2008 MKZ THX Aftermarket Sub Wiring

Thread starter #1

ShowBoater

I am looking for a little extra oomph from my 08 MKZ's stereo system. The upgraded THX system is no slouch but, at higher volume, the bass distortion from the 6x9s is awful! I am looking to run a sub and amp in the car but don't want to ruin the look of the dash nor lose the navigation system, etc. Does anybody have any experience running a sub and amp with the original THX radio?

Absolutely. Have a 2012 MKZ with the THX system. The key to adding an aftermarket sub to the OEM radio setup is you need a LIO (Line Out Converter) that is more than the "dumb box" of resistors and capacitors. The problem is the OEM stereo starts to "roll off" the bass output as the volume increases to reduce distortion and prevent blown crappy speakers. The best LIO that I've found (and currently use) is the Audio Control LC2i. It'll run you $60-$70 (got mine at amazon, expect to pay over $100 at a stereo shop though), and requires power to it. It takes the incoming audio signal and via signal processing detects when bass starts to decrease as volume increases, and automatically increases the bass output to compensate.

My current system consists of a signal being fed from the LC2i to a Kicker KXA1600.1D amp (a friggin MONSTER) all of which feeds a single Alpine R-type 12" DVC sub. And yeah, I'm WAY over-powering a single R-type with the amp I'm running. 'Sall good, the R's are way under rated. If I can figure out how to post pics here, will throw up a few.

Ruddogg80

Absolutely. Have a 2012 MKZ with the THX system. The key to adding an aftermarket sub to the OEM radio setup is you need a LIO (Line Out Converter) that is more than the "dumb box" of resistors and capacitors. The problem is the OEM stereo starts to "roll off" the bass output as the volume increases to reduce distortion and prevent blown crappy speakers. The best LIO that I've found (and currently use) is the Audio Control LC2i. It'll run you $60-$70 (got mine at amazon, expect to pay over $100 at a stereo shop though), and requires power to it. It takes the incoming audio signal and via signal processing detects when bass starts to decrease as volume increases, and automatically increases the bass output to compensate.

My current system consists of a signal being fed from the LC2i to a Kicker KXA1600.1D amp (a friggin MONSTER) all of which feeds a single Alpine R-type 12" DVC sub. And yeah, I'm WAY over-powering a single R-type with the amp I'm running. 'Sall good, the R's are way under rated. If I can figure out how to post pics here, will throw up a few.
I have a 2013 MKZ and wanted to ask where did you run you LineOut Converter? I have two 12” Boss subs and a 500 watt kicker amp I’m just a bit confused on this help me out if you can thanks

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

HTML