2004 Town Car with various issues

Dogluvr

I just bought a super clean ‘04 signature from a widow on my street. It was her husband’s and it has sat since he passed. Only has 55k on it looks beautiful. I am very mechanically inclined and have fixed anything you can imagine on GM cars. This is my first Lincoln.
It has a list of things going wrong and I don’t know where to begin.

1. Won’t shift out of Park, has no brake lights. I replaced the brake switch tonight but no change. It WILL shift out of Park if I disconnect the battery. I can put it in Neutral, reconnect battery, start it, and it will go in any gear and drive. When it hits Park, it locks again.

2. No courtesy lights upon opening doors. No blown fuses.

3. Climate control is inoperable, no lights, no reaction to any button being pressed, I hear the compressor cycling on so it’s stuck in A/C mode. Radio works fine lights and all. Power door locks, power seats, headlights, tail lights, parking lights, turn signals all seem to work normally.

4. Rear suspension is on the ground. I hear the compressor coming on, but nothing moves at all. Is it most likely the air bags themselves just need replaced? Visually they look almost new. No dryness or cracks. I even feel pressure in them.

5. The ignition lock cylinder is super sticky. It takes effort to turn the key and it will actually stay stuck in START if I don’t pull it back once the engine has started.

6. Weirdest of all, SES light is on so I hook up my scanner and it doesn’t even turn on. No response at all..

This car had standing water in the back floor board and mold starting to form on multiple surfaces. Some surface rust even formed on the steering shaft and some other metal under there so it has seen its share of moisture not to mention humid GA summer. Very low miles so it has sat A LOT. I have watched it at my neighbor’s house sit for the last six months under a cover that was not water proof so it made it worse actually every time it rained. I actually went and offered to buy it from her because it was gonna rot if I didn’t. She was happy to see it go to a neighbor so that was cool. It’s a real beauty!! Thanks for any help!!

CuttingToolGuy

Houston
Anybody that likes dogs is welcome here.

You should read through the stickies at the top of this forum. There is one about a common water leak you can fix in about an hour.

For the no shifting, there are 2 brake switches, one for the lights & one for the shifter. You probably need this one linked to in post #4.

For the airbags the leaks are usually found on the section that is folded over. The best way to check is to jack up the body until the bags are elongated and then look for small cracks. Sometimes the 'filter/drier' the air passes through can get clogged, the pump could be bad, the air line could be cut, the solenoids could be stuck and the bags can have leaks.

I would use something like WD-40 to clean the ignition lock.

It sounds like lots of corrosion has been happening. The DDM (Driver Door Module) and the enviormental control module may be salvagable with a cleaning.

For the OBD2 ALDL port check the fuse for your cigarette lighter. There is power supplied from the same circut and if that fuse is blown for some reason a scanner won't be able to connect.

Last edited:

Dogluvr

You should read through the stickies at the top of this forum. There is one about a common water leak you can fix in about an hour.

For the no shifting, there are 2 brake switches, one for the lights & one for the shifter. You probably need this one linked to in post #4.

For the airbags the leaks are usually found on the section that is folded over. The best way to check is to jack up the body until the bags are elongated and then look for small cracks. Sometimes the 'filter/drier' the air passes through can get clogged, the pump could be bad, the air line could be cut, the solenoids could be stuck and the bags can have leaks.

It sounds like lots of corrosion has been happening. The DDM (Driver Door Module) and the enviormental control module may be salvagable with a cleaning.
Thanks. So you mean the solenoid then in post #4? So the lights are controlled by the plastic one that sits a little higher on the brake pedal? I know I replaced the right switch for the shifting only because I had to do it for a friend about a year ago actually. She had the same problem and it fixed it.
I’ll read through the stickies.
Thanks again.

Dogluvr

For the OBD2 ALDL port check the fuse for your cigarette lighter. There is power supplied from the same circut and if that fuse is blown for some reason a scanner won't be able to connect.
I just realized there was more to your response. Thanks for all those tips!! I’ll report back

Dogluvr

Update.
Spent all day gutting the interior. 2 inch puddle back seat passenger side, hundreds of ants and larvae under the back seat beneath the insulation just breeding on the bare metal!! That was new for me...
Everything is super clean and sanitized. It looks amazing. Almost spotless!!

Here’s the good part: It raised up all by itself! I had the battery charging all day, put it in, and within seconds it was level. I had my other battery in it and it was on a few times yesterday but tonight it decided to lift up. Sweet. I think this car’s only problem has been sitting too much (besides moisture and mold) 🙄
I removed the ignition lock cylinder and it moved freely by itself so I’m gonna have to pull the steering column since everything is removed anyway and see if I can’t free it up some. We’ll see. It was a great first day.

oh and I did try the cigarette lighter and it didn’t work so I’ll check the fuse tomorrow.

Dogluvr

Update.
Steam cleaned every inch cuz why not. I’m waiting for the carpet to dry all the way so what the heck. The whole car is surgical clean. I feel like I just bought a new car the way it looks and smells now.
2 maxi fuses were missing!! Fixed everything I was dealing with inside!! Man am I a happy camper!!! Best $20 I ever spent on another Alldata subscription. Thank God for wiring diagrams.
I’ll lube up the sticky column tomorrow.
Question: the trunk pull down, does the module go bad often? I have no power to the motor upon release. Then as I was messing with it, the trunk release stopped working. Only opens with the key now. Is that the module too? Both get power from fuse 109 which is good. I have power at the trunk pull down module in the yellow/black wire. Is it just a bad module? This is the only thing left to fix on this car.
Thanks again for the help!

