2000 Town Car Poor Airflow at Vent registers

Skrimps

I am experiencing poor airflow at the dash vent registers. Airflow at the defrost setting or floor setting seems to be pretty good, but when I select vents only some air does come out, but it's barely a trickle. I did pop the center dash bezel out and looked down inside the middle vents to see if anything was blocking it, but everything looked okay. All the modes seem to work, just poor airflow at the vents. Max AC did increase it a little but not much. Is this just how it is or am I missing something? Doesn't seem like summertime performance would be very good, as I like to have the vent air directed at me.

wolf_walker

They don't blow as hard as they should, but it should be more than a trickle. Odds are one of the flap actuator servos is crapped out, run the climate control self test and see what it says. There are instructions here on the site.

Skrimps

They don't blow as hard as they should, but it should be more than a trickle. Odds are one of the flap actuator servos is crapped out, run the climate control self test and see what it says. There are instructions here on the site.
Hello, I did run the EATC self-test and it reported no codes. But that more or less checks the electronics (like the blend door actuator) and sensors right? My old 1996 had great air flow at the vents and I know this is a different car but I am thinking it should be better.

IMSITTINGINYOURCHAIR

My '99 model tc had poor airflow too, made the air con really not work very well, going through the trouble to clean the evap core and check the fan for blockages didn't fix it. right after that, it started getting colder out and I realized I hadn't checked that the heat worked when I bought it, turned out to be the blend door being broken at the actuator where the shaft goes into it. When I posted about the airflow trouble the responses seemed to point to it being a common problem with no solution offered other than to check the filter ( mine had none )

also, If you have to take the cowling apart, you'll need to re seal it, I got a water leak into my pass front foot well after all that cleaning. you'll need about 2 tubes of black rtv to fix it.

Skrimps

My '99 model tc had poor airflow too, made the air con really not work very well, going through the trouble to clean the evap core and check the fan for blockages didn't fix it. right after that, it started getting colder out and I realized I hadn't checked that the heat worked when I bought it, turned out to be the blend door being broken at the actuator where the shaft goes into it. When I posted about the airflow trouble the responses seemed to point to it being a common problem with no solution offered other than to check the filter ( mine had none )

also, If you have to take the cowling apart, you'll need to re seal it, I got a water leak into my pass front foot well after all that cleaning. you'll need about 2 tubes of black rtv to fix it.
Thanks for the response. Luckily, the blend door operates correctly on this car. I have done a dash out job on a previously owned 1996 Signature to replace the heater plenum (also replaced the heater core and BDA), and do not want to do that job again :LOL:. I have scoured the internet and have found many suggestions, but it looks like I either have a blockage somewhere (possibly in the evap core) or it's "just how it is", which would be too bad if that is the case.

Skrimps

@Skrimps Have you checked the vacuum lines and o-rings on the EATC unit itself? If you've run out of ideas might be worth looking into.
I did remove the EATC and looked inside, but this unit isn't constructed the same as the unit used on the MGM or older Town Car's. I recently helped my brother replace the o-rings in his 2009 MGM and his vacuum solenoids came apart easily. On this unit, they are soldered (I think?) to a bracket and I did not want to tear into it further at the time. I still haven't ruled that out just yet, but it does appear that each mode is indeed working correctly....just not very good air flow to the vents. I would have to get deeper into it and see if the door is actually opening all the way. I just haven't figured out exactly where to look yet. Air flow on the floor seems okay and the windshield seems okay (maybe a little weak though?) but airflow at the vents is pretty poor.

If its changing modes but the airflow is still weak then the suspect is probably the heater plenum door. While the 98+ TC Heater plenum is slightly different its still similar enough to a CV/GM or earlier TC one. The key difference is how the blend door module moves the heater plenum air duct. My marq one is busted and not looking forward to changing it because a lot of under hood wiring has to be undone to remove it. The real question is does it have the same lame plastic hinge design that breaks like the older ones do.

