2003 Cartier Parking Assist with lights on the 3rd brake light

Maytag87

Hello all,

I recently learned my '03 Cartier has an ultrasonic parking assist feature (as seen at:
) and read the discussions on the system. My understanding is that there is a sensor (which is usually bad) under the rear bumper and I think a module (which is usually good) either on the package tray or under the rear bumper cover.

When I put my car in reverse, it sounds a tone, but I do not see any lights or beeping when I am approaching an object. There is nothing on the dash saying the parking assist is disabled. I figured I would pop off the rear bumper cover and try swapping the distance sensor. My 2005 Signature parts car has the parking assist feature also, but is also likely non-functional... I see them on ebay for 2003-2005 model years new for $230. Is the standard recommendation on this to just replace the distance sensor given my symptoms?

Thanks!
Rob

I don’t know that there is an indicator on the dash that shows the parking assist’s status. There should be a button in your overhead console with a big “R” on it. That turns the parking assist on and off. The display in the overhead console should indicate it it’s on or off when you push the button.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

My 2003 Cartier

Maytag87

Thanks @lassetexan for letting me know that there is access by removing the bottom plastic cover. I would have thought that the curve of the bottom bumper cover going to meet the bumper would have blocked access via that plate!

Thanks @Wayne A. Pflughaupt I did not know what that button did (still learning this car). Each time I press that R button on the overhead, I get a message Parking Assist Disabled, and it never goes to enabled so I am guessing a new distance sensor is in order. Would you folks agree, or is there another likely suspect?

Thanks!
Rob

dave42

Leander, TX C.K.U.
Sometimes it is the sensor(s), sometimes it is the module. Several of us have a situation where the system works in cooler or cold weather but not in any kind of heat.