• Hint: Use a descriptive title for your new message
    If you're looking for help and want to draw people in who can assist you, use a descriptive subject title when posting your message. In other words, "1998 Town Car" isn't going to indicate to anybody that you need help. However, "Need help with my 1998 Town Car" will. Be as descriptive as you can. Please use common sense... This message can be closed by clicking the X in the top right corner.

2002 LS Hard Start Fuel Smell

espo

I have a 2002 LS 8 cylinder. In warm weather, when the car is cold, engine won't start on first crank. It takes additional 1-2 cranks to start. Then there is a fuel smell similar to paint thinner. Spoke to several mechanics who said it could be several things and it would be a trial and error type repair. Also noticed recently, in park or neutral, the engine will bog down at 3000 rpm. However while driving, there is no hesitation when accelerating to pass slower traffic. Need to fix whether I keep the vehicle or sell it and I really don't want to drop big $$ replacing parts until I get to the right one. Any ideas?????

don-ohio

I know that 2003 and newer,Gen II , have a cut-out on rpm when in neutral or park. As far as the fuel smell, does it have those little pots on the fuel rail,one on each rail? They can leak or an injector can be leaking. Also check and clean MAF sensor if possible.

espo

Might start off with a general tune up, including a fuel filter.
Did a tune up with plugs, cool packs & fuel regulator with no luck. When outside temp is below 30°, it generally starts on first crank. I will look into fuel filter. Not sure that explains some tho. Thanks!

espo

I know that 2003 and newer,Gen II , have a cut-out on rpm when in neutral or park. As far as the fuel smell, does it have those little pots on the fuel rail,one on each rail? They can leak or an injector can be leaking. Also check and clean MAF sensor if possible.
Thanks!

espo

Did a tune up with plugs, cool packs & fuel regulator with no luck. When outside temp is below 30°, it generally starts on first crank. I will look into fuel filter. Not sure that explains some tho. Thanks!
Coil packs

HTML