2006 Town Car Pre-Purchase Checklist

Welcome to the busiest full-spectrum Lincoln community online!

Please join us! We'd really love to have you as a member...

HighwayStar

Planning on going to see an 06' Town Car this weekend.
Model is Signature L, 115k miles.
Owner says that he bought it from an older man that took it to the dealership, and that the car fax is clean and has 70 service entries. I will of course be verifying that when I look at it.
Owner has also done some of the 100k mile items, including spark plugs, coils, transmission fluid, coolant, and a few other things.

My primary concerns are the following.
Intake Manifold-Do these fail as often on the 2006 as they did on earlier models?
Water Leaks-This one does not have a sunroof thankfully, but still need to check the floors, etc. for any issues there.
Blend Door Actuators-My understanding is the 2006 does not require dash removal to change these which is a plus, but I will still want to run the self test.
Rust-Should be relatively rust free being a southern car but due diligence check.

Of course I will also be looking at the hoses, belts, fluids, etc.

Anything I am missing, or any thoughts on how/what to check on some of the more well known faults?

dave42

Leander, TX C.K.U.
You didn't mention air springs. At that age they are probably leaking if original. Kind of hard to determine that when just looking the car over. If you can get to it before it has been started up for the day then you might be able to see any sag, or might hear the compressor come on when driving. Also, check if the adjustable pedals move more the full 2" travel, since the worm gear is broken on many of these. Check every switch on every door, and check if the illumination works in each switch. Hard to tell in daylight. Check the date code on the tires. Check all the radio functions. Bring a CD (and cassette if '06 still has that) with you. All these things could be a bargaining points. Good luck! :)

Ballyhoo

Two things going in your favor. Lincoln is a top of the line manufacturer for quality, reliability and ease of maintenance. There are literally thousands still on the road with 300,000 plus miles on the clock. Cadillac can't say the same. Second, it's not generally a young man's vehicle driven hard and neglected. Therefor, the older individuals usually opt for servicing rather than doing it themselves. So if it looks clean you're good to go.

HighwayStar

Does anyone know what the cost of a replacement job on the air suspension (with another set of air shocks of course) would run? Wan't to know what to knock off in the bargining.

oktowncar

Were they new parts for that? Any specialized tools involved?
They were new in the box, albeit a china part, but they are working perfectly with no issues.
The only "specialized tool" I had to use was a small open-end wrench to go around the airline on the solenoids to help press down on the release to get the airline to come free and separate.

Removing/installing the hold-down clip on the top of the bags can be a little difficult, space is tight but just take your time.
Before you install the bags be sure to replace the orings on the solenoids and lube them with a little vaseline or similar lubricant

There are plenty of Youtube videos on airbag replacement to help guide you

Hound Dog

Arnott have a great reputation for replacement air springs on Panther cars. Check out crownvic.net and you can find plenty of info on how to do it.

oktowncar

Arnott have a great reputation for replacement air springs on Panther cars. Check out crownvic.net and you can find plenty of info on how to do it.
The previous set I installed was Arnott and they lasted 5 years.
I priced out the Arnott and they went up so I opted for the cheaper bags this time. The fit and finish quality on the china bags looks good and they have provided zero issues so far.
We'll see if I can get 5 years or more out of this set (y)

HighwayStar

They were new in the box, albeit a china part, but they are working perfectly with no issues.
The only "specialized tool" I had to use was a small open-end wrench to go around the airline on the solenoids to help press down on the release to get the airline to come free and separate.

Removing/installing the hold-down clip on the top of the bags can be a little difficult, space is tight but just take your time.
Before you install the bags be sure to replace the orings on the solenoids and lube them with a little vaseline or similar lubricant

Much of what I am seeing involves using a lift, did you do yours that way or with a jack?

Jaskim06

Good luck with the scouting expedition! I’d love to snag an L, but frankly they scare me a bit. With things like rear heated seats, rear seat stereo and A/C controls, front passenger seat adjustment, etc. they’re going to have unique control modules that will likely be virtually impossible to replace.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

My 2003 Cartier
You're correct. Never really thought about that.

Jaskim06

I got a set off eBay for $56 with a couple hours labor when I did mine. If you go to Ford they'll want northward of $1700
Yep depends on what brand, is it kit or just bags, or bags and O rings and lines and selinoids. I've been fond of Firestone. We run those on semi and trailers and have have great luck with protecting them with 303. Can't stress enough spray, wipe whatever with something that protects rubber and lasts. Mineral oil, Vaseline, 303. Tires, wipers interior. Mines a 07 designer. Have documentation since new. Up until when I got it. Only issues on my paperwork was blend doors, bags and steering components. My sunroof failed to open one day and it was the lift arms was cracked and broke. Plastic gets brittle in 14 years of Pa winters, and summers. So had to fix that. It was $40 on ebay. There's alot of cheap kits. Get made in USA. Idr who mine was through I'll have to look. Everything else is fine and I've had for 1 year now. Love it. Wouldn't take any free auto of my choosing for it. Maybe a 2010 TC. I just want one of the last ones. I also have a 99 Cartier. Only walked once cause the stater Selanoid positive cable rotted off from all the damn salt. 253k miles. Over heated, lost freeze plug and got hot. Still runs great. Let cool off and drove as long as I could until it shut down 4 pistons and add water and wait and got home. I'd bet that it'd run and drive for atleast 15 miles with low fluids all around. I wish I only got one sooner than 9 years ago. Too cool for a grandpa car in 20s. More like too dumb to realize why I work on cars but never see those broken. Hmmm.

Jaskim06

Use a long L shaped pocket and it'll rip those rusted stubborn hold down springs right out. Or a long set of x joint needle nose. I saved a beefy coat hanger that's almost quarter inch diameter. Had to put in vise to bend it. I hang it on wall and use it often for jobs like that. Alot of those type clips on autos and Semi trucks/trailers.

Jaskim06

I will check my service paperwork to see if I forgot anything. I called them up and asked them and they blacked out the previous owners name and emailed me history from delivery in 07 till last year and all that was done. No big repairs. Always used Motorcraft parts and filters. I know alot of ppl use Dorman and the local auto store duaralast parts and that's fine. If you got a work vehicle or a beater no point in getting factory stuff but after 25 yrs almost I can tell you that using factory parts may cost more but they fail less and last longer. Idk about now with how things are well see but it's worth a few more dollars if you want good quality and less headaches and more savings. China rips off Ford stuff too. I've seen, heard and had a good bit of knock off ford genuine parts too. Always have good luck with Rock Auto. You see what brand your getting. Sometimes you can upgrade for a few bucks or stay with Motorcraft at good prices. Another great thing about Panthers.