upon checking they found extremely poor inventory controls by Ford where units were defective and not returned, shipped and not removed from available inventory or they were returned and not taken off of good parts inventory at one of their nationwide dealers. Ford has serious problems with their repair of electronics specifically regarding available parts. Had great luck with my older Mercury Marquis's (2) but not sure I will ever purchase another Ford.

BenFlorida

Status update, Amplifier needed to repair is not available and dealer does not know when one may be available. Many were showing up in their database, however upon checking they found extremely poor inventory controls by Ford where units were defective and not returned, shipped and not removed from available inventory or they were returned and not taken off of good parts inventory at one of their nationwide dealers. Ford has serious problems with their repair of electronics specifically regarding available parts. Had great luck with my older Mercury Marquis's (2) but not sure I will ever purchase another Ford.
Status Update: Amplifier found outside of standard parts inventory at Ford authorized dealer by local dealer and replaced. They said they called 22 locations which stated they had the part but all were either defective or not available. Another $1,000 and stated it was guaranteed for as long as I owned the vehicle. This is the most expensive car I have ever owned in forty years. Dealer suggested possibly obtaining extended warranty but I know from history it should be a bad buy. Told them if I had another one of these I was going to trade for a new car which would definitely not be a Lincoln or Ford product.

Rusty Boltz

Fort Worth, TX
Did you buy your MKS new, CP or used? Mine was CPO. I've had it nearly 3 years, and put 30k miles on it. No problems.
I had a Grand Marquis years ago too. The wife still won't let me forget that I traded it.

BenFlorida

Did you buy your MKS new, CP or used? Mine was CPO. I've had it nearly 3 years, and put 30k miles on it. No problems.
I had a Grand Marquis years ago too. The wife still won't let me forget that I traded it.
Rusty, we have spouses who have very similar views on their Mercury Marquis baby. We owned two over the years and they were the best cars we have ever owned.

Our Lincoln MKS was purchased new and although it is over four years old, only has a little over 20K miles on it. The dealer gave us a loaner Continental and while it drove nicely, the features included were well below what I would expect from the model. My Chevy truck has most of those features at less cost. The dealer knew I was not happy when the A/C/Radio touch panel went bad for a second time and then to have a module they say is not associated with it but part of the audio system goes bad at the same time makes me question if there is not some association with the two problems.

HTML