2006 Navigator Air Suspension

vristang

Why is it so hard to find information on this system? Wire diagrams, solenoid locations, dvm test procedures for the sensors... I can't seem to find squat online. Is there a secret stash somewhere?

Currently, my front drivers side air bag is fully inflated. The pump runs for several minutes after each start up. I suspect the position sensor on drivers side has failed, but can't find any details on these position sensors.
Are they standard rotary potentiometers? Is it a 0-5v output sensor?
Where are the solenoids located? (I assume there are a couple?)
Where is the control module? or is it part of the engine computer on the firewall?
Any good wire diagrams for checking continuity throughout the system? pinouts for the control module/ecu?

I checked the linkages on the driver side, still intact. Air bag is full, and hard as a rock.
I suspect the position sensor has failed. Or maybe a solenoid is stuck somewhere?

Any advice would be greatly appreciate, the ride sucks with the one bag over inflated, lol.

G-507582

The pump/system is designed this way. when you exit the vehicle you should notice it slowly lowers the rear to a kneel position not very noticeable but it does allow easier access. after you start it up it returns to ride height.

Karlb

Hello I hope this fulfills all you ever did not want to know! lol

I am a retired mechanic and own 2 navigators, both I obtained due to the prior owners lack of understanding of the air ride suspension. In their defense the info they were getting was from the dealers! It is shameful as I paid 750 dollars for a straight perfect running vehicle and fixed the issue within the hour after I drove it home on no air ride. They were told it needed a new air pump and a host of other parts. It was just a bad connection at the pump high voltage relay. no money spent to fix it. cleaned, tightened connector applied fresh silicone grease and has been working perfect for the last two years. same air pump. This same vehicle was struggling with dead battery issues and the dealer advised this guy to put a knife switch on the battery to stop it from draining the battery! REALLY? (you really do not want to be rebooting the computer every time you drive it as you loose all it has learned about your personal driving habits) it was the right rear passenger door with a sticking door switch that caused the computer to keep turning on the entry lites then time out and then turn on again.....all the time which definitely will kill the battery. Silicone spray on all the door switches and I have not had a dead battery since. no I will not take out my air ride and put in springs! why have a Lincoln! the ride is not better on springs trust me! lol

There is some info out there but as I am sure you have found out all folks want you to do is buy their spring replacement package.
The one thing I would ask you to confirm is that your vehicle is returning to entry height after you turn off and exit the vehicle. There should be about an inch or so of rear body drop known as kneeling position/or entry height. If you stand next to the vehicle lock the doors and wait/listen you should see the rear of the vehicle sit lower-slowly when you start the vehicle back up it will return to ride height. I am going to assume at this point that is why you are hearing the pump at start up. FYI-the system is designed to not pump with an open door or hatch.
Also if you put the vehicle in Neutral, shift 4wd low wait put back into drive wait again and you will feel the entire vehicle lift for clearance off road. It is quite a lift too. be patient as it does raise it quite a bit.(never measured how much 3 inches?)
Although not advised by the proper police! if you reach up under the dash on the passenger side and turn off the air ride while still in 4wd Low you will notice it stays at the elevated height. you can drive your vehicle with this switch turned off. Be aware if you jack up or tow it, you need to turn this switch off so as not to confuse the crap out of the gem module. needs to be turned off in the kneeling position.

sensors-
One height sensor in the front tied to drivers side A arm. One rear is attached to drivers side axle to body. different years tried different types but essentially all do the same thing....report position to gem module. a high voltage relay is used to activate air pump and it is located under air pump in behind bumper. these are notorious for screwing up and causing no inflate etc., for the most part it is usually just because the connectors are oxidized causing resistance which also will cause the connectors to overheat and expand which makes the issue even worse as time goes on. save yourself from future issue unplug it and verify those connections are tight,clean and stuff new silicone grease to stop the oxidation. the low voltage from gem module is what energizes this relay to turn on the air pump. there is a good YouTube video that shows you how to test it, I would not attempt to describe this here.
Also there is a solenoid on each airbag and a vent solenoid in between each pair of shocks 1 in front and 1 in rear. these are what are used to adjust vehicle back down as each shock is sealed to air pump with open close only no venting at shock connection. the front pair will vent as well as the rear pair will vent as commanded via gem module via these vent solenoids.

There is a separate module "gem module" up behind the fuse block assembly. It is responsible for quite a host of other things as well as overseeing the air ride. these can go bad I have heard, no experience with a failed gem yet but I am sure it will happen at some point.

