2007 Town Car Brake Light Switch Issue

CWHusker

Hey! I haven't made any progress on that and it has sort of gone to the back burner. The only thing I've seen as a "solution" is someone taped the switch in a way to prevent it from backing off enough to disengage while braking. I wasn't about taping something on my brake pedal so I sort of ignored that. It's on an F-150, but it is useful to show how the switch works compared to most cars that I'm aware of. Here's the link...https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ivomx5QeUvE

crownvicjosh

Thanks for the reply! It's strange how this switch works. Seems like the guy in the video's issue was different; he had to push hard to get the lights to activate. At the end, it's tough to tell, but it seems like they still click off when slightly released.
After further research it's the same part number for fixed pedals, so I'm not convinced anymore that this issue is specific to adjustable pedals. It appears the switch is designed to click off when pressure is released, i.e. slightly lifting your foot off the pedal. Either it's "normal" for this type of switch to act this way (I doubt it since it's a safety hazard), or going back to your original thought, maybe it's a booster issue; not pushing back hard enough. Booster rod adjustment perhaps? The only thing is that my brake pedal feels like it already has decent pressure. 🤷‍♂️

CWHusker

Yeah, it's silly and I basically just came to the conclusion that it's just how they work. The booster isn't adjustable to my knowledge. At least not that I can see in person. I can look at the workshop manual at home later. Something similar to his idea would probably work. Basically affix the switch to the pedal arm to keep it from rotating on it's mount. Honestly, I don't really want to mess with it any more haha. I have just had to slightly adapt my driving style to try to keep the lights lit as much as possible and I'm pretty much used to it now. No one else seems to really care and I'm on my way to being in that camp haha.

crownvicjosh

I think I might join you with being in that camp! Just something that we'll have to live with. If I get bored one day and fiddle around with some tape and zip-ties down there, I'll keep ya posted!

HTML