Lincoln Forums Navigation:

2003 Driver's Memory Seat Control Module

jsoluna

Just picked up my 03 Signature! Sat down in it and started to adjust the seat and then it stopped reclining (it went back and then stopped) Everything else related to that power circuit functioned, including the passenger seat controls so when I got home I disconnected the battery and started investigating. 7.5a and 30a fuses are both good and connections were fine so I hooked it back up and then I lost power mirrors, power pedals, and all seat controls on driver side. This time it wouldn't even attempt to move anything that had to go through memory module processing.

Took the seat out (was not fun, broke a seat bolt in the front and the rears were real fun to get to with the seat fully reclined and retracted) and have gotten the seat on my workbench to confirm operation of the motors.

Seat forward/back, up/down, and tilt IMG_20181031_183052074.jpg all work.

Having trouble determining which wires control the seat back recline motor. The harness and connector are tucked way up in the seat foam.

I'm thinking that my issue is the control module, but for now I want to manually move the seat into position, all I need to know is what wiring controls the recline function. It's not part of the 6-pin connector for the other three motors.

(I have disconnected all wiring from control modules so that I don't make a mistake and fry something)

Any idea which wires/connector control the seat back recline motor?

Thanks all.

J IMG_20181031_183033986.jpg

Last edited:

Town

Ottawa Ontario Canada
I cannot access my 2007 model electrical diagrams, but I have attached the diagrams you need for a 2001 model. The functionality is the same but the wiring colours may be different.

For the memory features, the memory info is stored in the driver door module, so that when a memory position is activated the info is sent from the DDM (Driver Door Module) to the DSM (Driver Seat Module) to action the settings. In manual mode the manual switch reverses the polarity on the wires to the motors to change direction. So you will want to power one motor wire and ground the other to move the seat. To change the direction of the seat then reverse the wires. The seat motors are 12 volt but the communication between the DDM and DSM are not.

Hope this helps

Attachments

jsoluna

I cannot access my 2007 model electrical diagrams, but I have attached the diagrams you need for a 2001 model. The functionality is the same but the wiring colours may be different.

For the memory features, the memory info is stored in the driver door module, so that when a memory position is activated the info is sent from the DDM (Driver Door Module) to the DSM (Driver Seat Module) to action the settings. In manual mode the manual switch reverses the polarity on the wires to the motors to change direction. So you will want to power one motor wire and ground the other to move the seat. To change the direction of the seat then reverse the wires. The seat motors are 12 volt but the communication between the DDM and DSM are not.

Hope this helps
Thanks for the diagrams. That will help when I get further into the diagnosis.

For now, I just spliced in parallel for each motor and labeled the pairs so that I could reinstall the seat and manually apply voltage to move it around. It works for now, but I will need to find the cause of the problem eventually.

I think part of the key here is that it isn't just the seat controls that are inop now, it's the mirrors, seat, and pedals. Passenger side seat works fine, as do all the power locks and windows.

Town

Ottawa Ontario Canada
There are 3 memory positions: 1, 2 and 1/2 pressed simultaneously. It only works with the trans in Park. The memory settings can be programmed to your key fob which is useful for 2 drivers. Have you tried retrieving the memory for each position, and if nothing happens then re-program your seat and exterior mirrors and adjustable pedals again for each of the 3 memory positions.

The memory info is stored in the DDM and transmitted to the DSM to action.

Good luck.

jsoluna

There are 3 memory positions: 1, 2 and 1/2 pressed simultaneously. It only works with the trans in Park. The memory settings can be programmed to your key fob which is useful for 2 drivers. Have you tried retrieving the memory for each position, and if nothing happens then re-program your seat and exterior mirrors and adjustable pedals again for each of the 3 memory positions.

The memory info is stored in the DDM and transmitted to the DSM to action.

Good luck.
Its not just the memory function commands that don't work, the manual command functions on the switches themselves also are inop - the pedals, mirrors, and driver's seat manual inputs do not actually cause any of the actuators to move.

Town

Ottawa Ontario Canada
But have you tried programming the memory features again?

All those functions are wired through the DDM. So manual operation requires the DDM be somewhat functional to allow manual operation. The adjustable pedals have a plastic gear that can break usually due to putting your foot on the brake pedal while operating the adjustable pedal switch. Mirrors do not have a similar weak point. Does the manual trunk opening button at bottom of door operate correctly?

