• Hint: Use a descriptive title for your new message
    If you're looking for help and want to draw people in who can assist you, use a descriptive subject title when posting your message. In other words, "1998 Town Car" isn't going to indicate to anybody that you need help. However, "Need help with my 1998 Town Car" will. Be as descriptive as you can. Please use common sense... This message can be closed by clicking the X in the top right corner.

2006 Lincoln Town car signature ride quality. (Front suspension) Need others opinions and experiences, My first TC

Shrevetc

I recently purchased a 2006 Lincoln Town car signature with 51,000 original miles in incredible condition. This is my first TC, but my grandmother owned a 2006 Town car signature limited and I drove that car many times and loved it. The one thing that I fondly remember about that car was the incredibly soft and floaty ride quality. Mine doesn't have an extremely harsh ride and the air suspension seems to be functioning properly but it's not like my grandmother's was. I've loaded it down with groceries and threw two big adults in the back and it adjusted to ride height like it should. However the front struts seem harsher than I remember them on hers. The suspension rebounds quickly and I don't notice any leaking from the shocks nor does it seem bouncy, but it feels like its maybe hitting the bump stops or has a harsher than expected ride in front. It drives like a modern car would, not like I'd expect a town car to. it just doesn't have that soft gliding feel my grandmothers did. I don't think its had them replaced, but I'm not 100% that my current struts are actually oem. I don't see any obvious problems and springs are seated in their perches and isolators appear intact. No obvious issues that I can see. I saw a few posts that stated that there were several spring options that ford offered on various years. Any way to determine what years or is there an option code? I really want that lazy floaty big car feel these are known for and this is our road trip travel vehicle. Any advice or information is appreciated! Also which brand strut/spring combo is best for that soft ride? Part numbers are appreciated. I know some manufacturers state a part will "fit" the town car when its not actually a Lincoln equivalent part. If I need to replace the struts which I feel like I do, I want to insure I get that ride back! I don't want to put crown vic springs on my Lincoln and end up with the same ride quality ive got. I want that detached, floaty, big car ride these are famous for, otherwise I'm in love with this land yacht.

Also are the fuel gauges on these cars slow to adjust? I filled it up on 1/4 tank and it took a while for it to rise to full. It took probably 25-30 minutes of drive time, and it was incredibly slow. I filled it up, drove it home (2 miles) and it sat over night. Even then it was slowly (Like painfully slow) adjusting. May be a bad sender or a bad connection at the tank. Not sure, but before I replaced the fuel sender I wanted to find out what others experiences were. It works, just incredibly slow. thoughts?

Thank you for any advice, suggestions, and information! I appreciate it!

Shrevetc

Could simply be coil springs have compressed over time. It doesn't appear that is sits that low in front, but I'm not 100% Could just be old weak springs that have sagged over time. Just wanted to know if anyone else has had a similar experience.

Thank you!

bmarler

i've heard that the suspension was firmed up on later years of the town car. i don't know what years interchange but it might help to install early spec items.
the fuel gauge thing has been discussed before. there's an anti-surge circuit built into the gauge. if you don't shut off the ignition when refueling it does what you described. also, if you add less than 10% of the tank capacity it'll do that. mine does it every now and then for no particular reason, i just ignore it.(try to anyway)

Shrevetc

Ah! Thank you for the info! Makes sense. Much appreciated!

I recently bought an '07 for the same reason as you - - the boulevard ride. This is my first TC, so I don't have a lot of reference. But, I would say my ride is close to what I remember from other, non-lincoln Big Cars. But, to get here, I had to have both front A-arms replaced with associated bushings and whatever, and my two rear airbags replaced.

I'd say that whatever small harshness I feel is due to tires at this point. They are OK, but not ideal for ride comfort. I guess my suggestion is to get a good front end inspection for warn parts other than the springs and shocks.

wolf_walker

The 03 and later cars are considerably stiffer in general than the earlier cars(chassis and otherwise). No doubt fresh parts will help, but an 03 and later really wasn't intended to be floaty in the sense of the 70's and 80's and even 2nd gen 90's models. It's a point of much debate but they clearly leaned toward something vaguely european (but not quite) to try and keep up with the neighbors of the time so to speak. Not a bad ride, and they handle and brake way better than the earlier cars, but my tired 90 model rode worlds better than any 03- I've been in. Just a totally different beast other than still being a two ton full frame car. The front springs do tire, and it is important to have proper shocks (which is harder to accomplish than just buying something from the local parts store), so no doubt improvement is to be had after a decade or more.

