• Hint: Use a descriptive title for your new message
    If you're looking for help and want to draw people in who can assist you, use a descriptive subject title when posting your message. In other words, "1998 Town Car" isn't going to indicate to anybody that you need help. However, "Need help with my 1998 Town Car" will. Be as descriptive as you can. Please use common sense... This message can be closed by clicking the X in the top right corner.

2007 TC transmission flush

Dcuste

I was assured by the Valvoline help guy that their merc LV synthetic would be great in my 135,000 mi 07 TC. I did a 12 quart flush and filter change. There were no issues with the Trans prior to the work, but now it is hesitant to go into Drive and Reverse. It seems good otherwise. I'm a little dubious of the fluid level because one side of the stick come out completely dry and the other side is wet on the stick but not solid wet above the full hole. I did try lowering the level down to the lower hole when cold, but the issue was worse at that level so I added 1 pint. Now I'm not sure.

One other thing. This piston was loose in the bottom of the pan. I looked at a diagram and couldn't find any part that looks like this used on this transmission. I don't know the history of the car.

Attachments

Brian J. Patterson

Northern Illinois
I was assured by the Valvoline help guy that their merc LV synthetic would be great in my 135,000 mi 07 TC. I did a 12 quart flush and filter change. There were no issues with the Trans prior to the work, but now it is hesitant to go into Drive and Reverse. It seems good otherwise. I'm a little dubious of the fluid level because one side of the stick come out completely dry and the other side is wet on the stick but not solid wet above the full hole. I did try lowering the level down to the lower hole when cold, but the issue was worse at that level so I added 1 pint. Now I'm not sure.

One other thing. This piston was loose in the bottom of the pan. I looked at a diagram and couldn't find any part that looks like this used on this transmission. I don't know the history of the car.
Hi, Dcuste.

Hopefully, that was just a "bonus part," I.E. something "loose" from elsewhere that just happened to land in your trans fluid pan the last time it was opened. While not nice, it's not unheard of, especially if you were the first one to remove the trans fluid pan since the car left the factory. If not, one of the more knowledgeable "lurkers" should reply with what it is and were it came from, if it actually was supposed to be in the transmission in the first place.

Double-check, and if need be, triple-check that you used the correct fluid for your 2007 Lincoln Town Car. If you used the "wrong" fluid, the fluid won't behave correctly with the clutch packs, bands, etc inside the transmission. If you somehow managed to get the wrong fluid, change it at least twice right now with the right fluid. A rebuilt transmission can cost $1500, plus another $100-$200 for the torque converter. If you run the "wrong" fluid long enough to mess up the clutch packs and/or bands in the transmission, you will be replacing both.

For checking the fluid level, remember these ocasionally overlooked tips. First, get the transmission up to operating temperature. This will involve driving and not idling, but should take only about ten minutes or so of normal driving. If the engine is up to normal temperature from driving and not idling, the transmission should be, too.

Shift from Park to each gear range including reverse, pausing a second or so in each selection, and shift back to park. This ensures that the transmission has taken up all the fluid it should, leaving only the reserve you are checking in the pan.

Remove the transmission dipstick, wipe it clean, seat it fully, and wait a second or so. Remove the dipstick again, and check both sides. Both sides should be uniformly "wet." If not, the side with the least wetness is the actual level, where the dipstick is completely wet and not just at the edges where splash-up from the dipstick tube got on the dipstick.

Add (or remove, but from the sound of things not likely) fluid to get the level between the add and full marks. The quantity listed on the dipstick for the distance between "add" and "full" is the correct quantity, and can act as a guide on how much fluid to add.

Good luck.

04TC

Tampa, FL
Double-check, and if need be, triple-check that you used the correct fluid for your 2007 Lincoln Town Car. If you used the "wrong" fluid, the fluid won't behave correctly with the clutch packs, bands, etc inside the transmission. If you somehow managed to get the wrong fluid, change it at least twice right now with the right fluid. A rebuilt transmission can cost $1500, plus another $100-$200 for the torque converter. If you run the "wrong" fluid long enough to mess up the clutch packs and/or bands in the transmission, you will be replacing both.
^^what he said.