The DDM also controls the wireless features such as door locks and trunk locks and opening motor if equipped. Are you having any issues with those features? Replacement of the DDM requires programming at the dealer and usual replacement cost is about US$500.

jsoluna

But have you tried programming the memory features again?

All those functions are wired through the DDM. So manual operation requires the DDM be somewhat functional to allow manual operation. The adjustable pedals have a plastic gear that can break usually due to putting your foot on the brake pedal while operating the adjustable pedal switch. Mirrors do not have a similar weak point. Does the manual trunk opening button at bottom of door operate correctly?

The DDM also controls the wireless features such as door locks and trunk locks and opening motor if equipped. Are you having any issues with those features? Replacement of the DDM requires programming at the dealer and usual replacement cost is about US$500.
In regards to programming, I have hit the set button (which the led indicator does work for) for the #1 and #2 positions, which I assume tells the module that the current positions for all components are to be stored.

Operable
-manual and wireless operation of door locks.
-manual and wireless operation of trunk and fuel door release.

Inoperable
-seat position, manual, key, or wireless (was able to operate all with direct 12v input)

-mirrors, manual, key, or wireless

-pedals, manual, key, or wireless

That sounds like the DSM (driver seat module), I will check on that to confirm what features it controls. In your "inoperable list" you include wireless operation but none of those features have wireless connectivity. It is all done with wiring.

In your "operable list" the DDM (driver door module) controls the features, although the fuel door release may not be DDM related and is not wireless, just a button control.

The DSM controls the seat and adjustable pedals in memory mode. The DDM controls the power mirrors. Attached are the descriptions of these 2 modules and what they control. So it seems unlikely either is the problem. It appears you may have a switch or circuitry issue.

The DSM is under the seat as you know, so perhaps check the wiring there, and the switch operation in the door panel. The DDM is in the driver door panel, so to remove the panel look at our tech forum here: Town Car door panel removal see post #3 for the pdf versions of the procedures. The 2003 and up are different to earlier models in the way the switch panel is removed. As well as helping access the DDM in the top forward part of door you will get access to the seat switches to check for issues there.

Good luck.

Attachments

The DSM controls the seat and adjustable pedals in memory mode. The DDM controls the power mirrors. Attached are the descriptions of these 2 modules and what they control. So it seems unlikely either is the problem. It appears you may have a switch or circuitry issue.
Very interesting. My assumption from the beginning was that the problem with the mirrors and pedals and seat were all related. Appears they may not be.

Back to square one! Thanks, ill use the operation description and wiring diagrams to chase it down.

On a side note - what are your thoughts about using Forscan software to communicate with the various modules and PIDs on these models?

Very interesting. My assumption from the beginning was that the problem with the mirrors and pedals and seat were all related. Appears they may not be.

Back to square one! Thanks, ill use the operation description and wiring diagrams to chase it down.

On a side note - what are your thoughts about using Forscan software to communicate with the various modules and PIDs on these models?
Someone on this Forum suggested Forscan and provided a link. I looked at it but my memory is not that long so I am unsure what to think. Other members here have used: Home - autoenginuity and liked it. I saw some of their information and it looked good. You have to buy the software and the software to support your manufacturers features, Ford in this case. I would get that one but I need a laptop so more money than I want to spend.

There is probably a thread on this subject that several people contributed to.

Good luck.

Someone on this Forum suggested Forscan and provided a link. I looked at it but my memory is not that long so I am unsure what to think. Other members here have used: Home - autoenginuity and liked it. I saw some of their information and it looked good. You have to buy the software and the software to support your manufacturers features, Ford in this case. I would get that one but I need a laptop so more money than I want to spend.

There is probably a thread on this subject that several people contributed to.

Good luck.
Thanks again, when I get some time (new job, Town Car was a purchase for new travel requirement) I will delve back into the diagnostics. After doing another visual inspection of the wiring and power distribution, I'm pretty confident it's in the switching or module/modules.

I'm not a parts replacer, I want to know why something has gone wrong. My next step will be to invest in diagnostic software/hardware. I intend on keeping the car for quite some time and I'm not going to just throw modules at it every time there's an issue (even though I have seen there are consistent quality issues with some of them).

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

HTML