• Hint: Use a descriptive title for your new message
    If you're looking for help and want to draw people in who can assist you, use a descriptive subject title when posting your message. In other words, "1998 Town Car" isn't going to indicate to anybody that you need help. However, "Need help with my 1998 Town Car" will. Be as descriptive as you can. Please use common sense... This message can be closed by clicking the X in the top right corner.

2003 TC Signature - Driver Door Panel Cubby Latch Broken - Can It Be Replaced?

matchgame90

I noticed the release button on the driver's door armrest cubby was loose. Then when I opened the lid to put something inside I noticed the button slid right out. I could tell a post or two was missing on the inside of the button. It stays put when the lid is shut, so I'm just careful to not lose the button but was hoping I could replace just the release button and not have to buy a whole new door panel. I've attached a picture so you know what part I mean. Is this a separate piece that can be replaced? If so does anybody have a part number? No yards by me have this new of a Town Car available to pick through, sad to say.

i fixed one last night for a friend.it wasn't the best fix but it works.
assuming you still have the two springs in that button this fix should work.
1.take the button out , and also take springs out.
2.there are two little latches on each side holding that button on that panel.carefully pry them with a small flat head screw driver and pull the button out.
3.put the springs and the button back inside the button assembly.and then wrap it with tape.dont squeeze to much give it some slack to push the button in . just wrap it enough to a level where it was before it was broken.
4.push the whole wrapped button assembly back into its place.make a hole at the top of tape where the door latch will go in
voila !!!

this is no real fix but this button is $85 on ebay.couldnt really justify paying that much to this plastic button.hope it helps.

Last edited:

TownCars1

Houston/TX
I gave up on these silly cubbies. I just took the door panel off and put a hidden screw from the back to hold the arm rest lid permanently shut. Then I siliconed the button back in place.

Even when these doors are working right, the arm rest often doesn't fit flush and it moves around under your elbow. The storage area is not very useful, so the confident feeling and good looks of having those lids bolted down is a much better trade off for me.

G-624877

i fixed one last night for a friend.it wasn't the best fix but it works.
assuming you still have the two springs in that button this fix should work.
1.take the button out , and also take springs out.
2.there are two little latches on each side holding that button on that panel.carefully pry them with a small flat head screw driver and pull the button out.
3.put the springs and the button back inside the button assembly.and then wrap it with tape.dont squeeze to much give it some slack to push the button in . just wrap it enough to a level where it was before it was broken.
4.push the whole wrapped button assembly back into its place.make a hole at the top of tape where the door latch will go in
voila !!!

this is no real fix but this button is $85 on ebay.couldnt really justify paying that much to this plastic button.hope it helps.
Hi Toygar
I just wanted to thank you for the info on replacing the armrest latch, I just finished repacing 2, saved myself a lot of money, and I did it myself which is more gratifying, thanks again!!

wolf_walker

Someone one one of the forums came up with a very clever little fix for these, it was a small thin bent piece of soda can or something along those lines.
Ford still sells them, the later model part number, which differs from the earlier one, are cheaper but identical. I bought and sold a bunch of those from salvage yards to ebay few years ago. They all break, faster if you have children.

Mine was broken when I bought the car. I attempted a fix of the button, but the springs flew out and wouldn't hold. The storage has no useful purpose to me, so I screwed mine closed. My upholsterer, who re did my front leather seats said every TC he ever sees has those buttons broken. He was probably exaggerating a bit.

The "small Lincoln parts" market on Ebay is so pricey it is unbelievable. I don't even look anymore.

wolf_walker

That's cheap.

I eventually noticed the part number differed for the later models but they are identical far as I can tell. I was getting more than $25 for a good used one on ebay regularly.

If it was on a Mercedes, it wouldn't break, but if it did they'd be $75 each, I was mighty annoyed at 60 each for the early part number.

I've been getting quite an "education" on the cost of small parts for my TC. I am still hunting down two center caps for my wheels. They range from a low of $50 each, all the way to $125 each - for a 25-cent 6-inch disc of chromed plastic.

I'm guessing that if I parted out my TC, it would eventually bring about $100,000, if I could hold out until the last bit was sold.

wolf_walker

Parts are funny for these cars, mechanical stuff is cheap enough, bout like any other Ford. It's the little TC specific stuff that's spendy, bout like a Cadillac.
They aren't in line with the value of the cars or the production numbers though, that's for sure.

I also have guys with $50K 911's cry at me daily over spending $75 on a power window motor or such too, nobody wants to pay for anything
but then cry more when the stuff ceases to be available at all since there's no money in it. Or all you can get is some crap made in China that lasts
two days instead of twenty years. Biggest problem with most cars is the owners tbh.
But a $500 cell phone or TV, they can't make enough lol.
Go figure.

HTML