• Hint: Use a descriptive title for your new message
    If you're looking for help and want to draw people in who can assist you, use a descriptive subject title when posting your message. In other words, "1998 Town Car" isn't going to indicate to anybody that you need help. However, "Need help with my 1998 Town Car" will. Be as descriptive as you can. Please use common sense... This message can be closed by clicking the X in the top right corner.

2010 Lincoln Town Car Trunk Lid Assist problems

dgd1967

I have a 2010 Lincoln TC with 21000 miles and the trunk lid assist stopped working a few weeks back. I did hear a clicking noise a few times when I hit the button on the key fob, but it closed. First, the lid would close, but not secure itself. It went down and just 'bounced up' when it was in the closed position. At this time, I tied it closed because I was on the road. Once I got home, it still was doing the 'bounce thing' when I tried to close the trunk lid.

Then, I checked both fuses (dash panel and engine compartment.) Both fuses are fine. Then, I disconnected the battery, thinking maybe something may reset itself. Well, I was wrong there, because ever since I reconnected the battery, nothing happens at all.

If the answer is replacing the power assist motor, I still have a question...Are there two SEPARATE motors that perform the closing of the trunk lid? I know of the one that sits up on the 'shelf' in the trunk itself and does the majority of the opening & closing. But, is there another that does the last 1" or so of the closing of the trunk lid?

MichaelWuolukka

I have a 2007 LTC signature and the same problem. Nothing works with the trunk lid open/closing system. I have checked the door button and continuity meets specs I found in a previous response by Town with shop manual troubleshooting directions and diagrams. Any help would be appreciated: suggestions, shop manual sections,etc. I am fully capable of troubleshooting with volt/ohm meter, etc. I just don't want to screw up any electronics by going in blind. Incidentally, looking things over, I found the trunk lid assist assembly top rear bolt loose such that I could easily remove it by hand.
Town - your posts are always thorough and accurate. Any ideas?

Town

Ottawa Ontario Canada
I have a 2010 Lincoln TC with 21000 miles and the trunk lid assist stopped working a few weeks back. I did hear a clicking noise a few times when I hit the button on the key fob, but it closed. First, the lid would close, but not secure itself. It went down and just 'bounced up' when it was in the closed position. At this time, I tied it closed because I was on the road. Once I got home, it still was doing the 'bounce thing' when I tried to close the trunk lid.

Then, I checked both fuses (dash panel and engine compartment.) Both fuses are fine. Then, I disconnected the battery, thinking maybe something may reset itself. Well, I was wrong there, because ever since I reconnected the battery, nothing happens at all.

If the answer is replacing the power assist motor, I still have a question...Are there two SEPARATE motors that perform the closing of the trunk lid? I know of the one that sits up on the 'shelf' in the trunk itself and does the majority of the opening & closing. But, is there another that does the last 1" or so of the closing of the trunk lid?
Yes there are two motors with separate functions. The first one is the latch motor that is mounted at the bottom of the trunk lid on the inside. It is operated by an electrical release or the ign key placed into the opening by the license plate. So you can hold the trunk lid closed and lock it with your ignition key, or unlock it with your ignition key. You don't need to tie the trunk lid closed.

The second motor opens and closes the trunk lid. Both motors are controlled by a module that receives input from the DDM when the trunk button on drivers side door side panel is operated or the key fob is pressed 2 times.

The trunk lid operation is terminated when the car battery power is lost, such as your disconnecting the battery. The system must be re-initialised to again operate the system. Following is the procedure to follow:

Luggage Compartment Lid Motor Initialization

Disconnect the battery.
With the luggage compartment lid in the closed position, reconnect the battery.
Operate the luggage compartment lid to the full open position by using the luggage compartment release switch, the remote keyless entry (RKE) transmitter or the RKE keypad.
Operate the luggage compartment lid to the full closed position by using the same method from the previous step.
Verify the operation of the luggage compartment lid.

See if this fixes your problem. Good luck.

I will ask Sal to move this thread to the Lincoln Town Car forum which will better serve resolving your problem. This Tech forum is more intended to post solutions for problems.

Town

Ottawa Ontario Canada
I have a 2007 LTC signature and the same problem. Nothing works with the trunk lid open/closing system. I have checked the door button and continuity meets specs I found in a previous response by Town with shop manual troubleshooting directions and diagrams. Any help would be appreciated: suggestions, shop manual sections,etc. I am fully capable of troubleshooting with volt/ohm meter, etc. I just don't want to screw up any electronics by going in blind. Incidentally, looking things over, I found the trunk lid assist assembly top rear bolt loose such that I could easily remove it by hand.
Town - your posts are always thorough and accurate. Any ideas?
At the moment nothing seems to work with the trunk release system. So you may want to start with the trunk re-initialisation procedure documented in the response to the original poster. If that does not work then use your ign key to release the trunk. There are torsion springs that help the trunk closing motor function. The open end on the right side of trunk should have strong tension so check that. With the trunk lid released from the latch can you lift and lower the trunk lid with the key fob or driver door button? Can you feel resistance from the motor while manually raising and lowering the trunk lid (motor physically attached to trunk lid arm)? Can you lock the trunk lid closed with the ignition key?

