2007 Town Car rear shocks

CWHusker

Hey all. I recently replaced the rear shocks as the factory units were leaking. Silly me assumed any shocks made for the car would be similar in ride quality to the factory units. Obviously the shocks, like many other parts, are shared with multiple panther vehicles. I went with the Duralast dual tube shocks (TS33-31962B) and the ride is now super harsh and stiff. I was wondering what you guys who have replaced them while keeping the air suspension decided to go with.

Also, I did notice the shocks were slightly shorter than the factory units and had a different upper bushing and thread setup. The factory shock has a shoulder at the bottom of the threads that stops the nut where the Duralast shocks just end the threads. Threading the nut all the way until it tightens really compresses the bushings a lot so I was wondering if these are meant to be adjustable or set at a certain point on the threads and the nylon locking coupled with the bushings pushing back on it keeps the nylon locking nut from turning. All the repair manual says is to tighten and torque and there were no instructions provided with the shocks. Thank you guys for your insight.

Nongmin

Charlotte, NC
Hey all. I recently replaced the rear shocks as the factory units were leaking. Silly me assumed any shocks made for the car would be similar in ride quality to the factory units. Obviously the shocks, like many other parts, are shared with multiple panther vehicles. I went with the Duralast dual tube shocks (TS33-31962B) and the ride is now super harsh and stiff. I was wondering what you guys who have replaced them while keeping the air suspension decided to go with.

Also, I did notice the shocks were slightly shorter than the factory units and had a different upper bushing and thread setup. The factory shock has a shoulder at the bottom of the threads that stops the nut where the Duralast shocks just end the threads. Threading the nut all the way until it tightens really compresses the bushings a lot so I was wondering if these are meant to be adjustable or set at a certain point on the threads and the nylon locking coupled with the bushings pushing back on it keeps the nylon locking nut from turning. All the repair manual says is to tighten and torque and there were no instructions provided with the shocks. Thank you guys for your insight.
Check my post from yesterday 5/10 re using Monroe CVPI shocks. I'm happy with the results.

CWHusker

Thanks, Nongmin. It appears as though you're experiencing the same or similar results as me with the Duralast. Unfortunately, unlike you, I wanted to retain the factory ride while you were looking to stiffen it up. I feel like I'm bouncing down the road in a lowered car compared to how it rode before and that was the main thing I loved about the car.

Brian J. Patterson

Northern Illinois

Hi, CWHusker.

I would recommend the Motorcraft ASH24539. It's pricey, but it the actual factory part, or as close as you can get. You can get them at Rock Auto. They also have a selection of major brands at competitive prices. I would not recommend "Duralast" to anyone, and it doesn't sound like you would, either.

Good luck.

G-249820

Thanks, Brian. I've read elsewhere that the mororcraft shocks are just rebranded monroe shocks as the actual motorcraft shocks are no longer made. Have you heard this?

CWHusker

Thanks, Brian. I've read multiple times elsewhere that the new production Motorcraft shocks are just rebranded Monroe. Have you heard this?

Brian J. Patterson

Northern Illinois
Thanks, Brian. I've read multiple times elsewhere that the new production Motorcraft shocks are just rebranded Monroe. Have you heard this?
Hi, CWHusker.

"Heard this?" Sure I have, including one or two other shock threads on the front page here. Do I know this from personal experience, one way or another? No.

Multiple top-shelf makers make "custom-branded" shocks for Ford and Fiat-Chrysler. GM was the only maker that truly persisted in making their own "almost everything," and I'm not entirely sure that AC/Delco still make their own stuff.

However, Monroe is still a fine brand making fine products. There are other equally fine brands as well. If you identify the Monroe branded product with identical mounting, performance, and longevity to the Motorcraft branded item, so much the better. Or, buy the actual Motorcraft item and hopefully remove all doubt.

Or, you can buy shocks from one of the other "top-tier" makers. Either way, you should be happier with them with what you have right now.

