2003 Cartier Remote Start Question?

Tahoelover2002

Hello,

I have a 2003 Cartier that I THINK may have a factory or OEM dealer installed remote starter system. I have to go back out and take a better look but I do believe that there is one of those bypass modules under the dashboard.

I guess my question is.....if it is in fact a remote start system, how do I get a remote to work with it? How would I know what FCC ID type remote I would use? I bought the car from the daughter who's father passed away (original owner) and she couldn't any other then the OEM remote fobs and the valet ket.

Does anyone else have a 2003 or 2004 with an original system that can send me pictures of their remote and FCC IDs on them?

Any thoughts or ideas on how to possibly get this system up and running would be greatly appreciated! Thank you!

Brian J. Patterson

Northern Illinois
Hello,

I have a 2003 Cartier that I THINK may have a factory or OEM dealer installed remote starter system. I have to go back out and take a better look but I do believe that there is one of those bypass modules under the dashboard.

I guess my question is.....if it is in fact a remote start system, how do I get a remote to work with it? How would I know what FCC ID type remote I would use? I bought the car from the daughter who's father passed away (original owner) and she couldn't any other then the OEM remote fobs and the valet ket.

Does anyone else have a 2003 or 2004 with an original system that can send me pictures of their remote and FCC IDs on them?

Any thoughts or ideas on how to possibly get this system up and running would be greatly appreciated! Thank you!

Hi, Tahoelover2002.

My "thought" would be to take the car to a Lincoln or Ford Dealer, preferably the dealer who sold the car to the original owner if they're still in business. They would easily recognize whether or not a Motorcraft Remote Start System was installed on the car. In fact, if you have one, they were probably the ones who installed it.

If you have the system, they should be able to help you find a replacement remote. If you have a "third party" remote start system, they can tell you that as well, though they might not be nearly so enthusiastic about supporting it. But if you know it's there, and what brand it is, you have some chance of getting a replacement fob and getting it working. If you have no remote start at all, the dealer might be able to sell you a new one. While the system for a 2003 Town Car is no longer actively listed for sale by Ford, the dealer might be able to track one down, or might actually have one on the shelf.

Congratulations on your new purchase. Unlike quite a few of us "later owners," you got both keys, both fobs, and even the valet key.

Good luck.

CuttingToolGuy

Houston
For what it's worth here is a key & fob from a late 2002 Cartier. No remote start and nothing about remote start in my owner's manual. I do have the adjustable pedal system which i believe supposedly wasn't available until 2003 models.

Attachments

• 20200616_221454~2.jpg
    20200616_221454~2.jpg
    217.6 KB · Views: 7

Brian J. Patterson

Northern Illinois
For what it's worth here is a key & fob from a late 2002 Cartier. No remote start and nothing about remote start in my owner's manual. I do have the adjustable pedal system which i believe supposedly wasn't available until 2003 models.

Hi, CuttingToolGuy.

The adjustable pedal system was standard in 2001. It is documented on page 58 of the 2001 owners manual. If the optional memory seat/mirrors/adjustable pedals is fitted, then the pedals can have different adjustment for personality one and personality two.

The three-button fob is "different." The 2001 and 2003 owners manuals only show a four-button fob. All three of my fobs (one original, two purchased from Ford) are four-button. I suppose yours would be a "valet fob." With no ability to open the trunk, it would certainly be a good match for a valet key to actually give to a valet parking attendant.

Ford appears to have taken the approach of having the remote start as a dealer-installed option only. Unlike GM, where the remote start key is on all genuine factory remotes for cars where it was available, but only has something to "talk" to if remote start is actually fitted, Ford uses a separate fob for the remote start. It would appear that any instructions for using the Motorcraft remote start come with the unit, and are not mentioned in the owners manual itself.

The system was offered for sale back in 2001. While I don't have any part of it on my Town Car right now, I may track down a system and install it.

Good luck.

I've bought a few cars with aftermarket remote starters and no fobs including my 2007 TC.
The remote start modules have all been under the dash above the drivers footwell.

I get the model number off them, get a fob off ebay and the instructions from the internet and program them.

brewmeister

Hello,

It could be aftermarket that works with your existing fob. Firmly and deliberately press the lock button three times. It'worth a shot!