• Hint: Use a descriptive title for your new message
    If you're looking for help and want to draw people in who can assist you, use a descriptive subject title when posting your message. In other words, "1998 Town Car" isn't going to indicate to anybody that you need help. However, "Need help with my 1998 Town Car" will. Be as descriptive as you can. Please use common sense... This message can be closed by clicking the X in the top right corner.

2006 Towncar hum or whirrrrr

itztim

My o6 TC has a distinct hum coming from (I think) the rear but my hearing isn't great when it comes to directional. It happens over say 30 mph . Interestingly, if you veer right it goes away and if you veer left it intensifies. It is also worse when you accelerate and reduces when you coast. Any ideas ?

Town

Ottawa Ontario Canada
My o6 TC has a distinct hum coming from (I think) the rear but my hearing isn't great when it comes to directional. It happens over say 30 mph . Interestingly, if you veer right it goes away and if you veer left it intensifies. It is also worse when you accelerate and reduces when you coast. Any ideas ?
Those symptoms are the tests for wheel bearing problems. Likely the right rear has failed in your case.

The bearing uses the axle shaft as the inner race so you may want to check it out since a groove in the axle is bad news. There are special repair bearings that may help if it is only pitting. Have you noticed any oil near the right rear brake from the oil seal? If the bearing is worn a lot then the motion will not be round and will take out the seal.

Would you DIY the diagnosis/repair or get a shop to do it? I can probably get a procedure for your 2006 model.

itztim

Thanks Town....its on its way to my Mech today.

itztim

It was the following:

both axle bearings and a new right axle
carrier bearings
pinion bearings

along with various and sundry seals and fluids....

ding, ding, ding....prize goes to "Town"

HTML