2007 Town Car Designer

Thread starter #1
I purchased my 2007 Town Car Designer during Ford’s fire sale in January 2007. I ended up paying the same price that I paid for my 1996 Town Car. The Designer has standard 17" chrome wheels, upgraded leather interior with a darker piping, fog lights. This car was just delivered with my test drive starting at 04 miles on the odometer. I purchased the car that day and took it home. It also had a Moonroof, whitewall tires, Champagne color with the light Designer interior, 6 CD player. The dealership also had the exact model but with Navigation which I didn’t want. That added over $3,500 to the cost and I had no idea if updated maps would be available in the future. In 2011, Ford no longer supported that Nav System–glad I didn’t get it!

We went on long trips in this car. I installed a full size spare tire in the trunk due to long trips. Due to a redesign of the trunk to add a few inches of leg room to the rear seat, the full size spare hung over into the trunk. I usually removed the lower rear seat cushion for our cooler as Summers in AZ are HOT! I got over 28 MPG on these trips going 80MPH for 3 hours without stopping and some times not seeing another vehicle–that’s why I had a spare tire + factory donut + flat kit and small compressor.

I installed an external transmission filter along with Mobil 1 transmission fluid due to our local summer heat. Also used Mobil 1 5W-20 in engine. In 2009, the fuel sending unit failed to indicate the amount of fuel in tank. The Dealership installed a new sending unit under warranty.

The only other problem was the failure of the Driver’s Door Module which controls everything with a memory–power door locks, interior lights, trunk lid, driver’s seat. Since the DDM failed, a new one with a factory download, equipment for my car, had to be done by a Dealer. The cost was $535 and was the first service work I paid for. Considering that fact, the cost was ok.

Looking back, I should have purchased a 2007 Navigator 4X4 due to our long trips. But back in 2007, I WANTED A NEW TOWN CAR! In December 2013, I sold my TC with 70,000+ miles, factory brake pads had less than 50% wear and purchased a 2014 Navigator. One thing I can say about the 2007 Designer I owned, it was a great car!

zinctwentyone

The designer model is my favorite for the leather, piping and special rims on it which it seems the one in the picture does not have those designer rims, did you change those? I bet the people that bought your car got a great car as well as that would have been a car that anyone would be happy to own. Do you find the Navigator to be a much better car than the Town car?

Slick Fan

Utah
That's a good looking car! Thanks for the great writeup & photos.
The only option my '03 doesn't have that I wish it did, is fog lights.

Thread starter #5
The designer model is my favorite for the leather, piping and special rims on it which it seems the one in the picture does not have those designer rims, did you change those? I bet the people that bought your car got a great car as well as that would have been a car that anyone would be happy to own. Do you find the Navigator to be a much better car than the Town car?
The rims in the photos were factory installed as this car was built in December 2006--purchased 1/5/07.

Hindsight is always 20/20! I'm from the East Coast, looking back why did I purchase a 96TC instead of a 4X4 for the amount of snow we received? The same question applies to the 2007 TC Designer I purchased in AZ. The Town Car is a great car, lots of room and plenty of storage spaces. PLUS great MPG that just can't be beaten for a car of its size and comfort. My wife likes a smaller car--the MGM! Why did I purchase a Navigator? I like to explore ghost towns and go shooting in the desert. The Town Car is not an off road car and are no longer made :(
I usually keep my cars for 12+ years but I needed a different type of vehicle. I had time to kill so I test drove many and decided on the Navigator 4X4. It's a horse of a different color--built on the F-150 chassis, higher--looks bigger than a TC but somewhat smaller. In many ways, it's better than a TC BUT in some ways not as good. It gets about 1/2 the MPG but my wife has the MGM economy car getting 27 MPG. On the open roads we have in AZ, I'll get around 20 MPG on highways. Interior storage room--not much--that's why I got rear captain chairs with center console. Interior lighting is poor! I replaced all with LEDs and added LED strip lighting under the dashboard. I added a full size spare tire to my TC due to remote driving. The Navigator's full size spare is under the vehicle. I added a long dually truck air hose so that I could check tire pressure without dropping the tire. Due to remote locations, I carry a good air compressor and tire repair kit as I don't like changing tires on dirt. That equipment is in the rear center console--lack of storage room. The 07TC had HID low beam headlights, the Navigator has low & high beam HIDs.

To be 100% honest, you can't replace a TC :(. So I looked until I found a suitable replacement. Due to my age, I plan to keep our vehicles no longer than 4 - 6 years. I've rebuilt vehicles and have hit over 287K miles without a breakdown! Within the next year or so, my wife will replace her 08 MGM. That will be hard but there are some great RWD vehicles out there. Or she might lease a MKZ Hybrid to make up for my thirty Navigator.

Here's a vehicle selling tip: For fun I wanted to experience how a Ford Dealer Salesperson would screw you on a trade in. I used the 07 TC Designer as a test subject. I was offered a $7,500 trade in--I wanted $10,000 + sales tax credit on trade in. BUT the written breakdown on a 2014 Ford Expedition reveal that $7,500 was really $3,000! I sold the 07TC on eBay within 5 days getting over $12,000. TIP: I listed the car with ALL of the service and maintenance records that was done on this "turn key" car. It needed nothing but a new owner.

zinctwentyone

The rims in the photos were factory installed as this car was built in December 2006--purchased 1/5/07.

