• Hint: Use a descriptive title for your new message
    If you're looking for help and want to draw people in who can assist you, use a descriptive subject title when posting your message. In other words, "1998 Town Car" isn't going to indicate to anybody that you need help. However, "Need help with my 1998 Town Car" will. Be as descriptive as you can. Please use common sense... This message can be closed by clicking the X in the top right corner.

2012 MKS awd struts & headlamps for friend of friend

MySistersMechanic

I'm new to the forum. A friend of a friend has an MKS. This person has been having serious financial problems & now her car needs repairs. I'm thinking about helping her out by doing the repairs for her. I work on my old Mazda, my sister's Honda, & my Dad's F-250, but I have no experience w/ Lincolns. It's going to take some effort just to see the car, so I wanted to ask & see if this was worth while doing before I made a long drive to look at the car.

1) Per her mechanic, she needs new struts & strut towers. Any car that needs new strut towers is going to the junk yard, so I'm guessing that this isn't correct. I googled & couldn't find any info about MKS strut towers rusting out, so I think this isn't common. Is it possible this is referring to the strut assembly? Do you guys replace the entire assembly when you need a new strut?

2) I have a strut spring compressor. Do I need anything else to replace MKS struts? Any special tools?

3) Per her mechanic, moisture is getting into her headlamp assembly & fogging the lenses. This won't pass safety inspection. I found new assemblies for ~$500 apiece, which she can't afford. My local U-pull-it has no MKSs. Is it possible to seal the assemblies? Clean the exterior & apply silicone glue to the joints?

4) She needs a new belt tension pulley. How hard is replacement?

5) Any recommendations on a manual? Go online & buy a factory manual on a disc?

Any advice from people who are experienced w/ working on these cars is appreciated.

HTML