2013 Adaptive headlamps problem. Please help.

Welcome to the busiest full-spectrum Lincoln community online!

Please join us! We'd really love to have you as a member...

Semp1

When driving my vehicle a fully loaded 2013 MKZ a Check adaptive Headlamps warning came on the dash high lighted in orange. The dealer informed me it was normal due to the going on then off quickly of the headlamps since i went in a tunnel then back to sun light. So I accepted that as an answer. But I just looked in settings under the sub section vehicle then the lighting sub section and an Adaptive headlamps on/off option is supposed to be there and it's not. Can some one pleas check if there's an option in their vehicle to turn the adaptive headlamps on and off. Thank you. This car has been nothing but problems. First month less than 1k miles and brought to the dealership 4 times already due to electrical issues.

Maxima10

I share your pain pal. Had th car at the shop for more than 5 days twice in the first 40 days. Call lincoln. They owe you for the poor manufacturing.

Semp1

I share your pain pal. Had th car at the shop for more than 5 days twice in the first 40 days. Call lincoln. They owe you for the poor manufacturing.

Is there an adaptive headlamps on off option under the lighting sub menu? I will call though. I plan on it trust me.

Serraph

Is there an adaptive headlamps on off option under the lighting sub menu? I will call though. I plan on it trust me.

Yes, go to Information, Vehicle, Lighting, then adaptive headlight on/off. Should be page 112 of your handbook.

Semp1

Yes, go to Information, Vehicle, Lighting, then adaptive headlight on/off. Should be page 112 of your handbook.

Thank you for the answer. Looks like my cars going back to the shop. Options not there. I'll be honest the car looks great but when it comes to the electrical end of it. Nothing but issues. A real shame Ford/Lincoln does nothing but fail in the QC department.

Father of Two

Florida
Semp1 -- I am interested in how your issue gets resolved, so please keep us up to date. With less than 2000 miles my '13 MKZ has been in the shop twice for electrical/computer issues, one of which is a recurring "Check Adaptive Headlamps" issue that cannot be replicated by the dealer. I get this alert while moving on the highway with the headlamps set to automatic in broad daylight with no tunnels or shadows in sight. Have already replaced the BCM in an attempt to remedy this issue (as well as an ambient lighting issue). I'm taking the car back to the shop (again!) in short order, and will let you know if I get resolution. Cheers!

Semp1

Semp1 -- I am interested in how your issue gets resolved, so please keep us up to date. With less than 2000 miles my '13 MKZ has been in the shop twice for electrical/computer issues, one of which is a recurring "Check Adaptive Headlamps" issue that cannot be replicated by the dealer. I get this alert while moving on the highway with the headlamps set to automatic in broad daylight with no tunnels or shadows in sight. Have already replaced the BCM in an attempt to remedy this issue (as well as an ambient lighting issue). I'm taking the car back to the shop (again!) in short order, and will let you know if I get resolution. Cheers!
My first issue was crazy. My cameras software wasn't working (no active lines or zoom feature available). My collision control and traction control was shutting itself off, the suspension could not be adjusted and lastly the ambient lights would go off on some or all panels. That was all fixed but the second I got the car back within an hour this issue came about. Btw let me remind you the car is only a month old still less than 1k mikeage. What ever. I love the car but for $51k I'm highly disappointed. Looks like I'll be going back to Cadillac when this lease is up in 23 more months. Also does any one else have a problem with the door seals constantly coming loose when opening and closing the front doors.

Father of Two

Florida
Semp1 - I don't want to get too far off-thread here, but I have had electrical/computer issues that are almost as crazy as yours, also within the first month. I took the car in for the adaptive headlights issue this past week, and they pulled a whole bunch of codes, including the headlamp error code. I have the car now and am awaiting the dealer to call me back with a recommended solution. My door seals are loose, but usually snap back into place without me having to touch them.

If there isnt a thread about all of the unusual glitches / "undocumented features" on the '13 MKZ, someone should start one.

Again, if you get a solution to your adaptive headlamp issue, I'd love to know.

Be well!

Cbusguy

I took my 2013 MKZ in for the same adpative headlamp error msg and have not seen it since they worked on the issue. I also do not have the option to turn them on/off in the vehical settings session as the manual says, which I chaulked up to the manual being wrong. However, now that it is getting darker sooner I've had more opportunity to drive the car with the lights on and am begining to wonder if the adaptive headlights are even working. I see them move when I start the car, but don't really notice them working while driving. Is the adaptive quality noticable under normal driving or is it possible that it would be hard to detect?