I pulled this plenum off of a 05 CV and other then a few molding differences it is identical to my 1997 and EATC or Manual HVAC use the same heater plenum..
IMG_20200618_155611189.jpg

98-02 TC
s-l1600.jpg

Last edited:

Skrimps

If its changing modes but the airflow is still weak then the suspect is probably the heater plenum door. While the 98+ TC Heater plenum is slightly different its still similar enough to a CV/GM or earlier TC one. The key difference is how the blend door module moves the heater plenum air duct. My marq one is busted and not looking forward to changing it because a lot of under hood wiring has to be undone to remove it. The real question is does it have the same lame plastic hinge design that breaks like the older ones do.

I pulled this plenum off of a 05 CV and other then a few molding differences it is identical to my 1997 and EATC or Manual HVAC use the same heater plenum..
View attachment 9761

98-02 TC
s-l1600.jpg
Thanks for the info. This is kind of where I am thinking the issue is. The 1996 TC I had would blow air out the vents only, no matter what setting I had it on. It ended up being a broken door in the plenum, which I replaced. It is not something I want to do again. I ordered a scope camera to see if I can snake it through the dash vent and see if I can find anything broken. I will have to go from there.

Skrimps

Well, the good news is the plenum door is not broken. It looks to be operating as expected, opening and closing properly. The bad news is I still don't know why airflow at the vent is so bad. The center vents are really weak and the side vents have barely anything going to them. I don't know if I can call this a weak blower issue or if it's "just how it is".

Last edited:

wolf_walker

I've been intending to buy an anemometer for years just for such use. I should look on amazon and measure mine.
I'm pretty used to it now but the flow on my 04 compared to my 90 is really anemic, especially for as loud as the blower is.

I'd be looking at the blower motor might be getting tired or the blower control module then. My 2000 had a intermittant blower module failure the blower just would work at all. Swapped it with a Wells one and took apart the old one and one of the traces was burnt. Might repair it for a backup. Common issue failure mode is only high/low blower speed work nothing in between mine was dead. Sometimes you can tap the module and it will spring back to life.

20201130-142417.jpg

The blower motor is fairly easy to the change the module isn't, its buried on the evaporator housing under the heater core in/outlet hoses. I had the wiper cowl and intake manifold off so it was easy but with everything in place its not very accessible.

Skrimps

I'd be looking at the blower motor might be getting tired or the blower control module then. My 2000 had a intermittant blower module failure the blower just would work at all. Swapped it with a Wells one and took apart the old one and one of the traces was burnt. Might repair it for a backup. Common issue failure mode is only high/low blower speed work nothing in between mine was dead. Sometimes you can tap the module and it will spring back to life.

20201130-142417.jpg

The blower motor is fairly easy to the change the module isn't, its buried on the evaporator housing under the heater core in/outlet hoses. I had the wiper cowl and intake manifold off so it was easy but with everything in place its not very accessible.
Thanks for the advice/help. The next thing I planned to look at was the blower motor itself, and I will also keep an eye on the blower motor operation and the module as well. If it's not in the blower motor, I would just be at a loss as to why.

wolf_walker

I flipped the blower on once when I had the dash face panel and vents off mine, lot more airflow. I think they err'd on the side of aesthetics over function designing the vents myself. But it still should be useable.

Also the footwell vent alternately freezes or boils my throttle foot depending on the season.

Fun fact, in my 90 there was a plastic grid molded into one of the center vent outlets, without giving Ford enough credit I snipped it out thinking it'd missed QC somehow, to find later that particular vent had way more flow than the others(path of least resistance I assume), if I closed that vent a hair it evened things out again.

lincolnzay

Well, the good news is the plenum door is not broken. It looks to be operating as expected, opening and closing properly. The bad news is I still don't know why airflow at the vent is so bad. The center vents are really weak and the side vents have barely anything going to them. I don't know if I can call this a weak blower issue or if it's "just how it is".
bro new member did you ever figure this problem out? i have a 2000 town car ac is cold as hell heater works great to but the airflow out vents sucks replaced heatercore blower moter cleaned top part and nothing? i wouldn't think its the blend door cause it would stay stuck on ac or heat? seen you are haven same problems as me get back to me if you found problem!