All2kool

Portland, OR
This car had standing water in the back floor board and mold starting to form on multiple surfaces.

So here's my $.02 worth:

It's been taking in water for months and months. The electrical system in the Lincoln Town Car is forever damaged and compromised. You are more likely to get hit by lightening on seven consecutive days while holding both of your winning lottery tickets and a 1-iron high in the air before that Lincoln Town Car is ever going to run & function properly again.

So here's my $.02 worth:

It's been taking in water for months and months. The electrical system in the Lincoln Town Car is forever damaged and compromised. You are more likely to get hit by lightening on seven consecutive days while holding both of your winning lottery tickets and a 1-iron high in the air before that Lincoln Town Car is ever going to run & function properly again.
But he did say it's all fixed except the trunk.

raiderfan247365

Western Oregon
Update.
Steam cleaned every inch cuz why not. I’m waiting for the carpet to dry all the way so what the heck. The whole car is surgical clean. I feel like I just bought a new car the way it looks and smells now.
2 maxi fuses were missing!! Fixed everything I was dealing with inside!! Man am I a happy camper!!! Best $20 I ever spent on another Alldata subscription. Thank God for wiring diagrams.
I’ll lube up the sticky column tomorrow.
Question: the trunk pull down, does the module go bad often? I have no power to the motor upon release. Then as I was messing with it, the trunk release stopped working. Only opens with the key now. Is that the module too? Both get power from fuse 109 which is good. I have power at the trunk pull down module in the yellow/black wire. Is it just a bad module? This is the only thing left to fix on this car.
Thanks again for the help!

Hey there @Dogluvr, great to hear you were able to restore your TC!

These automatic trunks can be a bit tricky and yes the modules definitely go bad. If I understand correctly, because of the way the auto close/open sequence is wired, each module depends on each other to function, i.e. if one of the modules are bad the entire auto open/close feature will not work.

For example, my lock actuator was bad but I was experiencing the same issue where even my pull down motor wouldn't work, I replaced my latch module and was able to restore my auto trunk feature.

1604344503700.png

See this thread to get you started as well started:

Dogluvr

Update. Carpet needed an extra day to dry. Weather has been perfect here in GA. cool, dry, and sunny. But man that foam backing on the carpet holds a lot of water!! I spent 30 minutes with a shop vac pushing out water and sucking it up two nights ago. It laid out all day yesterday and it’ll be going in later today.
Here’s the interesting part... the hard turning key problem. I figured maybe ignition switch is sticky, no. So I keep going... and going... and going... until I have the column completely dismantled. Even separated it at the tilt joint (getting the spring back in is not easy) Finally I can get the plastic ignition slider link (official name) out and have no idea why it’s jammed in there. Everything looks normal. All I can think is sitting in this GA heat something got warped because it’s super tight and very hard to slide through. I sand it down, clean it up, grease it, assemble, and it’s like new. Hallelujah. I get a nice click at each point turning the key and I don’t have to turn it back quick before it destroys the starter. What a weird issue. 6 hours of work.

Still need help with the trunk pull down. That’s the only issue left.

Attachments

• 772EBCAB-17E7-4CCD-B23A-F3B8038C7B7F.jpeg
    772EBCAB-17E7-4CCD-B23A-F3B8038C7B7F.jpeg
    322.2 KB · Views: 4
  • F37A2B50-FEB5-48DC-9ABC-F938B88B6F84.jpeg
    F37A2B50-FEB5-48DC-9ABC-F938B88B6F84.jpeg
    412.2 KB · Views: 4

Dogluvr

Hey there @Dogluvr, great to hear you were able to restore your TC!

These automatic trunks can be a bit tricky and yes the modules definitely go bad. If I understand correctly, because of the way the auto close/open sequence is wired, each module depends on each other to function, i.e. if one of the modules are bad the entire auto open/close feature will not work.

For example, my lock actuator was bad but I was experiencing the same issue where even my pull down motor wouldn't work, I replaced my latch module and was able to restore my auto trunk feature.

View attachment 9111

See this thread to get you started as well started:

Just saw this. Great tip. I think that might be it. It actually stopped working the other night for a minute. I hit the remote and got nothing and tried the dot button and also got nothing. Then next morning it was working again. Might also explain why the light doesn’t come on in the trunk either. It’s got a good bulb. I’ll look into it. Thanks!!

raiderfan247365

Western Oregon
Just saw this. Great tip. I think that might be it. It actually stopped working the other night for a minute. I hit the remote and got nothing and tried the dot button and also got nothing. Then next morning it was working again. Might also explain why the light doesn’t come on in the trunk either. It’s got a good bulb. I’ll look into it. Thanks!!
Hey there, yes, my trunk light also didn't work until I replaced the module, fingers crossed for you.

Dogluvr

Air bag light on. I only have a basic scanner. Any on board way to check the code?