SteveB_TX

North Texas
I took my 2013 MKZ in for the same adpative headlamp error msg and have not seen it since they worked on the issue. I also do not have the option to turn them on/off in the vehical settings session as the manual says, which I chaulked up to the manual being wrong. However, now that it is getting darker sooner I've had more opportunity to drive the car with the lights on and am begining to wonder if the adaptive headlights are even working. I see them move when I start the car, but don't really notice them working while driving. Is the adaptive quality noticable under normal driving or is it possible that it would be hard to detect?

Oh you will notice them working when going around a bend or when making a turn. Little movements of the steering wheel won't affect them, and neither will turning the wheel while the car is stopped. :)

SteveB_TX

North Texas
Everyone has problems with the door seals. Bad design and poor glue. Just keep flipping them back on into place . Lincoln doesn't care enough to recall them for a permanent fix.

Not me. Mine are fine and dandy.

Semp1

I notice it all the time. BTW my lincoln has been at the dealer being works on by a corporate sent engineer for many problems including the adaptive head lamp issue. The ambient light not turning on which seems to affect many MKZ's and collision control and traction control repaid only shutting off. Personally I think I have a lemon but we shall see.

Father of Two

Florida
I notice it all the time. BTW my lincoln has been at the dealer being works on by a corporate sent engineer for many problems including the adaptive head lamp issue. The ambient light not turning on which seems to affect many MKZ's ... Personally I think I have a lemon but we shall see.

I just started the Lemon Law replace/repurchase process with mine for similar issues (and more, beyond the scope of this thread). Please keep us up to date on the ambient lighting issue! Thanks!

Cbusguy

I also have the Ambient Lighting issue. 'Ford' was telling the dealer to check other cars on the lot and if they work the same then it is considered normal...we'll you can guess that they all worked the same. It took talking to the service manager for something to be done. He is working with a field eng. to get a file to correct the issue, they worlked fine until the updated the BCM.

On a side note, the car wouldn't start Last Wednesday and I'm certain nothing was left on. The dealer believes something is 'waking up' and draining the battery, but they cannot find any error codes on the car so they are trying to reproduce. I'm hoping they can get both issues addressed this visit. I love the car, but have had far too many issues for a car with < 8000 miles and cost amost $50,000. I should have kept my '05 Mariner...best vehical I ever had and a major driver to buying another FMC product. The Lincoln might just be the last.

Serraph

Are you getting the Battery Saver message when you turn off the power? I know that resets the power window up/down and the ambient lights.

Father of Two

Florida
I also have the Ambient Lighting issue. 'Ford' was telling the dealer to check other cars on the lot and if they work the same then it is considered normal...we'll you can guess that they all worked the same. It took talking to the service manager for something to be done. He is working with a field eng. to get a file to correct the issue, they worlked fine until the updated the BCM.

On a side note, the car wouldn't start Last Wednesday and I'm certain nothing was left on. The dealer believes something is 'waking up' and draining the battery, but they cannot find any error codes on the car so they are trying to reproduce. I'm hoping they can get both issues addressed this visit. I love the car, but have had far too many issues for a car with < 8000 miles and cost amost $50,000. I should have kept my '05 Mariner...best vehical I ever had and a major driver to buying another FMC product. The Lincoln might just be the last.

I certainly feel your pain -- I also have less than 10k on my 13 -- my car does a few other things they've said were "normal." If they were normal, then the owner's manual would say something like, "Ambient lighting may randomly reset or fail to operate," which it doesn't. It might also say things like, "turn signal will frequently terminate prematurely when not in lane-change mode" or "transmission may generate an error tone on a random basis when you try to shift to Park."

I've also had the car "wake up" twice. Fortunately, both times were in public parking lots and not my garage at home. Both times I re-entered my car after about 30 minutes to find all the power accessories that were on when I turnedoff the car back on and running (a/c blower, radio).

Just got my first contact from Ford in Dearborn at the start of the Lemon Law process. Will see how good they are at turning a challenge into an opportunity.

jamestmb1957

A new user of this web site..
On the issue with the Lincoln MKZ..
"Check Adaptive Headlamp" it involves vehicles built on or before 7/1/2013
If not solved yet here is the fix...go to your local Lincoln Dealer or authorized Ford Dealer and give them this TSB (Technical Service Bulletin)
TSB 13-9-11..

Anjaa

A new user of this web site..
On the issue with the Lincoln MKZ..
"Check Adaptive Headlamp" it involves vehicles built on or before 7/1/2013
If not solved yet here is the fix...go to your local Lincoln Dealer or authorized Ford Dealer and give them this TSB (Technical Service Bulletin)
TSB 13-9-11..
Hello..
Will they fix it? Cost?