In final don't let folks give you a raw time over the air ride system, Lincoln is not the only company with these systems and if you google any other manufacturer you will find ALL of them have the same type of issues, even buses, motor-homes and semi truck and trailers. It is a semi complicated system and all needs to be in good working order to be at it's best. feel free to message me if you have other questions that I may have missed.

vristang

Karlb,
Thanks for the info...

I gave up, and ordered a set of sensors for the front, and a Chiltons and a Haynes manual.
Should be here Saturday.

I removed and tried to bench test the resistance on the drivers side sensor, which is the one I suspect of being faulty. The arm is stiff, especially at the extremes of its range, and I couldn't get a change in resistance regardless of position.
I was also able to confirm 5v is present at the harness side of the sensor.

Did not attempt any diagnosing of the solenoid. Seems to me that if the solenoid was faulty/leaking, the position sensor should demonstrate some control over the system. Now, it does not seem to have control (bag at full extension, and pump still running constantly).

Hopefully the new sensors take care of it, and I can get some detailed info for my next issue in the manuals...

I have yet to locate the suspension system disable switch on the vehicle though?
Been removing the relay to shut it down.

G-68156

yes, that sounds dead, I beleive your shut off for your year is in the back cargo panel drivers side. good luck let us know how you do!

vristang

^Thanks
Found the switch, but issues persist...

Swapped out the drivers side sensor. Now, the pump does not come on at all. The drivers side is at full compression (low rider), while passenger side seems to be at normal ride height.
The Chilton and Haynes manuals are useless. No diagrams of the air system at all. The wiring diagram was a joke, only showing the GEM module, then pointing off to the air system... Didn't show solenoids, valves, or sensors.
Ordered the Ford Manuals this morning, should be here in a few days.

I'll double check the relay and fuses tonight... Maybe I had a failure there while messing with things this weekend...

jasontorian

I am a retired mechanic and own 2 navigators, both I obtained due to the prior owners lack of understanding of the air ride suspension. In their defense the info they were getting was from the dealers! It is shameful as I paid 750 dollars for a straight perfect running vehicle and fixed the issue within the hour after I drove it home on no air ride. They were told it needed a new air pump and a host of other parts. It was just a bad connection at the pump high voltage relay. no money spent to fix it. cleaned, tightened connector applied fresh silicone grease and has been working perfect for the last two years. same air pump. This same vehicle was struggling with dead battery issues and the dealer advised this guy to put a knife switch on the battery to stop it from draining the battery! REALLY? (you really do not want to be rebooting the computer every time you drive it as you loose all it has learned about your personal driving habits) it was the right rear passenger door with a sticking door switch that caused the computer to keep turning on the entry lites then time out and then turn on again.....all the time which definitely will kill the battery. Silicone spray on all the door switches and I have not had a dead battery since. no I will not take out my air ride and put in springs! why have a Lincoln! the ride is not better on springs trust me! lol

There is some info out there but as I am sure you have found out all folks want you to do is buy their spring replacement package.
The one thing I would ask you to confirm is that your vehicle is returning to entry height after you turn off and exit the vehicle. There should be about an inch or so of rear body drop known as kneeling position/or entry height. If you stand next to the vehicle lock the doors and wait/listen you should see the rear of the vehicle sit lower-slowly when you start the vehicle back up it will return to ride height. I am going to assume at this point that is why you are hearing the pump at start up. FYI-the system is designed to not pump with an open door or hatch.
Also if you put the vehicle in Neutral, shift 4wd low wait put back into drive wait again and you will feel the entire vehicle lift for clearance off road. It is quite a lift too. be patient as it does raise it quite a bit.(never measured how much 3 inches?)
Although not advised by the proper police! if you reach up under the dash on the passenger side and turn off the air ride while still in 4wd Low you will notice it stays at the elevated height. you can drive your vehicle with this switch turned off. Be aware if you jack up or tow it, you need to turn this switch off so as not to confuse the crap out of the gem module. needs to be turned off in the kneeling position.

sensors-
One height sensor in the front tied to drivers side A arm. One rear is attached to drivers side axle to body. different years tried different types but essentially all do the same thing....report position to gem module. a high voltage relay is used to activate air pump and it is located under air pump in behind bumper. these are notorious for screwing up and causing no inflate etc., for the most part it is usually just because the connectors are oxidized causing resistance which also will cause the connectors to overheat and expand which makes the issue even worse as time goes on. save yourself from future issue unplug it and verify those connections are tight,clean and stuff new silicone grease to stop the oxidation. the low voltage from gem module is what energizes this relay to turn on the air pump. there is a good YouTube video that shows you how to test it, I would not attempt to describe this here.
Also there is a solenoid on each airbag and a vent solenoid in between each pair of shocks 1 in front and 1 in rear. these are what are used to adjust vehicle back down as each shock is sealed to air pump with open close only no venting at shock connection. the front pair will vent as well as the rear pair will vent as commanded via gem module via these vent solenoids.