I know that my 2004 takes only Mercon V, and that Mercon LV is in fact NOT compatible with Mercon V. The later model years of the Town Car had basically the same transmission with a few minor modifications, up until they stopped building them, so I would be surprised if Mercon V is not the recommended fluid for your 2007. If you have the 2007 owner's manual it should provide you with the correct fluid type.

Brian J. Patterson

Northern Illinois
Hi again, Dcuste.

Change your transmission fluid yesterday! As @04TC pointed out, and as I confirmed with an independent search, Mercon V and Mercon LV are not the same. Mercon LV has a lower viscosity when compared to Mercon V, and will not protect the bearings and bushings of your transmission, since it was designed for the heavier viscosity Mercon V.

Synthetic automatic transmission fluid is better than conventional, but only if it is the correct viscosity as well as having the correct conditioners to be compatible with your clutch packs and bands. There are synthetic Mercon V fluids out there if you want a full-synthetic fluid.

Good luck.

dave42

Leander, TX C.K.U.
I've read a number of times of some sort of plug (but not sure if the same as what you found) being found in the transmission pan the first time it is removed. Don't recall at the moment what it was there for, but normal.

I ordered a Dorman replacement pan with a drain plug to make it easier and more convenient to do fluid changes between filter changes. Easier means more likely I'll do it! Pretty reasonable, around $35.

Brian J. Patterson

Northern Illinois
Hi, dave42.

That is an assembly plug that is installed in place of the dipstick tube. When the dipstick in installed, the assembly plug is knocked down into the transmission pan, where it sits harmlessly until the first transmission fluid change.

An "end user" will see this plug only if both of the following are true:
A. They change their own transmission fluid.
B. They are the first one to have the fluid changed.

I've only seen one of those plugs twice. In both cases (both well pre-internet,) I sat the plug aside, had no malfunctions with the transmissions in question, and threw it away.

Apparently Ford F-150 drivers change their own automatic transmission fluid much more frequently than do owners of Lincoln Town Cars. On a forum similar to this one for Ford F-150 owners, "the plug" comes up so frequently that they are making it a "sticky" thread.

Go figure.

MachMarcus

East Tennessee

The plug that you found in the transmission pan is the plug that is installed by the transmission manufacturer for transport to the Ford factory line. When the dipstick is installed, it pushes the plug out of the way and stays in the pan until someone changes the fluid and/or filter. If it was still in there, chances are that the fluid and filter have not been changed. That is probably more of your issue with the transmission than the fluid.

I have a 2003 TC that I purchased March 2018 with 55,000 miles. Because I knew that car had sat for about the last several years, I changed all fluids (brake, power steering, rear differential, coolant, oil and transmission). On the transmission, I pulled the pan, replaced the filter and refilled with Valvoline Maxlife MaxLife™ Multi-Vehicle ATF : Product Catalog - Valvoline™ . I also replaced the original Ford transmission pan with this one, Advance Auto Parts - Down for Maintenance as it has a drain plug. I then filled the transmission, ran the car and repeated four times. On the last time, I also added https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002MB57UI/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 . Since that time, I have completed a drain and fill (approximately 4 quarts each time) every other oil change with the Lubeguard added every third time. Transmission shifts great even now with 125,000 miles on it.

I would tell you that the fluid is probably not the issue with your transmission currently. Ford recommends a something like a 30-50,000 mile interval on the transmission fluid.

tunafisher729

The plug as previously stated is found during the cars first pan drop. I know Ford/Lincoln introduced Mercon LV in 2007. What is specified for the 2007 TC, Mercon V or Mercon LV? Is it possible you specked out the wrong fluid type?