Hindsight is always 20/20! I'm from the East Coast, looking back why did I purchase a 96TC instead of a 4X4 for the amount of snow we received? The same question applies to the 2007 TC Designer I purchased in AZ. The Town Car is a great car, lots of room and plenty of storage spaces. PLUS great MPG that just can't be beaten for a car of its size and comfort. My wife likes a smaller car--the MGM! Why did I purchase a Navigator? I like to explore ghost towns and go shooting in the desert. The Town Car is not an off road car and are no longer made :(
I usually keep my cars for 12+ years but I needed a different type of vehicle. I had time to kill so I test drove many and decided on the Navigator 4X4. It's a horse of a different color--built on the F-150 chassis, higher--looks bigger than a TC but somewhat smaller. In many ways, it's better than a TC BUT in some ways not as good. It gets about 1/2 the MPG but my wife has the MGM economy car getting 27 MPG. On the open roads we have in AZ, I'll get around 20 MPG on highways. Interior storage room--not much--that's why I got rear captain chairs with center console. Interior lighting is poor! I replaced all with LEDs and added LED strip lighting under the dashboard. I added a full size spare tire to my TC due to remote driving. The Navigator's full size spare is under the vehicle. I added a long dually truck air hose so that I could check tire pressure without dropping the tire. Due to remote locations, I carry a good air compressor and tire repair kit as I don't like changing tires on dirt. That equipment is in the rear center console--lack of storage room. The 07TC had HID low beam headlights, the Navigator has low & high beam HIDs.

To be 100% honest, you can't replace a TC :(. So I looked until I found a suitable replacement. Due to my age, I plan to keep our vehicles no longer than 4 - 6 years. I've rebuilt vehicles and have hit over 287K miles without a breakdown! Within the next year or so, my wife will replace her 08 MGM. That will be hard but there are some great RWD vehicles out there. Or she might lease a MKZ Hybrid to make up for my thirty Navigator.

Here's a vehicle selling tip: For fun I wanted to experience how a Ford Dealer Salesperson would screw you on a trade in. I used the 07 TC Designer as a test subject. I was offered a $7,500 trade in--I wanted $10,000 + sales tax credit on trade in. BUT the written breakdown on a 2014 Ford Expedition reveal that $7,500 was really $3,000! I sold the 07TC on eBay within 5 days getting over $12,000. TIP: I listed the car with ALL of the service and maintenance records that was done on this "turn key" car. It needed nothing but a new owner.
Huge difference from the dealer trade, so all you ended up losing was the 6 or 7% tax credit of the trade value, only about 500.00 anyway. Definitely not a good move trading cars to the dealer, it is the lazy way out in my opinion. I have had friends tell me that CarMax buy cars decent outright, but personally I have never had a car I couldn't sell with a simple ad and patience, usually 30 days and much more money, well worth the extra work.

I recently sold our DTS 180k miles and massive oil leakage and we were looking at either a Navigator or Aviator around an 05 model at very good prices. However through my research, I am finding that those engines I think 5.4 liter are blowing much sooner or having major issues much sooner than town cars so it raised concern and we are still researching a good second car to buy. My wife loves the DTS so she is leaning towards me picking another one with less mileage and no oil leakage which is near impossible on the Northstar engines. I like the look of the nav and the aviator. Any advice on those engines?

Thread starter #7
I believe FoMoCo fixed the issue with the engines on the Navigator some years ago. I think you're referring to the spark plugs being blown out. Seems the issue was the reduced amounts of threads in the spark plug hole. Mine will be sold before the warranty runs out. At that time, I would consider a new one dependent upon vehicle weight and drive train. The 2015 is almost the same as mine but with the V-6 which has issues around 50,000 miles.

On the downside with ALL newer cars, they are packed with electronics that can only be programmed by the Dealer or someone who has a subscription to FoMoCo main frame--costly for most shops. My 2007 TC's DDM failed and used replacements could not be reprogrammed. Some members here--without current practical experience--claim that is wrong. I listed the Pages of the Shop Manual that clears states that issue. In the end, it cost me $535 for DDM replacement. My opinion: New vehicles are like a new computer or iPhone. How long before replacement is required?
I would avoid the Northstar engine due to many problems. Maybe your best bet is to lease a new car for 2 to 3 years, then walk away into a new one. This might be costly but considering older cars could also be costly due to dealer required repairs. I also do not like FWD vehicles due to costly maintenance as they age. The drive boots end up cracking and fail causing U joint failure--very costly vs. RWD U joint replacement. If you lease or buy new, the warranty should cover it. Good luck in your hunt for a replacement vehicle.

Last edited:
I was so glad to hear Ford Lincoln came out with the new Continental as have outstanding design. I can't say enough about this car, it is more than I ever expected. I have always been a Ford lover all my life.

I might also say the dealership sales people were great to work with, very courteous, good experience.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

HTML