2007 Town Car intermittent whir/squeal

CWHusker

All of this blood, sweat, tears and $$ put into my Town Car to take care of preventative maintenance and make her last for me and it starts making what may be a really scary sound last night. It's a high pitched squeal/rotational whirring that comes and goes and is most evident when warm and best heard back toward the fire wall or under the car. It is hard to tell whether it's a rotational squeal or a vibrational one. It does come and go with change in RPM and doesn't seem to mind whether it's in gear or park. Obviously I confirmed it wasn't a belt, fan or pully based on the location. The exhaust feels really solid too. I'm just concerned it's a transmission issue, but would that be intermittent and RPM dependent? I realize this is still pretty vague and could be any number of things, but does it sound familiar to anyone?

CWHusker

It really sounds like it's coming from back by the firewall or underneath the car rather than up front. I'm going to see if I can pick up a mechanic's stethoscope over lunch and track down the location.

Nongmin

Charlotte, NC
It really sounds like it's coming from back by the firewall or underneath the car rather than up front. I'm going to see if I can pick up a mechanic's stethoscope over lunch and track down the location.
Noises can be elusive. What I once thought was a squeak near the driver's side doors turned out to be the hood latch pieces at the front. Plenty of PTFE grease on the offending parts and no more squeaks. Failing alternator bearings can be hard to find, until they finally let go in a big way. Good luck!

CWHusker

You're absolutely right, Nongmin. I got a stethoscope over lunch so I'll check it out further when I get home. In an effort to convince my car it's not a transmission issue and just an alternator, what brand alternator do you guys like? I see I can spend anywhere from $70 to $300. My wife would definitely prefer the former...

Nongmin

Charlotte, NC
If you live near a good quality auto electric shop, you might want to see what they can do for you. Many years ago, I supplied repair parts to these shops throughout the SE USA and a good one can get you fixed up. I can't remember if our 2007 cars use a 3G or 6G version alternator, but a good shop may have one on the shelf, ready to go. These shops can "clock" the housing correctly on an in-stock unit and take yours as a core. Sadly, many of these repair shops have closed up and left some markets to the distribution suppliers or parts houses.

The market has changed greatly since I was knee deep in it, many suppliers buy Chinese rebuilts and some are good, some not so much. The Cardone rebuilts were usually reputable replacements, but I don't know if they've made any changes. Really good shops could take yours off, tell you real quick what's wrong, change bearings and brushes, test the internal regulator, rectifier, etc. fix it and send you on your way. NAPA sold their Rayloc brand and they had rebuild centers in TX and MD, but those are gone and I have no idea where they source starters and alternators these days.

CWHusker

Thanks, guys. I was talking to an old Ford tech and he suggested that I pull the belt and see if I can duplicate the problem while running the car without the belt for a minute. Unfortunately, the problem still exists without the belt on which rules out all belt/accessory item issues. I have basically given up at this point and will be trying to get in with a mechanic my friend has been using for years. I'm afraid it's something major inside the engine in the neighborhood of the crank or timing chain.

CWHusker

Yeah, if it's something major internally I'm pretty well screwed. An engine overhaul would either take the car off the road for too long (if I were doing the work myself) as it's my daily driver or cost more than it's financially feasible to have done by a mechanic charging $100+ an hour in labor. It may actually be worth more to keep it, work on it slowly as I have time and get something else to drive daily. I've been looking into a future project car, but ole Large Marge may just have forcibly taken that slot. I'm dropping by the mechanic after work tomorrow so he can take a listen so I'll let you guys know what the news is. Cross your fingers it's something silly I've overlooked!

HTML