There is a separate module "gem module" up behind the fuse block assembly. It is responsible for quite a host of other things as well as overseeing the air ride. these can go bad I have heard, no experience with a failed gem yet but I am sure it will happen at some point.

In final don't let folks give you a raw time over the air ride system, Lincoln is not the only company with these systems and if you google any other manufacturer you will find ALL of them have the same type of issues, even buses, motor-homes and semi truck and trailers. It is a semi complicated system and all needs to be in good working order to be at it's best. feel free to message me if you have other questions that I may have missed.
HELP ME PLLEEEAAASE...2007 navigator. I have fixed a host of issues but cant figure this last one out. AIR SUSPENSION down .....I have new pump new air shocks. The pump runs no raise in ride height. I have tried 2 different pumps.....have not replaced solenoids......Dis there a computer reset procedure? Disclaimer i did remove the airline from on of the solenoids and later realized I did not need to. Could I have caused some damage????

No codes no warnings...... pulling my hair out....Took to the dealer and the told me i needed new shock mounts ....ineffective.....so what say you?

sensors-

HELP ME PLLEEEAAASE...2007 navigator. I have fixed a host of issues but cant figure this last one out. AIR SUSPENSION down .....I have new pump new air shocks. The pump runs no raise in ride height. I have tried 2 different pumps.....have not replaced solenoids......Dis there a computer reset procedure? Disclaimer i did remove the airline from on of the solenoids and later realized I did not need to. Could I have caused some damage????

No codes no warnings...... pulling my hair out....Took to the dealer and the told me i needed new shock mounts ....ineffective.....so what say you?

Karlb

There is a lot of variables to consider.
1) Be sure your position sensor arms are attached.
you cannot jack up or tow the vehicle with air ride switched on without issues.
I believe 2007+ had an issue with the front position sensor arms going bad due to corrosion. You can test them to be sure they are functioning. There are several videos online how to test for this if you do not understand or know how.
Try this first-
Have you reset the air ride yet? If you jacked it up in the air with the air ride switch still on to change the shocks then yes you have confused the computer. If you know where the switch is, turn it off and start the vehicle let it run a few minutes then turn it off. turn the air ride switch back on. This should get the computer back to looking where the positions are and reset them. Not always solved this way. Be sure all doors are shut. It is not suppose to move vehicle up or down with any doors open.
If you do not know where the switch is and cannot find the info to it's location you can disconnect your battery for an hour and retry BUT this will also reset everything else seat positions shifting patterns etc. no panic here as the computer will relearn everything it needs to.

Is the pump new? you said it runs but does not lift the vehicle right? does the pump run then shut off by itself? if it runs then shuts off this kinda leads me to believe the computer is not aware of the actual position of the frame to axles. Hopefully a reset will help. If reset does not help then I would be looking at the position sensors to verify they work as well as verify the pump is actually producing pressurized air. The good news is the pump wants to come on so your computer high amp relay is still working. The computer is looking for a certain low voltage feedback from the position sensor the same way a throttle position sensor works. This is how it knows where it is.
if the pump continues to cycle every few minute then you have a line leak which will cause a no lift as the whole system needs to pressurize with no open leaks. Double check all shock fittings to be sure you got them inserted all the way. Now if you did the shocks not knowing why they were down then you may have missed what might actually be wrong. Can you hear air leaking from somewhere while the pump is running? provided the pump actually compresses air. I have heard horror stories of 3 bad new pumps in a row and used ones that run with no air because the piston broke off inside but the motor still runs. Just throwing you whats on my mind about this. Let me know if you have more questions.