I will have to check the diagnostics for what doesn't work on your car, and the location of the trunk module.

Good luck.

Town

Ottawa Ontario Canada
I have found several of the procedures to better understand the trunk opening components and how they work together and the diagnostics. They are attached. Unfortunately they are in alphabetic sequence, so probably the last file should be the first file. The two trunk lid closing motor procedures show different aspects of the motor housing attachment to the hinge and how to remove and install.

The two procedures dealing with the trunk lid latching solenoid motor will be in the next post.

Good luck

Attachments

Town

Ottawa Ontario Canada
Attached are the files dealing with the trunk lid release solenoid motor and the manual ignition key release which is part of the lid release but shown in closeup without the other parts.

I am still looking for a way to extract the electrical circuit diagrams (Cell ...) and the location info for the trunk control module. The 1998 to 2002 models do not seem to have the electronic trunk operation.

Good luck.

Attachments

Captain Danger

Town

Thank you so much for posting those diagrams.
I have been driving Mark VIII's for the last 15+ years and had full documentation
I just got my 2009 town car last month and today the trunk would not open or close automatically
With the help of your documentation I was able to resolve the issue.

In case this can help someone else I will describe my problem and the solution.

Coles note version
The reset described i nthe ownes manual requires that the turn be closed.
This mean that the lid is closed and the pull down motor is fully down. The dash should not show the trunk open.
to get the pull down motor down if it is up and nothing works jump power to it. A convenient location to do this is using the plugs on the Luggage compartment lid module.

War and peace version

We had a snow storm and the temperature dropped to below zero (Fahrenheit not that bogus Celsius system)
I open the trunk at work for get the snow scrapper to clear the car, some snow entered the trunk.
After clearing the car I reopen the trunk put the scrapper in and drove home.
At home I wen to open the trunk to get some groceries it started to open then ran into resistance an then stopped.
Tried several times no luck. The key release was frozen over so I gave up for the night. The trunk was closed but was not pulled tightly into the body.
Today I brought it into the shop at work and tried again, nothing not noise no sound of the solenoid clicking nothing
I was able to release the trunk with the key.
Check the owners manual it mentioned the system had to be reset if the battery went dead. I pulled the terminals off of the battery, closed the trunck powered the car up hit the release nothing.

Started searching the internet found this forum and documentation Town posted.
Downloaded loaded the trouble shooting procedure and started from there
Check the fuses , All OK
Next point to point tests , the trunk is controlled by the luggage compartment module. It is located inside the trunk up against the back seat.
The covering must be pulled off to access it.
The module has 4 plugs , on for power , with two large wires , one for motor control , 4 wires , one for the trunk lid motor and latch control and one for th release.

Check for power was OK
Check for ground was OK
Jumped power tot he trunk lid motor - It ran but the trunk lid did not move , swapped polarity tried again same result.
Remove the motor , thought there may be a stripped gear or something but there seem to be nothing broken , ther this appear to be some type of clutch mechanism though.
Next checked the signal coming back from the latch , it did not seem to respond exactly as be the troubleshooting guide , there should be a difference in resistance to ground on one pin depending if the latch is open or closed.
From what I could tell the latch was showing closed (note the dash display showed the trunk open.
Next there is a motor that pulls the trunk down , it was in the up position because even when the trunk was manually closed it was not tight.
I jumped power to that motor and the holder pulled down
The owners manual say that to reset the trunk the system must start off with the trunk closed.
I suspected that the system did not know the trunk was closed because the pull down mechanism was in the up position.
I put the trunk lid motor back together , put all the plugs back closed the trunk and it pulled itself into place
Hit the key fob and everything worked.
There must be some electromechanical coupling for the trunk lid motor which would explain why the lid would not move when I jumped power to the motor.
With the pull down in the upper position the system cannot be reset. Without resetting the system there is no way to get the pull down down Classic catch 22.
Unless you want to take your car to a dealership or a mechanic you are screwed.
Maybe there is another way to get the pull down motor all the way down but this worked from me.

tmccoy

G-529540

Yes, there is a second motor under the trunk latch itself that does the final pull down

HTML