2007 Navigator 4wd, rear left side air shock does not inflate

taqi

Hi all, my first post here, i will really appreciate if you guys could please help out.
My Navigator is having and issue with left rear air shock.
Its not inflating.
This started about 3 weeks ago, when i came back from a short trip and parked it, only left side went down, so i decided to check for leaks with soap and water, but found none, the compressor works because when i make a short trip i can see the height difference before i park, as soon as i park left side goes down upon closing the doors.
It looks like only right side air bag inflate to keep truck in driving height which basically lift the left air shock and when i park, truck goes to parking height making left side all the way down.

So far i have changed the left side height sensor with OEM, drove the truck no effect.
I thought the sensor might be bad, to check i took off right side height sensor and plugged the new left height sensor there and manually moved the lever to see if right side shock goes up, and it did went up.

My understanding is left side is not getting any signal to fill the air shock.
Are there separate systems for each side or only one to control both sides? i mean fuses relays stuff?

want to know if you guys experience something like that?
i searched but only found problems with both rear sides sagging.

Would really appreciate if you guys could please help out.
Thank you

07navi

I hate to change the subject but did the "07 come with airbags in the rear or were they an option?

jasontorian

Hi all, my first post here, i will really appreciate if you guys could please help out.
Its not inflating.
This started about 3 weeks ago, when i came back from a short trip and parked it, only left side went down, so i decided to check for leaks with soap and water, but found none, the compressor works because when i make a short trip i can see the height difference before i park, as soon as i park left side goes down upon closing the doors.
It looks like only right side air bag inflate to keep truck in driving height which basically lift the left air shock and when i park, truck goes to parking height making left side all the way down.

So far i have changed the left side height sensor with OEM, drove the truck no effect.
I thought the sensor might be bad, to check i took off right side height sensor and plugged the new left height sensor there and manually moved the lever to see if right side shock goes up, and it did went up.

My understanding is left side is not getting any signal to fill the air shock.
Are there separate systems for each side or only one to control both sides? i mean fuses relays stuff?

Thank you
perhaps a solenoid....I i am having similar problems...throwing any codes or warning?

jasontorian

Its not inflating.

My understanding is left side is not getting any signal to fill the air shock.....w

Thank you
perhaps a solinoid...i am having similar post...i will watch yours may be i get to the answer

taqi

perhaps a solenoid....I i am having similar problems...throwing any codes or warning?

I was planning on trying and swapping solenoid, not sure if its safe to remove it from the right side air shock since its all inflated, maybe i can try to deflate it. no codes yet.

jasontorian

um i twisted my out while it was jacked ..the air drains out.....now.....getting the solenoid back in was a BYATCH...if you are replacing the o rings just not enough clearance.... This is with a new shock/air blatter

07navi

Were the airbags stock or an option in 2007 ?

jasontorian

mine were stock......but i cant speak on the lower trim levels...mine was/is pretty loaded for the model year. even tho the nav is a nice truck period...theres still levels with in

07navi

mine were stock......but i cant speak on the lower trim levels...mine was/is pretty loaded for the model year. even tho the nav is a nice truck period...theres still levels with in
Were they only in the rear? I think the earlier ones had them all around.

taqi

um i twisted my out while it was jacked ..the air drains out.....now.....getting the solenoid back in was a BYATCH...if you are replacing the o rings just not enough clearance.... This is with a new shock/air blatter

thank you for the update, i saw one guy on you tube took out the solenoid when he was converting his air suspension to manual shocks, but i guess you are right putting em back must be hard. So your system works now? i mean was solenoid the culprit?
Please advise

jasontorian

no...not at the moment....about to flat bed it to ford dealer....i paid for and inspection and they pointed at the shock mounts...i changed them ...still down...so i feel they need to look again at no cost to point at the real problem....all clean and dressed with nowhere to go.......

