2006 Towncar hum or whirrrrr

Thread starter #1

itztim

My o6 TC has a distinct hum coming from (I think) the rear but my hearing isn't great when it comes to directional. It happens over say 30 mph . Interestingly, if you veer right it goes away and if you veer left it intensifies. It is also worse when you accelerate and reduces when you coast. Any ideas ?

Town

Ottawa Ontario Canada
My o6 TC has a distinct hum coming from (I think) the rear but my hearing isn't great when it comes to directional. It happens over say 30 mph . Interestingly, if you veer right it goes away and if you veer left it intensifies. It is also worse when you accelerate and reduces when you coast. Any ideas ?
Those symptoms are the tests for wheel bearing problems. Likely the right rear has failed in your case.

The bearing uses the axle shaft as the inner race so you may want to check it out since a groove in the axle is bad news. There are special repair bearings that may help if it is only pitting. Have you noticed any oil near the right rear brake from the oil seal? If the bearing is worn a lot then the motion will not be round and will take out the seal.

Would you DIY the diagnosis/repair or get a shop to do it? I can probably get a procedure for your 2006 model.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

HTML