Brian J. Patterson

Northern Illinois
The plug as previously stated is found during the cars first pan drop. I know Ford/Lincoln introduced Mercon LV in 2007. What is specified for the 2007 TC, Mercon V or Mercon LV? Is it possible you specked out the wrong fluid type?
Hi, tunafisher729, Dcuste, and all.

I downloaded the current owner's manual for the 2007 Lincoln Town Car from Lincoln. This owners manual was presumably created after the introduction of Mercon LV transmission fluid.

According to that manual, the car was built with the 4R75E Transmission built in either Sharonville (Safety Compliance Certificate Sticker Code H) or Livonia (Code U.) In both cases, only Mercon V is specified. Mercon LV is not recommended for this transmission in this vehicle.

Good luck.

RIBoater

I have a 2001 F150 and a 2005 explorer since new, now also an 05 TC. I also have a 2000 BMW 750il V12, the most challenging vehicle to work on in my decades of years as a DIY guy. That's for a whole other forum....
As already stated the plug is from the factory. The first one to drop the pan sees it and can toss it. If you are dropping the pan for the first time to also change the filter, not a bad idea to get a pan with a drain plug or install one. But for subsequent fluid changes, you could change the filter every other time as it's really only the first one that has all the original break in debris. I swap out about a gallon of trans fluid every time I do an oil change. Only adds 15 min. to the job and it's very easy. I simply undo the return line from the radiator and place it in a gallon milk jug. Run the engine for 30 seconds and it will pump out about a gallon. Carefully take a measurement of what came out and put that amount back in. For the nay sayers, this does not run your pump dry, or hurt the tranny. You're doing this in neutral and there is a lot more than a gallon of fluid in the system. I also do this when I am going to drop the pan because now the pan is nearly empty. Makes much less of a mess. I have even done a full fluid swap using this method many times. One gallon at a time. This method I refer to as a full "swap" rather than a flush for those that have heard a flush can damage a transmission, this is false. The transmission was already neglected and damaged. The flush simply is the result not the cause. I can elaborate on this if interested.
As for the Valvoline Maxlife LV, it IS compatible with Merc V. Between the two older vehicles and now in my TC, I've got over 100k trouble free miles on the trannies. The reason you don't see it say on the bottle that it is Merc V compatible (it did originally) is because of some stupid CA law regarding compatibility. Something along the lines of it being better, but doesn't "match" original specs, so they aren't allowed to say compatible. If you go to the Valvoline web site and read up on it, it says just as much, and I even called to speak with tech support, basically they aren't going to make and print one bottle for CA and another for the rest of the world.

1585402884710.png

Last edited:

BUXTER

Proper Ford Motorcraft Auto Trans Fluid chart attached in PDF for definitive Gospel on LV vice Merc V in Ford Trans - CLEARLY looks like MERC V to me in a 2007, ETC. TC ~!

- This Chart SUPERSEDES many Owner Manuals so there are several cars here that specified the old Mercon in the Owners Manual (so not Mercon V) that are now specified to use Mercon V.

Yes indeed finding that Plug usually means Pan was never dropped & Trans Filter was never changed & Magnet never cleaned in 135K miles... it may have gotten the perfunctory "Flush"... thats NOT good enuff.

Good news is that OFTEN this problem right AFTER a fluid change is a "poor" Tech failed to remove old Filter Gasket fm Main Valve Body & installed new Trans Filter with 2 Gaskets... Filter falls off & now ITS laying in the Pan & PUMP is starving for Fluid - DO NOT start this car until u get under there & drop Tranny Pan to check for this~! - Jack it way up & get some GOOD Jack Stands under Frame or even Car Ramps under Front wheels & chock the rear wheels - Failing that have it towed on a Flat Back rig.

Bad news is u may have killed Pump already, u definitely have done it any good...

Yes fluid level can be hard to define once u add Fluid & slime up the Filler Tube - Best reading is BEFORE u add any Fluid.

- FYI typical Pan drop & filter change on 4r70w & 4r75w is 4.5 Qts.

Attachments

Last edited:

HTML