vristang

My issue turned out to be the height position sensor.
When I installed the new one, it turned out to be the sensor for the other side of the vehicle.
The polarity of the sensors is opposite, and they can’t be switched. Found that tidbit out with one brief comment in the ford manual... not flag noted, just buried in a wall of text, lol.
Good luck

jasontorian

There is a lot of variables to consider.
1) Be sure your position sensor arms are attached.
you cannot jack up or tow the vehicle with air ride switched on without issues.
I believe 2007+ had an issue with the front position sensor arms going bad due to corrosion. You can test them to be sure they are functioning. There are several videos online how to test for this if you do not understand or know how.
Try this first-
Have you reset the air ride yet? If you jacked it up in the air with the air ride switch still on to change the shocks then yes you have confused the computer. If you know where the switch is, turn it off and start the vehicle let it run a few minutes then turn it off. turn the air ride switch back on. This should get the computer back to looking where the positions are and reset them. Not always solved this way. Be sure all doors are shut. It is not suppose to move vehicle up or down with any doors open.
If you do not know where the switch is and cannot find the info to it's location you can disconnect your battery for an hour and retry BUT this will also reset everything else seat positions shifting patterns etc. no panic here as the computer will relearn everything it needs to.

Is the pump new? you said it runs but does not lift the vehicle right? does the pump run then shut off by itself? if it runs then shuts off this kinda leads me to believe the computer is not aware of the actual position of the frame to axles. Hopefully a reset will help. If reset does not help then I would be looking at the position sensors to verify they work as well as verify the pump is actually producing pressurized air. The good news is the pump wants to come on so your computer high amp relay is still working. The computer is looking for a certain low voltage feedback from the position sensor the same way a throttle position sensor works. This is how it knows where it is.
if the pump continues to cycle every few minute then you have a line leak which will cause a no lift as the whole system needs to pressurize with no open leaks. Double check all shock fittings to be sure you got them inserted all the way. Now if you did the shocks not knowing why they were down then you may have missed what might actually be wrong. Can you hear air leaking from somewhere while the pump is running? provided the pump actually compresses air. I have heard horror stories of 3 bad new pumps in a row and used ones that run with no air because the piston broke off inside but the motor still runs. Just throwing you whats on my mind about this. Let me know if you have more questions.
thank you for helping lets see...the pump is new . This is an 07 so the turn off switch is in the cluster and I have been toggling it on and off....ummmm...what else...?.....sensor arms are attached. Can I assume that they are function its commanding the pump to activate? All doors plus rear glass are shut. The pump will not run unless this condition is met. pump runs and eventually shuts off but does try again. I assume it takes a moment to kool down .

jasontorian

thank you for helping lets see...the pump is new . This is an 07 so the turn off switch is in the cluster and I have been toggling it on and off....ummmm...what else...?.....sensor arms are attached. Can I assume that they are function its commanding the pump to activate? All doors plus rear glass are shut. The pump will not run unless this condition is met. pump runs and eventually shuts off but does try again. I assume it takes a moment to kool down .

jasontorian

i did snatch the line out of the solenoid...then realized that I could have avoided that.....do you think when i put the line back in......problem could be there?

jasontorian

im betting solenoids are expensive...I hate to thro more parts at it if that isnt the problem .... the air bags came with o rings.....actually more than i think i needed hope i didn't miss something

vristang

Have you tested the sensors?
No, don’t assume they are functional just because the pump triggers on...

like I said, that corrected my issue, each time I have had one on my 06.
My experience is limited, but all I have had to replace is sensors, or reattaching the arms...

jasontorian

no not yet....the 06 is different from the 07 correct? that was the significant body change?
I think the 07 system is a little different....only air in the rear....tho your point is taken about the sensors

taqi

sensors-

Hi Karlb, I was just wondering if you can provide some help, I have an interesting situation and i did check all the fuses and relay, also this happens to only left rear air shock.
Its not inflating.
This started about 3 weeks ago, when i came back from a short trip and parked it, only left side went down, so i decided to check for leaks with soap and water, but found none, the compressor works because when i make a short trip i can see the height difference before i park, as soon as i park left side goes down upon closing the doors.
It looks like only right side air bag inflate to keep truck in driving height which basically lift the left air shock and when i park, truck goes to parking height making left side all the way down.

So far i have changed the left side height sensor with OEM, drove the truck no effect.
I thought the sensor might be bad, to check i took off right side height sensor and plugged the new left height sensor there and manually moved the lever to see if right side shock goes up, and it did went up.

My understanding is left side is not getting any signal to fill the air shock.
may be solenoid, do they inflate the system or just there to deflate?

i searched but only found problems with both rear sides sagging, and my issue is just with left side, compressor works, side right side get inflated.

Would really appreciate if you could please help out.
Thank you

Attachments