2003 Lincoln Town Car Signature - Sunroof stuck open

HonestAbe

Greetings everyone. I'm a young man who just bought my first Lincoln in August. Recently, I opened the sunroof after keeping it closed for the most part throughout the winter, and now it won't close when I push the button that normally closes it. When I push the button that opens the sunroof, I hear a click from within the sunroof structure, presumably because the sunroof is all the way back. When I push close, there's no noise or movement whatsoever.

I've found a few other threads on the Internet about this, and this seems to be something that's known to occur in these vehicles. The question is: how do I fix it? I'm not particularly mechanically inclined, but I'd like to do as much of the mechanical work myself as I can, if that's possible. My father is very competent at disassembling and reassembling things and he used to work in a body shop, so he can help me with that if need be, but he advised me that it would be wise to consult with people on the Internet who may have dealt with this issue before. I'm not opposed to taking it to the dealership or garage to get looked at, but I want to have an idea of what I'm dealing with so that I can't be lied to.

If there's anyone here who has any ideas or suggestions, I'd appreciate them. Right now I've got the open sunroof covered with sheets of plywood and blankets underneath a car cover, but I need it fixed ASAP. Thanks.

dave42

Leander, TX C.K.U.
There should be a removeable "hump" in the roof liner behind the sunroof. Take off that access cover and there is a gear that can be turned by hand (I've only read about this, not done it, so I don't know what you use for a handle but I think by looking at it you can see what it needs). Also, with this access cover removed you may be able to see what is needed for the repair. Good luck.

All2kool

Portland, OR
There should be a removeable "hump" in the roof liner behind the sunroof. Take off that access cover and there is a gear that can be turned by hand (I've only read about this, not done it, so I don't know what you use for a handle but I think by looking at it you can see what it needs). Also, with this access cover removed you may be able to see what is needed for the repair. Good luck.
Good suggestion. I wonder if the hand crank is still with the car however?

Attachments

mark95man

I hate to tell you that my purchased new 1996 & 2007 & 2014 with factory installed moon roofs never had a hand crank. The 1970 MARK III did have a hand crank.

Town

Ottawa Ontario Canada
The moonroof motor drives the panel using cables, so you cannot mess with that or the panel may be moved out of alignment. There is a diagnostic for the motor not operating for my 2007 model, but I don't have the electrical schematic to go with it, and the fuses don't match up with your 2003 model.

The 2003 model TC moonroof uses fuse 107 (40 amp) in the engine compartment power box for delayed accessories like the windows and radio, so do the windows operate and the radio plays? If none of those work then replace fuse 107 and check fuse 29 (20 amp) for the left front door module since that can affect the moonroof.

If you remove the roof panel near the rear window for access to the moonroof motor, you can test power to the motor. Likely two wires, one wire to power the motor to open and another to power the motor to close (turn motor in opposite direction). The switch could also be at fault since it powers the open or close wiring to the motor through different circuits as seen at the motor.

Good luck.

Slick Fan

Utah
But the motor should have one power contact for open and another for close. Power for open (if that is what the click means) does not mean there is power for close. Just my opinion though.
Makes sense to me!

Also, thanks for posting the photo All2cool, I've wondered what that thing is in the headliner! I just haven't been curious enough to remove it to see. LOL :D

Eddie1977

do I need to remove the headliner to replace the sunroof Motor on 2007 Lincoln Town car ?
if not how easy or hard to swap out the sunroof Motor on 2007 town car ?
help please.

HTML