Good luck.

wolf_walker

I can absolutely assure you at least some of the motorcraft branded rear shocks are re-branded monroe oe-whatever they call them shocks for a bit more money. Unashamedly so. It's completely possible that they are not all that way. I have photos of the set I bought a few years ago (and returned) somewhere. I can't recall who but Monroe didn't make the factory shocks on my 04, I want to say it was Tokiko but I wouldn't swear it it's been so long.
Motorcraft was and I think in a lot of cases still is Fords "aftermarket" line of parts, vs the blue box genuine real-deal Ford parts. They had a bit of a shakeup a few years back which you can read up about in trade mags of the time where they restructured and repositioned themselves a bit.
But Motorcraft does in no way automatically indicate genuine OE just like the car was built with quality parts any more than AC Delco means it's factory GM. I put an AC Delco water pump on my ford van a number of years ago that was clearly and again unashamedly labeled made in China, and it was just fine amusingly.

That said, there may well be a Monroe or some such you're happy with, best you can do is look for (recent) reviews of specific parts on forums
and go from there. The OE-Spectrum I had were astonishingly soft, I could easily compress and extend both of them, VS my still good originals
that were both much stiffer (which is one of the things an air spring vs steel spring wants). The car would have had a heck of a lot of float with those
Monroe I'm sure, if that's what one is after than there ya go. User Nongmin that posted earlier had a much more reasonable sounding experience
with his cop car shocks he used, and it matches what I'd have guessed.

CWHusker

What I thought was going to be the simplest part of this car's refresh has turned into a goose chase...and I've done the intake manifold twice! (manifold from 1a auto warped and started leaking after 4 months so I did what I should've done in the first place and put the Ford Performance part on it.)

Anywho...I ordered the Monroe OESpectrum shocks and this happened...both marked 5993 on box and shock tube. shocks.png
I'm assuming that during their change in production, the larger (wrong) shock that's marked with the town car part number (5993) ended up in a box also marked 5993 instead of the correct number for whatever vehicle this one is for. That's my thinking based on the note included with the shocks. So....take 4!

Nongmin

Charlotte, NC
Good Lord, what is going on at Monroe these days?? I recounted earlier about having missing parts when I bought the CVPI shocks for LTC #2, now you have this experience??

The first time I bought OESpectrum shocks for LTC #1, I had to slightly grind down the bushing at the lower mount (shock on the right in the picture). No problem, maybe a small variance in parts used. In order to make the shock on the left fit in the mounting area, you'd be at the grinder all day!! It seems they want you to just accept what they manufacture and then YOU get to make it fit. Actually, the lower end of the shocks look vastly different, from your picture. Sorry quality control, either in manufacturing or end-line packaging. A great way to run customers off.

CWHusker

Yeah, it's pretty great haha. I have read that multiple brands of replacement shocks are slightly too wide at the bottom. The duralast (poor decision making on my part haha) were maybe a 16th too wide so I figured spreading the bracket ever so slightly wouldn't be an issue as the factory shocks seemed to close the bracket slightly inside of 90 degrees. Got a half inch bolt, a few nuts and washers to make my own spreader, heated up the bracket and pushed it out just enough to accept the new shocks. These Monroe (or the correct one anyway) appear to be the same width as the duralast so hopefully it'll be a quick swap...fingers crossed.

Yeah, the two tubes look similar enough to call the same, but one is significantly larger and wider on the bottom.

If these fit properly and don't have a ridiculous ride, I'm calling this part done because enough is enough already haha.

wolf_walker

Application consolidation. If it's close enough that one SKU will cover a range of applications, that's good enough.
Same applies to the valving, one size fits most. I wouldn't wee on monroe or gabriel if they were on fire personally.
Not that I blame you for slapping them on there and getting on with life.

CWHusker

Haa the five year old part of my brain (most of it) likes that you said wee. My wife and I have an infant so time for this kind of stuff is in pretty short supply. I got a good price on them from Amazon and thankfully the return/replace process is easy. The replacement will be here tomorrow so cross your fingers it's the correct one.

HTML