2004 Town Car with various issues

Sorensontx

Update after a long week

water pump and power steering pump on the Escalade. Soldered some new bulbs into my Sierra’s climate control last night. I did finish the steering wheel on the TC. I’m happy with it but the color is not quite right. More gray. Should have went with my gut and got the MED DRK STONE. It looked closer online. But no biggie it’s really close but I went back and got the air bag that I left at the yard because I didn’t want to change the color of my original one. Now I’ll have 2 good steering wheels.
I did 4 coats and then sanded with 400. (1500 wasn’t doing much) then 3 more coats. Still have some slight pitting but nothing anyone would notice. It’ll be less noticeable once I buff it. Speaking of buffing, I put a wheel to the paint this week too. Boy did it need it!!! Compound, polish, ceramic hybrid wax. Looks and feels fantastic!! Never noticed how much sparkle was in the paint before.
Great job on the wheel......

Dogluvr

ok so it sits uneven in the back too. Both passenger side wheels are lower than driver side. So I’m thinking the problem lies in the rear. I jacked up the rear on the passenger side just a hair and it corrected everything front and back. I inspected the front while on ramps and all seems perfect. It looks like this car has barely ever been worked on. In the rear, it’s clear just by looking that one air bag is slightly fuller than the other. My question: is it possible to have one bag filling up more than the other? Remember this car was bottomed out for a couple months before I got it then it decided to raise up on its own after I had it a couple days. Did one solenoid open or close slower than the other causing an uneven fill?? It does the routine raise and lower about 3/4 inch during each ignition cycle just like it’s supposed to. Holds air fine. Hasn’t moved an inch. Just uneven.

CuttingToolGuy

Houston
For what it is worth, when my car was new to me it had a lean as you describe. It actually only had 1 air spring holding air. I also noticed a kind of 'wiggle' in the rear end going over cracks or bumps in the road. It always felt as if the 'wiggle' went from passenger to drivers side.

After a short time (couple of weeks daily driving) in service the weak bag went away completely & I had to replace both.

Dogluvr

For what it is worth, when my car was new to me it had a lean as you describe. It actually only had 1 air spring holding air. I also noticed a kind of 'wiggle' in the rear end going over cracks or bumps in the road. It always felt as if the 'wiggle' went from passenger to drivers side.

After a short time (couple of weeks daily driving) in service the weak bag went away completely & I had to replace both.
Funny you mention that. I noticed the same thing. It kind of shifts back and forth sometimes over certain bumps. It’s real slight but noticeable because it’s unlike anything I’ve felt in any other car. I just assumed the air ride feels a little different. But it’s definitely a wiggle like you said. Maybe I have one weaker than the other. They both look and feel similar when I’m under there but that’s no guarantee.
I just watched a few videos on changing them out. Super simple. Maybe I’ll swap sides and see what happens. Thanks. 👍

Dogluvr

Update. I deflated both air bags (while the car was supported at the frame) then I let them fill back up before lowering it all the way and now the back is super close to even. Still about 1/8 inch or maybe a little less which I suspect is within normal specs anyway. The front is still about 1/2 inch off. What it probably needs is to be driven.
I did install the new wood grain steering wheel. Much better feel 👍 didn’t think it would mount any different than the other one but I actually had to adjust the toe a qtr turn to get it centered. Wheel is straight and drives perfect 👌

Attachments

• 0876DB3B-3115-4183-B861-8B852553F792.jpeg
    0876DB3B-3115-4183-B861-8B852553F792.jpeg
    305.3 KB · Views: 5

Dogluvr

Update.
So if you remove the air bag bulb it beeps at you. We’ve established that, but it does every 20-30 minutes 🙄 can’t have that. What an I gonna say to passengers? It’s just the seat belt reminder 😆 making sure you still have your seat belt on! And it beeps 25 times each time. So plan B. A 40 ohm resistor in place of the bulb. Works perfectly, no light no beep. 👍 the car is running amazing too.

I took off the steering wheel and did some more to it. Sanded some of the spots again, applied 3 more coats and I hit the center Lincoln star and the buttons with clear coat. The original coating had turned yellowish and worn off the buttons completely, leaving the buttons feeling sticky and the star looked faded. Now it’s shiny silver again and the buttons look great! And feel great too. Steering wheel is done. ✅

Attachments

• C608DA66-9BAD-48D9-A28C-B775A751F97E.jpeg
    C608DA66-9BAD-48D9-A28C-B775A751F97E.jpeg
    203.1 KB · Views: 5

wolf_walker

Funny you mention that. I noticed the same thing. It kind of shifts back and forth sometimes over certain bumps. It’s real slight but noticeable because it’s unlike anything I’ve felt in any other car. I just assumed the air ride feels a little different. But it’s definitely a wiggle like you said. Maybe I have one weaker than the other. They both look and feel similar when I’m under there but that’s no guarantee.
I just watched a few videos on changing them out. Super simple. Maybe I’ll swap sides and see what happens. Thanks. 👍

That wiggle I believe, and some others do as well, is an artifact of the rear suspension setup on these cars. The previous gen, minus the watts link, behaved like any other rear wheel drive car. These feel a little different. I haven't driven one with a spring conversion, don't know if that makes any difference. I replaced my watts link and all four control arms, and bags, and put a cop car rear sway bar on the rear, shocks are good, and it's "ok" now.
The low speed butt wiggle is still there, and while cornering is certainly good for what it is, evasive maneuvers at speed tend to have the ass respond slightly after steering inputs such that you could find yourself in trouble if you don't expect it. It's a lot like most cars would feel if the rear was worn the heck out, but more predictable. I never drive that way and I've gotten used to it otherwise so no biggie, but it's there and imo a "feature" of the car. Going from a 90 model to this it freaked me right heck out the first time I tried to move somewhat evasively on the interstate, expecting body lean but the car to respond like it was one solid piece. I'm sure the actual grip is much higher on these than the older ones and you can really lay these into an on or off ramp at speed, but they sure don't feel like every other soft heavy RWD domestic car I've driven in the last 30 years.