2002 signature shudders 35 to 40 mph

Welcome to the busiest full-spectrum Lincoln community online!

Please join us! We'd really love to have you as a member...

KFC

Just started yesterday, while accelerating slowly it feels like I went over rumble straps between 35 and 40mph?? Any thoughts?

PantherNut

Just started yesterday, while accelerating slowly it feels like I went over rumble straps between 35 and 40mph?? Any thoughts?
This issue is called Torque Converter shudder. It's quite common. I had this issue and talked to my mechanic about it. He said he had a Mustang with the same issue. He performed a trans service and included an additive specifically to address this issue. I can't remember what the product was called. It's been three weeks since this service was performed. I still experience the shudder but i do believe it's getting better slowly.

MachMarcus

East Tennessee
Had the same thing in my 2003 when I first got her with 55,000 miles. Changed fluid and filter after purchased car, but it really didn't change it the 35-40 mph rumble strip type shudder. It was clear that the car had not had any maintenance to the transmission as the factory dipstick plug was still located in the pan. Purchased this product at O'Reilly's and dumped it in the transmission in the parking lot. Immediately fixed the issue. I changed out the transmission pan for one that has a drain plug (purchased at Advance Auto) and every 10,000 miles, I dump the contents of the pan (about 4 quarts), replace Valvoline MaxLife Synthetic and add this additive. No more shutter and vehicle now has 140,000 miles.

07-TC-SL

It could be a bad ignition coil too. Watch live misfire counts while it’s happening with a scan tool before buying any fluid or coils or parts.