2007 TC Radio replacement Write Up

autoseals

When I first joined there seemed to be a lack of information on replacing the radio with an aftermarket head unit. I replaced the radios in my truck and SUV and it makes the car like new again with the latest and greatest technology. This write up should cover years 2003-2011.

Radio
I was going to install a Pioneer avh-w4400nex but after my wife's SUV got totaled this month I pulled her AVH-4200NEX out before releasing the car. The 4200NEX allows my phone to be connected by a USB cable and then controlled by the head unit. Apps like Waze, Google Maps, Pandora, Cast Box, Sirus XM all work on the screen using Android Auto or Apple Car play. It also provides hands free calling either by the cable or Bluetooth. In October, Pioneer runs a $150 rebate and you can get the 4200 or 4400 for around 300-350. It allows for two cameras, Front and Rear. I have the backup sensor so for now I am not going to bother installing one.
Pioneer AVH-4200NEX

Steering Wheel Controls
If you want to retain the volume and next button on the steering wheel you need the adapter by Metra (Metra Axxess ASWC-1 Universal Steering Wheel Control Interface). Install is pretty simple as it just plugs into the new radio with a headphone like jack, power, ground wires are connected to radio harness. Back of stock radio plug is a grey/red wire, you vampire tap into it for the steering wheel controls.

Wiring
If you have a stock 4 speaker system you only need Metra part number 70-5520. If you have a premium sound system with the stock woofer and amp, you will need 70-5521 (includes 70-5520 and 70-5522). 70-5522 provides the wiring to connect with the existing amp and sub if you want to continue using them. Otherwise, the sub will not work.

For premium systems, the amp only uses 5v, but aftermarket head units send a 12v signal. If hooked up directly a loud pop may occur when the radio is turned on. In order to prevent this, Metra has a step down component, AFDI-5V.

There is no wiring information for the amp wire with kit 70-5522. My wiring was as follows:
From new radio harness, the blue wire w/ white strip connected to step down plug, AFDI-5V, with blue with white wire. From AFDI-5V, the Blue with Red strip connected to both blue with white leads on the amp harness (70-5522) and connected to the blue wire on the 70-5520 harness.

Antenna
When I went to install the new radio, the plug for the antenna was opposite of the factory radio. Metra 44-EC12 is perfect for the extra length.

Dash Kit
You will need Metra# 95-5810 to mount your new radio to the dash space.

Radio Removal

In the tech area, Town has posted the instructions for removing the radio.

Town Car Radio head unit removal and replacement

I also referenced a video on YouTube. Radio Removal Video

20181221_161720.jpg

Attachments

Last edited:

don-ohio

I'd take the thing back,get my money, and pay a pro to install my choice of units. That's just me. I'd get no pleasure out of fighting an installation.

autoseals

Nice write up autoseals.
Did you originally have the 4 speaker system or the premium with sub woofer and amp?
I had the premium with the sub woofer and amp. I just finished installing new speakers as well.

autoseals

I'd take the thing back,get my money, and pay a pro to install my choice of units. That's just me. I'd get no pleasure out of fighting an installation.
I've done enough radio installs in my vehicles that it really wasn't too much of a challenge. Some things I like to hire people to so and others I prefer to do myself.

HTML