Lincoln Forums Navigation:

2004 Towncar panel vent airflow weak

Thread starter #1
When on auto the air from the ac comes out of defrost and heater vent very strong barely out of the panel. When on panel air comes out of defrost strong and panel very weak. I need to know the location of the correct actuator and how to get to it.

Town

Ottawa Ontario Canada
Welcome to the Forum.

There are 2 mode door actuators in the center of the dash that may need replacing. The dash needs to be removed for access. We have an EATC self test that you can run that will tell you for certain. I will post it for you.

Good luck.

Town

Ottawa Ontario Canada
In our Town Car Tech forum are many procedures that may help you with your problem. The first is the EATC self test here: Town Car EATC Self test in post #13 you will find the procedure that you need to confirm the diagnosis of a mode door actuator problem. If that is the case you will need to replace both mode door actuators. The other 3 actuators (2 blend door actuators and the fresh air intake door actuator) can be replaced without removing the dash.

Good luck.

Thread starter #5
In our Town Car Tech forum are many procedures that may help you with your problem. The first is the EATC self test here: Town Car EATC Self test in post #13 you will find the procedure that you need to confirm the diagnosis of a mode door actuator problem. If that is the case you will need to replace both mode door actuators. The other 3 actuators (2 blend door actuators and the fresh air intake door actuator) can be replaced without removing the dash.

Good luck.
I get 1263 error code. Where do I find pinpoint test F?

Town

Ottawa Ontario Canada
Those tests are for the expensive scanner equipped shops, like your dealer. The panel/defrost door actuator has failed, and this confirms the poor airflow from the panel vents that you are experiencing. The panel/defrost actuator is mounted in the center of the dash with the floor/defrost actuator so the dash has to be removed for access. You should replace both those actuators while you have the dash out. The 3 other actuators can be replaced a little easier with the dash out too. The actuators are not expensive.

We have the procedures that you need (to DIY) in our Tech forum here: Town Car Dash removal for actuator replacement Warranty replacement allows 4 hours of labour, but my old dealer used way more than that for 2 people not familiar with the work. Typical shop cost would be CAD$1,300 but US pricing would be cheaper I expect.

Good luck.

OK, I replaced both actuators behind the dash, re-installed the dash, but have a grey electrical plug with four wires left without a mate. it is with the wire cluster on the driver side at the park brake pedal. I need help.
That sounds like the parking brake auto release. An electrical actuator that will release the parking brake when the trans is shifted from park. I will check in the morning the location of the connection at the parking brake.

Sorry, the parking brake auto release is a vacuum line, and the electrical connector is for the brake light so not likely a 4 pin plug. I cannot see anything obvious in that vicinity. Perhaps a connector from the lower instrument panel; for the adjustable pedals switch or connector at the adjustable pedals actuator above the brake pedal?

Good luck

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

HTML