Shrevetc

Wolf_walker, I saw in a previous post that you researched different springs and shocks. In your opinion which is the best combo for these cars? I saw on another thread to avoid the moog 9114 spring and go for the 8656 spring instead due to lower spring rate as the 9114 gives a harsh ride. any advice is appreciated. Also in reference to the 03 and later cars being stiffer... Would springs from an 02 Town car fit and be the best solution and are they a direct fit? I really don't want to spend lots of time and money replacing these struts since I will be doing the work myself, if its going to be a bad combo. What was your solution and were you happy with the results? Thank you for any info!

Aside from the spring, which I agree provides the suspension ride, a good shock is very important as well.
I put new KYB shocks on my 97 TC in 2018 and it made a very big difference. I agree with others posts, the 97 TC rides softer and floats more than the 2003 I have with under 50k miles. You might want to make sure your tires are all good and at the proper tire inflation for ride quality also.

wolf_walker

The car would look funny, but if you could put some nice traditionally squishy 70 series sidewall tires on the later cars I bet they'd ride better too.
And handle and brake worse, but ride better. :)

The car would look funny, but if you could put some nice traditionally squishy 70 series sidewall tires on the later cars I bet they'd ride better too.
And handle and brake worse, but ride better. :)
I think the modern fetish for "racing tires" with huge wheels is ruining the ride of almost all cars. A couple days ago, I drove my sister's 2020 Subaru Forester Limited about 300 miles on the freeway. WORST F*%#@ing driving experience of my recent life. A seat that is made of oak wood coupled with a super tight suspension and those idiotic "55" tires on wagon wheels and the loudest engine I've heard in years made me feel like my arse was broken! Not to mention the need for almost constant steering correction!

wolf_walker

Yeah I've been having that experience for years with newer cars. It's one thing in a performance oriented car, another in a daily use or comfort car.
Crazy. 60 series 17's on my 04 aren't that bad, but they are a far cry from from some nice fat 70 series on a 15" wheel ride wise.

Shrevetc

Update, Took the TC on a 2 hour trip to a family wedding this last weekend. Took the car on some very rough rural roads. Definitely have a front suspension issue as I suspected. Front feels like its almost on the bump stops because any decent bumps in the road and it feels extremely firm and with very little suspension travel. Guessing the factory springs have compressed over time limiting that. Who has replaced their front struts/springs and what was your choice and what was your opinion of the results. part numbers help. Prefer to get to close as original specs.

Mine are being replaced this week! I'll let you know. I selected "Original Equipment" replacement. I didn't feel like I wanted to risk "high performance" struts, because I don't want it for racing, just a nice Boulevard Ride!

Shrevetc

please let me know what you think and which combo you put on. Going motorcraft (OEM) or equivalent? Part numbers would also be appreciated if you have them.

04TC

Tampa, FL
Are the tires inflated to the full pressure?? I saw someone's post recently in this forum. can't remember who it was. They said their Car rides more bouncy when the tires aren't filled to the recommended tire pressure. After having filled mine up to spec i could swear there was a noticeable difference in ride quality.

wolf_walker

I bought ford springs from Tasco or FordPartsGiant awhile ago, and have yet to install them.
Part number 9W1Z-5310-D.

What I have in my notes from, vainly, trying to make a lick of sense out of fords part number supercessions
over the years since they don't publish a proper EPC for us is:

3W1Z-5310-CA front spring 03-09 TC
superseded to
9W1Z-5310-D front spring 03-06 TC tasca, Production Date: 07/2003-02/2009

3W1Z-5310-GA 03-11
superseded to
9W1Z-5310-A front spring 07-10

9W7Z-5310-A front spring, 2011 is now a W7 which is Crown Vic
BW7Z-18124-A front strut 06-11 ALL

It's been so long since I looked into that stuff I can't remember exactly what I was on to, but the one I
bought was for an 06ish model based on the many complaints of 03-04 and very late production TC's
being too stiff. I think the matching, or whatever they pass off as matching, shock is still available too
whereas the 04 part number (mine is an 04) is no longer available. Clearly indicating that they are different.

I think ford monkeyed around with spring and shock rates for awhile after the refresh in 03 trying to tame
the harshness a bit, and I think they gave up toward the end of life of the thing and started superseding stuff
to generic Crown Vic/Grand Marquis parts. Which work, but aren't calibrated like an actual TC part.

Update on my '07 TC with 85,000 miles:
Yesterday, my new "shade tree mechanic" installed my struts and shocks in about 4 hours. I paid him $220, and I tossed in another $40 just because he was so polite and fast at the job. So, $260 for labor and $260 for parts.

I am VERY happy with the result. The ride is very much improved in every way. The car no longer squats when starting from a stop. The wheels now seem firmly attached. The ride is smooth and tight.

He reported to me that one rear shock had leaked, and that one from strut had a badly worn "mounting hole" .

As a reminder, my PEP Boys quote was $1050, and my garage quote was $1475.00.

HTML