Attachments

• navdownlow.jpg
    navdownlow.jpg
    209.5 KB · Views: 5

taqi

no...not at the moment....about to flat bed it to ford dealer....i paid for and inspection and they pointed at the shock mounts...i changed them ...still down...so i feel they need to look again at no cost to point at the real problem....all clean and dressed with nowhere to go.......

shock mounts doesn't sound right, both sides are down for you? or just the right as shown in picture?

jasontorian

he had no further need for the solenoid when he converted...but i bet he zip tied them out of the way in case he ever changed his mind and wanted to go back. putting back the same solenoid ...probably not AS bad cause its already broke in...if you have new o rings it made the fir tight. you may need to drop the shock to get clearance

jasontorian

shock mounts doesn't sound right, both sides are down for you? or just the right as shown in picture?
see......jason tried to be cheap...and change the bags only.....but he destroyed the shock trying separate the bag from the rusted shock mount bolt (another part)..... while destroying the shock I damaged the shock mount rubber seals ....... which hypothesized might be the problem.....i threw it out their as a frustrated hail mary and I think he took the ez way out and agreed....but we're both wrong....frustrated because since quarantine cause I have repaired like 15 issues ...this is 3rd to last....im sure ill need alignment and im getting tpms sensor fail......... but those are not show stoppers think i'm showing 225K on odo. There's rust in the 1/4's but no point in working on cosmetics when it wont run.....tho I'm not going to throw alot at that.....just a patch job.....

taqi

see......jason tried to be cheap...and change the bags only.....but he destroyed the shock trying separate the bag from the rusted shock mount bolt (another part)..... while destroying the shock I damaged the shock mount rubber seals ....... which hypothesized might be the problem.....i threw it out their as a frustrated hail mary and I think he took the ez way out and agreed....but we're both wrong....frustrated because since quarantine cause I have repaired like 15 issues ...this is 3rd to last....im sure ill need alignment and im getting tpms sensor fail......... but those are not show stoppers think i'm showing 225K on odo. There's rust in the 1/4's but no point in working on cosmetics when it wont run.....tho I'm not going to throw alot at that.....just a patch job.....

we all try our best to trouble shoot a problem and sometimes it doesn't turn out the way we want, but that doesn't mean we should not try it, i am glad you did what you have to do, atleast you tried your best. Rest i hope your dealer give you an honest diagnosis and things work out, your truck looks to be in good shape.

Mine is shot on one side, not all the way down just sits about 3-4 inch above tire, and when i ran the truck it looks like right side goes up about a couple inch, i guess to stay in running height which brings my left side up a little but when i park, right side comes to parking height means a couple inch down which brings my left side more down, so i thing left side airshock is not inflating, probably height sensor or solenoid, did changed height sensor with no luck, i guess will swamp solenoid and see how it goes.

Wish you luck, do let us know if you get an update.

Attachments

• s-l1600 (1).jpg
    s-l1600 (1).jpg
    203.1 KB · Views: 3
  • s-l1600 (3).jpg
    s-l1600 (3).jpg
    411.9 KB · Views: 3
  • s-l1600 (4).jpg
    s-l1600 (4).jpg
    249.5 KB · Views: 3
  • s-l1600 (5).jpg
    s-l1600 (5).jpg
    373.9 KB · Views: 3
  • s-l1600.jpg
    s-l1600.jpg
    453.9 KB · Views: 3

jasontorian

mine started the same way just opposite sides...i presumed tat one shock was done and the ls was doing all the work...i could hear a hollow thump on the r/s rear...so I said to my self if you change one...change both... it use dto kind lean to the side when parked and the camber looked off.....so ill let you know what i find

G-867670

mine started the same way just opposite sides...i presumed tat one shock was done and the ls was doing all the work...i could hear a hollow thump on the r/s rear...so I said to my self if you change one...change both... it use dto kind lean to the side when parked and the camber looked off.....so ill let you know what i find

sure will wait for your reply